Well, We All Knew It Was

x-in-man

Oh, and that junction at Ballafesson is a joke. I'd been using the previous one for over 30 years without a problem. Since it was re-profiled I am unable to come off it (towards Douglas) without veering onto the oncoming traffic..

Do you drive a bendy bus ?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving today past the "works" at Richmond Hill, it crossed my mind that although the rise in level is ultimately the same,to get to the new "flyover" section is quite a lot steeper than the even gradient that we had before.

Will this not cause HGV'S and the like to travel even slower up the steeper incline than before? causing even more reckless overtaking maneuvers to get past the slow moving HGV'S.

I have seen HGV'S getting stuck at the slight incline on Peel Road at the end of Athol Street traffic lights when they are loaded and the road is slippery because of rain after a long dry spell.

Any professional drivers like to comment.

The gradient of the flyover is the safety aspect, slow traffic to a crawl and there will be fewer accidents!

They could use the same thinking to reduce the jams at Gov Bridge and Qbridge roundabouts, make the approach roads really steep downhillers and the traffic will speed up, hey presto, everyone gets through quicker.

Simple logic really isn't it?

One wonders if the bus stop heading south with a waiting area the size of a postage stamp is a temp. one.

if not ........

there is going to be an accident .. sorry collision.

Accident assumes no one is to blame.

The whole scheme is a giant reminder to everyone, come the election, just what the people we vote in think is a good way to spend tax payers money.

'We are confused as to why they are now saying it's too big.' he (Mr Davidson) said. He described as 'a load of baloney' claims that the car park was so large the Home can't take in any more horses.

He said a total of 1.1 acres of land was used for the whole car park and entrance and the minimum amount of grazing land for one horse is one acre."

I'm guessing that Davidson's estimate is based on the average horses people keep, not massive shire horses, and surely it also depends on the quality of the land at the grazing it offers, rotation, social questions, what the current distribution of horses per acre is.

Yet again, I heard someone on the radio the other day(I can't recall if an MHK or DoI spokesbod), saying that this scheme was equally as important to keep the DoI manual staff in work.

Why not just get them to fix the rest of the fucking roads, which frankly are a disgrace in many places.

How they can even contemplate bringing back Hannay as a 'consultant', based on the legacy he has left behind is just astonishing.

Yet again, I heard someone on the radio the other day(I can't recall if an MHK or DoI spokesbod), saying that this scheme was equally as important to keep the DoI manual staff in work.

Why not just get them to fix the rest of the fucking roads, which frankly are a disgrace in many places.

If I remember correctly, Cannan and a few of the other MHKs asked exactly the same question in Tynwald recently, with little in the way of a satisfactory answer in response.

I think the key to understanding some of this is that Ministers sometimes answer questions like these by saying the schemes are important not just to keep DoI staff in work, but to provide work for private industry as well (as I think was stated with regards to Richmond Hill) - it is more or less official policy that Tynwald subsidise the private construction firms on the Island to a significant amount of money. A lot of little jobs like road improvements and maintenance can be done largely in house, but for something as big as the Richmond Hill project you have an excuse to bring in and provide money to private firms, consultants, etc.

How they can even contemplate bringing back Hannay as a 'consultant', based on the legacy he has left behind is just astonishing.

THEY ARE WHAT??????????????????? :o :o :o

/falls off chair

They had to take Hannay back, his job as a designer with Dandara fell through when they heard him saying, '... now if a horse needs 1 acre, then a family of four will need.........'.

...and his one man band act bombed...so his retirement savings went down the tubes

• 2 weeks later...

'Lost Login' said on 15 July 2010

"In my opinion just as in the UK. I believe all Charities should be obliged to submit publically avaialable annual reports as to be blunt it is a disgrace they are not and it leaves them open to abuse. However typical for the IoM nothing will be done about the issue unless a scandal arises."

As the Treasurer of a local charity (Southern Befrienders), I know that you DO have to submit annual audited* accounts to the General Registry - Charities Section. A nasty letter from the AG ensues if they are late. See www.gov.im/charities

They are publically available too. Either in person at the General Registry, or if you ask nicely they will email them to you. Not sure if there's a charge for the latter or not, but I think you can view them in person gratis.

*or reviewed, depending on turnover.

'Lost Login' said on 15 July 2010

"In my opinion just as in the UK. I believe all Charities should be obliged to submit publically avaialable annual reports as to be blunt it is a disgrace they are not and it leaves them open to abuse. However typical for the IoM nothing will be done about the issue unless a scandal arises."

As the Treasurer of a local charity (Southern Befrienders), I know that you DO have to submit annual audited* accounts to the General Registry - Charities Section. A nasty letter from the AG ensues if they are late. See www.gov.im/charities

They are publically available too. Either in person at the General Registry, or if you ask nicely they will email them to you. Not sure if there's a charge for the latter or not, but I think you can view them in person gratis.

*or reviewed, depending on turnover.

In person at the Registry after you have passed through security.

Just got back from the Horses Home...loads of DOT workers ( can't be arsed with new name) all busily constructing something. Nice big car park,with plenty of spaces for the disabled, who then have to climb a very steep incline to get to the cafe.

There were four of us and a two year old, we had a reasonable but very expensive tea /sandwiches / cake etc, and I bought a tiny metal truck for the kid which cost £4 95 ! That was ok as it is a charity and admission to see the horses is free.

Then I went browsing in a little room full of secondhand books, some good condition some not so good, I selected four somewhat tatty looking novels and went back to the gift shop to pay for them, where the two horse faced old crones in charge informed me " that will be six pounds"........I raised an eyebrow in surprise and the more patronising of the crones, the one with the hairy chin followed up with " most people are aware that this is a charity and are quite happy to pay."

I didn't. Neither, judging by the mountain of unsold second hand books , did most people.