If the event hadnt been preceded by the preening and self-publicity of the organiser as the self-appointed guardian of entertainment on the Island, then I guess it was a good variety line up, which seems to have been relatively well attended.

Sadly, his actions and misleading comments in the build up to the ticket pre-orders is going to do little to warm him to the "anti" brigade.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God that sounds so patronising. Is this statement a reflection of the general appreciation of the arts on the Isle of Man? I'd like to think not, but the pitiful attendance at this year's recent Manx

Indeed, sums it up perfectly. It was never meant to be anything other than a kids festival and that is what it is. Anyone wanting something more has a multitude of options on the mainland.

Come off it, apart from the weird 80's thing, which could be aimed at anyone, it's all for kids, with the possible exception of Spandau Ballet, and I'm not sure who they're aimed at. I think the organ

Posted Images

If the event hadnt been preceded by the preening and self-publicity of the organiser as the self-appointed guardian of entertainment on the Island, then I guess it was a good variety line up, which seems to have been relatively well attended.

Sadly, his actions and misleading comments in the build up to the ticket pre-orders is going to do little to warm him to the "anti" brigade.

Agreed. Even now the organisors still can not stop having a go

"when the odds appeared to be so firmly stacked against us thanks to the undermining of this festival by the Manx Government! They tried to deny the people of the Isle of Man and 1,000's of visitors who came specially one HUMONGOUS party...but in the end the PEOPLE's will triumphed and silenced the prophets of doom"

Considering that they or a related entity allegedly owe a fir bit in tax to the IoM Governmemt, the financial hole in the IoM Governments accounts and that the majority probably did not want taxes to fund a private festival it is probably best to just let it lie.

Agree with Ooogie largely although I am really not sure about the 20-30000 attendees based on Sundays attendance.

So if the company who organised the festival is wound up in the same manner as Street Heritage with sizable debts. who ends up paying the debts if they have no assets ?

If Telecom end up with a sizeable bill for sponsoring an event which makes a sizable loss, how do they cover the cost of that bill ?

And Lonan, sorry, just because you picked people up who enjoyed themselves, i cannot agree that therefore the event was a success. As mentioned, those that did attend seemed to enjoy themselves. However, in order for something to be a success surely it has to be commercially viable and actually make some money ?!

Will await the real figures/costs/profits etc and if wrong my hat is ready to be scoffed. However I dont think that will be the case speaking to those at the festival and some folk in government.

See u all at Mannifest which is shaping up to be a great event !!

the 'guardians of musical taste' whose heads are so far up their own arses that I can't understand how they can hear anything at all.

Beautifully put - almost poetic and an amusing scenario to imagine.

"when the odds appeared to be so firmly stacked against us thanks to the undermining of this festival by the Manx Government! They tried to deny the people of the Isle of Man and 1,000's of visitors who came specially one HUMONGOUS party...but in the end the PEOPLE's will triumphed and silenced the prophets of doom"

The only phrases missing are capitalist lackeys and that could have been penned by the North Korean News Agency.

The final verdict would I suggest principally lie in the counting of the pennies.

I know I shouldn't rise to it, but I just don't get some of the people on this forum.

Okay, the Bay Festival people said they hoped it would be all things to all people, and it wasn't. It turned out to be a pop and retro-pop festival, probably because they couldn't compete with the Isle of Wight and Glastonbury (perhaps the timing was wrong). No one forced anyone to go and, apart from some problems on Friday night because people stood on seats and weren't moved, I've heard very little complaint.

Some people have scoffed at the claim of 20,000-plus people, but there were four performances (Friday night, Saturday night, Sunday afternoon and Sunday night) with a capacity of, I think, 8,000-10,000 each. Hitting 20,000 doesn't sound that much of an exaggeration, it's roughly half the available tickets.

Surely we should be encouraging diverse entertainment. If kids want to go and see JLS or 30-somethings want to see Kim Wilde, good luck to them. Everyone is raving about Mannifest, but I won't be there - I have heard of precisely fuck all of the line-up that appears on the website and it sounds like the kind of drippy, middle-class hippy, suit by day, bong by night wankfest I would rather eat my own ears and eyes than risk hearing or seeing.

However, someone is taking the trouble to organise it, some people seem excited and if it blossoms I may be exposed to a more diverse range of music than I am at the moment, and learn to appreciate the acts on offer. In fact, I think diversity in the available arts is so important, I think the taxpayer should, where appropriate, contribute to events like this. I would have no objection about a proportion of my money being spent on Mannifest and other arts, or simple entertainment, so we don't have to go back to the days of my youth when the villa/gaiety had nothing and it seemed no one else had the balls to go out and try to do their own thing.

"Mainland" ?

Yes. The big bit of land where the boat usually goes, comprising England, Scotland and Wales.

it sounds like the kind of drippy, middle-class hippy, suit by day, bong by night wankfest I would rather eat my own ears and eyes than risk hearing or seeing.

Roflmao, and don't forget the white man with dreadlocks juggling, between sessions of bad didgeridoo playing. Orrsumm.....

• Like 1
it sounds like the kind of drippy, middle-class hippy, suit by day, bong by night wankfest I would rather eat my own ears and eyes than risk hearing or seeing.

Roflmao, and don't forget the white man with dreadlocks juggling, between sessions of bad didgeridoo playing. Orrsumm.....

and he can stay out as late as he likes, as long as he doesn't wake mummy and papa when he gets home - they've got lunch with the Bishop tomorrow and need their sleep!

dear god, why dont all the chav / hippie mannifest supporters / organisers start their own thread (possibly entitled 'my heads stuck up my arse and i cant find my ganja') and those who dont want to pay taxes start their own thread to and leave this thread to supporting the effort, diversity and what would appear to be the success (from speaking to all those who attended) of the bay festival!! i was one of the initial groaners of the bay festival when the line ups were announced but went with my wife and sons to the Sunday afternoon event which was fantastic, the venue, weather & atmosphere were just awsome for the isle of man, so much so that we hung around for the sunday evening which, up until Rick Astley bored us to tears with his self criticism, was fantastic also! (The Real Thing were best by far) - build on this, like i said before, bigger acts next time and a few bits of tinkering behind the scenes and this can be huge!!

We paid £1,461.95 for High Roller tickets for four people, as a Christmas present to our children

lol. Christmas is ages away.

Those stories are brilliant. 'Other people were enjoying themselves at a concert, down with this kind of thing!'.

If you want to sit on your chuff and watch JLS, stay at home and watch the telly!

We paid £1,461.95 for High Roller tickets for four people, as a Christmas present to our children

lol. Christmas is ages away.

Those stories are brilliant. 'Other people were enjoying themselves at a concert, down with this kind of thing!'.

If you want to sit on your chuff and watch JLS, stay at home and watch the telly!

Didn't attend, but if the layout was anything like the Peel Bay Festival I could see the point regarding premium tickets . Clearly there have to be a range of ticket prices, but having a group of bigwigs sitting stony-faced in the front few rows isn't great for atmosphere. Better to put those prepared to pay for premium tickets in raised sections either side of the stage with separate and properly secured access and let the rest jostle for position within designated standing areas: high priced standing in front of the stage, medium priced standing halfway back and cheap standing right at the back. Everybody wins!

...let the rest jostle for position within designated standing areas: high priced standing in front of the stage, medium priced standing halfway back and cheap standing right at the back. Everybody wins!

post-16013-127720435257_thumb.jpg