Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
cheeky boy

Sefton Group

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, MrPB said:

If that’s the case why wouldn’t you? IOMG pays operating company to refurbish it’s property asset, undertakings given in respect of the amount loaned by operating company (s). Value of refurbished property asset goes up, you then move the property asset into a holding company and you lease it back to the operating company (which might have made undertakings to IOMG over the loan). What does operating company now have? No property asset and a debt to the holding company for the duration of the lease due and a debt to IOMG (?) 

AKA debt mysteriously vanishes, leaving concern with vague liability concealed in a maze of ownership.

Which ultimately ends up at the feet of the taxpayer who stumped up for the loans without even being consulted because it it was all deemed as being necessary for the greater good. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MrPB said:

If that’s the case why wouldn’t you? IOMG pays operating company to refurbish it’s property asset, undertakings given in respect of the amount loaned by operating company (s). Value of refurbished property asset goes up, you then move the property asset into a holding company and you lease it back to the operating company (which might have made undertakings to IOMG over the loan). What does operating company now have? No property asset and a debt to the holding company for the duration of the lease due and a debt to IOMG (?) 

Bit like the old dog's hind leg then. Who would ever have guessed ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth pointing out that IoMG Tourist Premises Loans and Grants are usually secured on the property by mortgage. They won’t just disappear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Worth pointing out that IoMG Tourist Premises Loans and Grants are usually secured on the property by mortgage. They won’t just disappear.

John is right (no name pun intended) the grants/ loans will be secured against property. If they disappear it will be because they've been settled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, emesde said:

Capture.PNG.d3d63df7964120f1c1f5aad6c60ab0a2.PNG

 

Ooh - Harwood Investments Limited have a mention in the panama papers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Ooh - Harwood Investments Limited have a mention in the panama papers

Not this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 1:31 PM, Donald Trumps said:

Who is Douglas Hotel Holdings?

They are a significant share holder of the Sefton Group, not sure it’s a asset transfer as I think there was a transfer of funds of £7m purchase price to the Sefton group to clear debt

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, Dirty Buggane said:

But the Government is spending millions giving them a fancy new frontage or was that part of the sales patter. We have the boys in on the hill in our pocket, we can get you anything you want

They have been trying to sell the executive suites for some time now.I think they were created using a government grant. They are on the market for £395,000 each.

Edited by Moghrey Mie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

They have been trying to sell the executive suites for some time now.I think they were created using a government grant. They are on the market for £395,000 each.

£300,000 grant given - some of which has been repaid due to change of use

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On MR, Skelly says it will   '"release capital " ??? What capital?

Can anyone remember how much the Govt have loaned the Sefto? Was it ringfenced for specific use on the Sefton business?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly there is something I don't understand here. They've sold the hotel for £7.4m, but agreed to pay at the least (rises every 5 yrs) £12m in rent over the next 20 years. What's the point in that? 

Edited by TheTeapot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It’s usually done to strip out the operating business and move all the assets and income up to the holding company. The hotel management company basically just services a lease debt to the holding company supported by trading receipts. Holding company gets to keep the property gains when realized and all the lease income. So £7.4m hotel might be worth £20M in 20 years plus £12M in rent paid. Will probably be a repair lease too for the hotel business.

Isn't it a financing transaction?

SG needs cash and so sells hotel but also needs hotel to trade and so leases it back.

This frees up some cash and allows trade to continue but has a cost.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...