Callow's Yard 'jewel Of The Island'

manshimajin

To go from the designer shops selling expensive washing up bowls to a half hearted Pound shop and discount clothing area within such a short time smacks of desperation.

The place is a disaster. They obviously couldn't sell any of the apartments and houses when they had an open day a few weeks back, so are now looking at making them into tourist accommodation. Hopefully they will employ someone to park the guests cars as I'm sure not many holiday makers will want to carry their bags all the way from the nearest car park.

The whole project was badly designed and poorly implemented. The shops have no flow, the apartments and houses have no privacy or vehicular access and the standard of finish isn't very good at all (corroding electronic door handles, loose slabs, etc.).

The question is, what can be done with the site that would prove a success without massive outlay? I doubt very much whether the owner has the right answer yet.

Who gives a fuck? Seriously? A private developer privately bought some land, built some shop/flat/hotel/jazz bar/whatever fucking dreamed-up shit he decides on next, and swaps stuff around a bit looking for a business model that works.

Yeah, he should have had a business model first. Yes, he should give things a chance to work before changing them, again. Yes he should have worked more closely with other town retailers and the town itself to identify what was needed and would be supported. Yes, he shouldn't be so rude about his potential customers.

But it's his fucking money and his fucking land. You want something else, dip into your own fucking bank account and build it yourself.

If it goes completely tits up, Castletown will still have a much tidier area in the centre of the town and some quite useful shop units, which someone with a better understanding of the retail industry might be able to do something positive worse.

It's summer. Go outside.

• 2 months later...

"Tony Brown says Callow's Yard hasn't yet been as successful as hoped, but it certainly shouldn't be written off yet."

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=47388

What amazes me is how anyone could spend 20 million and end up with such poor build quality in the courtyard. Given the state of the Island's finances would anyone care to guess when Callow's Yard will actually turn a profit?

Relatively speaking, there's little parking especially when compared with Tynwald Mills.

You should know by now that most IOM residents won't entertain the idea of parking more than 25 metres away from where they want to go. Just check the scamble for free parking on Douglas prom most days. It's a jungle out there...

Relatively speaking, there's little parking especially when compared with Tynwald Mills.

You should know by now that most IOM residents won't entertain the idea of parking more than 25 metres away from where they want to go. Just check the scamble for free parking on Douglas prom most days. It's a jungle out there...

I park at Tesco's, my mother goes shopping and I head off to Newson's, Morrison Photos etc.

Was there on Sat afternoon and I couldn't believe how dead it was - there seemed to be only 2 or 3 shops open and no-one was in any of them! Went to go for a cup of tea in 'the little mouse' teashop(I think it was called that)and was appalled - the place stank of a cross between stale chinese and stale chippy (both of which had doors leading into the tea rooms for some reason). We beat a hasty retreat. Such a shame!

An interesting fact in Calows yard is the bloke who had the resteraunt in the sea terminal and went bankrupt (I wonder if everyone got payed) has now in his wifes name bought the chip shop there. Thats yet another unit gone downhill.

Who gives a fuck? Seriously? A private developer privately bought some land, built some shop/flat/hotel/jazz bar/whatever fucking dreamed-up shit he decides on next, and swaps stuff around a bit looking for a business model that works.

Yeah, he should have had a business model first. Yes, he should give things a chance to work before changing them, again. Yes he should have worked more closely with other town retailers and the town itself to identify what was needed and would be supported. Yes, he shouldn't be so rude about his potential customers.

But it's his fucking money and his fucking land. You want something else, dip into your own fucking bank account and build it yourself.

If it goes completely tits up, Castletown will still have a much tidier area in the centre of the town and some quite useful shop units, which someone with a better understanding of the retail industry might be able to do something positive worse.

It's summer. Go outside.

Well said