i think Kate Beecroft is showing a lot of good potential. I'm glad she is there and it is reassuring to think there are people trying to keep an eye on things.

Remember, the people of Douglas South nearly went for that knuckle head* Bill Malarkey. A man who has proven himself to metaphorically get into bed with the Government (he would have been a Minister by now if he had got in - frightening) and not so metaphorically get into the hot tub.

*I don't mean this disparagingly. I just think his head looks like a knuckle.

Damn! You're right!

roasted_pork_knuckle.JPG

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or: Tynwald is clearly being abused by some members who are effectively using it as a retirement fund.

In the Report ‘Government Support for the Sefton Group’ there are a number of what might be called core or central propositions which if successfully challenged render the supporting explanations stan

It is self interest, short-sightedness, poor planning, and thinking we still live in the 1950's, that has made Douglas the ever-worsening shit hole it is. People need to stand up against such iss

Posted Images

The Isle of Man Government and the Members of the Parliament has sent out a message to the international business community, from the debate held on Tuesday the 21st of May, and it is that so long as any inconvenient and uncomfortable facts are kept concealed from public scrutiny, anything goes.

The worst thing you can do in the Government’s handbook is to try to expose wrongdoing and hold them to account for misuse of public funds.

It now appears to be evident that the Government and many elected representatives in the Parliament of the Isle of Man care little or nothing for truth or law when either proves to be an obstacle to satisfying the demands of wealthy vested interests.

We have witnessed what takes place when wealthy businessmen dictate both the scope and policy of Government actions we have seen the outcome when politicians are more than willing to subjugate the workings of the elected Parliament to the objectives of private individuals.

The public invariably pays the highest price not just in money, but in the further diminishment of democratic accountability of our elected representatives to us.

We have been very badly served by this Government because this Government does not think it is there to be of service to us. It has proved beyond any doubting that it acts in the service of private interests above any consideration for the people of the Isle of Man.

I applaud Mrs Beecroft and the other Members of the Tynwald who supported her efforts, those who did not do so should reflect on the reasons why they did not and I suggest consider who it is that has elected them and for what purpose.

The Three Pals.pdf

• Like 2

The Isle of Man Government and the Members of the Parliament has sent out a message to the international business community, from the debate held on Tuesday the 21st of May, and it is that so long as any inconvenient and uncomfortable facts are kept concealed from public scrutiny, anything goes.

The worst thing you can do in the Governments handbook is to try to expose wrongdoing and hold them to account for misuse of public funds.

It now appears to be evident that the Government and many elected representatives in the Parliament of the Isle of Man care little or nothing for truth or law when either proves to be an obstacle to satisfying the demands of wealthy vested interests.

We have witnessed what takes place when wealthy businessmen dictate both the scope and policy of Government actions we have seen the outcome when politicians are more than willing to subjugate the workings of the elected Parliament to the objectives of private individuals.

The public invariably pays the highest price not just in money, but in the further diminishment of democratic accountability of our elected representatives to us.

We have been very badly served by this Government because this Government does not think it is there to be of service to us. It has proved beyond any doubting that it acts in the service of private interests above any consideration for the people of the Isle of Man.

I applaud Mrs Beecroft and the other Members of the Tynwald who supported her efforts, those who did not do so should reflect on the reasons why they did not and I suggest consider who it is that has elected them and for what purpose.

As Al Pacino would say, 'Quite the bunch of wise guys' aren't they?

I thought Ms Beecroft & Mr Cannan spoke intelligently & with some passion on the matter

Was the CM weeping into his hanky? I think we should be told..

What I can't get over is the sheer co-incidence that govt loaned Sefton Group £1.3m in cash, and that the former Co Sec sold shares to the value of £1.3m before accepting the position of Acting Attorney General

but did he really sell the shares??

in the newspaper it says:-

Mr Quinn confirmed he had held 1.4 million shares in the company but on learning of his appointment as acting AG he had disposed of the majority of his shares 'to avoid any suggestions it was in my interest to seek to influence any decision making in government concerning Sefton"

On the last AR it shows as joint shareholders ML & Mrs HJ Quinn = 1.403,656 shares

look at the choice of words in the newspaper article and why

held and not owned?

disposed of and not sold

what in number terms does majority refer to?

and besides my what about his wife's interest?

you might also wonder:-

to whom? and

if an outright disposal, or not, i.e. held on trust and if so by who for whom ?

and at what price (if any)?

In the interests of openness and transparency surely the information should be made public.

What do you think?

you might also chew over and consider that, per the last published accounts to 31 Dec 2011, John Quinn acting AG had a loan due to him by the Sefton Group of £220,833 ( he had previously lent the company £250,000 at rate of 8% (presumably per annum?) as working capital).

wonders if any of the previous Government £450,000 loan last year or the more recent loan has been used to repay the acting AG's loan? answers or comments please.

thank you.

OaP

Edited by on_a_pension

In the interests of openness and transparency surely the information should be made public.

What do you think?

It is information available to the public. Go to the registered office, pay your nominal £1.50 or whatever it is and request sight of the register of members

"Freedom to Flutter" with other people's money

"Freedom to Finance Failing Businesses" with other people's money

The Sefton is involbved with big, big money men. Who don't have the confidence to refinance the business themselves.

Just use the phrase "local jobs will be saved", something like that. Good ol' Allan an' Eddie and a touch of Shimbo surely will get us out of the shit. With other peoples' money.

Edited by RonnieD

"Freedom to Flutter" with other people's money

"Freedom to Finance Failing Businesses" with other people's money

The Sefton is involbved with big, big money men. Who don't have the confidence to refinance the business themselves.

Just use the phrase "local jobs will be saved", something like that. Good ol' Allan an' Eddie and a touch of Shimbo surely will get us out of the shit. With other peoples' money.

+1 this is so so true.

Debate is now in Hansard:

The Hon. Member for Douglas South (Mrs Beecroft) to move:

That Tynwald does not approve of the actions of the Council of Ministers in respect of the loans to the Sefton Group and the purchase of the Middlemarch site from the Sefton Group.
A simple enough motion you might think. It was debated and the result of the motion was as follows (page 104):
Mr Hall
Mr Karran
Mr Cannan
Mr Houghton
Mrs Beecroft
Mrs Cannell
AGAINST
Mr Ronan
Mr Crookall
Mr Anderson
Mr Bell
Mr Quayle
Mr Teare
Mr Cregeen
Mr Henderson
Mr Robertshaw
Mr Shimmin
Mr Cretney
Mr Watterson
Mr Skelly
Mr Gawne
The Speaker
In the Council – Ayes 1, Noes 5
FOR
Mr Turner
AGAINST
Mr Corkish
Mr Wild
Mr Crowe
Mr Downie
Mr Braidwood

Seems bizarre that the answer about whether or not the Government have a clear title to the 'middelmarch' site is "I think we do "

THINK !!! I would have to more than think before I released millions of public money !

Seems bizarre that the answer about whether or not the Government have a clear title to the 'middelmarch' site is "I think we do "

THINK !!! I would have to more than think before I released millions of public money !

Well if you were using public purse funds to bale some old chums out you wouldn't want to appear to be to specific in your detail as it wouldn't leave as many options for the next round of bullshit and lies.

Hence the uncertainty of 'I THINK' is more desireable rather than 'I KNOW' to a slimy politician.

• Like 1

I've just had a little read of that....Braidwood and Teare are so rude to Kate Beecroft, they've no manners at all. I would be outraged if anyone spoke to me like that and I'm just 'a person', she is an MHK, fair enough they are too but, that certainly shouldn't exclude them from having a level of decorum when talking to a lady, especially in Tynwald, have they forgotten what it is? Cheap gutter sniping at a lady? Someone should have a word with them.

Hahaha, Watterson complains about Karran saying "It's not what you know but who" - 2 minutes later Eddie is on his feet saying "I have got pretty wide contacts throughout the economy of the island" - isn't that a bit like, who you know not what you know?

Eddie is on his feet saying "I have got pretty wide contacts throughout the economy of the island" - isn't that a bit like, who you know not what you know?

Those contacts thought so highly of him that when he was made redundant/took redundancy from IOM that he ended up as the runner for a local solicitors!

• Like 1

I've just had a little read of that....Braidwood and Teare are so rude to Kate Beecroft, they've no manners at all. I would be outraged if anyone spoke to me like that and I'm just 'a person', she is an MHK, fair enough they are too but, that certainly shouldn't exclude them from having a level of decorum when talking to a lady, especially in Tynwald, have they forgotten what it is? Cheap gutter sniping at a lady? Someone should have a word with them.

Hahaha, Watterson complains about Karran saying "It's not what you know but who" - 2 minutes later Eddie is on his feet saying "I have got pretty wide contacts throughout the economy of the island" - isn't that a bit like, who you know not what you know?

I can excuse Braidwood he is intellectually challenged but Teare in his grandiose roll of Treasury Minister should be capable of at least disguising his contempt for those would question him.

It would also be interesting to know what Braidwoods definition of successful is in respect of the monies invested in Pinewood ? perhaps he knows something which is clearly not obvious via the balance sheet !!

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1

Braidwood has a degree in engineering or whatever. Hardly intellectually challenged. But he is a freemason which I suppose gives him the feeling he can shit on others who aren't likewise so clubbed, I don't know. Freemasons are a bit old school and do have a reputation of being masoginistic and all that I would say. Of course there are no women on their club and so they aren't used to women speaking on a similar level. It stinks.

When an MHK is rude to another MHK they are effectively being rude to the people they represent. It's naughty.

Edited by RonnieD