Fire Near Peel

IOMRS97

Anybody know what was on fire near Peel this evening? Smell of burning rubber and lots of smoke drifting over the town.

I've heard rumours about Peel girls but that was many years ago, and even then I'm sure they could neve have managed quite that much smoke!

They were buring off some old fence posts and other farm land rubbish, when a patch of grass near by caught fire. Not a major problem on its own, by the grass was on a mound that covered old tires (unbeknown to the people present).

Sure enough the tires went up in timely fashion and caused all the black smoke.

Took the fire service an hour to get the fire out.

Had to laugh when one of my mates who was present showed me his shoe that had warped from the heat, while he was trying to remove tires from the area to reduce the chance of the fire spreading.

Edit to Add:

This was down at Knockaloe Beg (spelling?) farm. My mate who was there got some real up close pictures.

Edited by MilitantDogOwner

Anybody know what was on fire near Peel this evening? Smell of burning rubber and lots of smoke drifting over the town. Pic taken with HTC Desire Android. Not the power station - it looked to be further South.

must have been this one

http://www.three.fm/newscentre/isle-of-man-news/fire-safety-team-urge-public-to-take-precautions-when-lighting-bonfires-over-summer-months-1815