Town Characters

Max Power

When I was a kid in Douglas, there seemed to be an abundance of people who were classed ass 'characters'. I can't remember them all but does anyone know what ever became of some of them or remember any others?

I'll start with the ones I remember.

John Corris, known as the dealer!

Bah! Who used to stand on street corners and greet tourists shouting at everyone and everything passing.

Old John, a very short Manxman with bandy legs who was always telling you that 'the Russians are coming'.

Flash Harry, used to be found around the town taking pictures of young ladies wjth his Kodak instamatic. Legend has it there was no film in it!

Sydney, a nice fella who had monkey like features.

Fishy, a tall bloke with a big chest, worked in Devereaux's fish shop next to Woolies.

Tommy Joughin, always pushing his carrier bike around followed by his faithful dog.

The Millers, proper rag and bone men with a horse and cart.

Old Pownall, lived in his shop selling firewood, parrafin and knicknacks in Finch Road where the hairdressers are under the carpark for Murray House. Used to chase us with a horsewhip for playing on his roof!

Mavis, lived in Strand St. in her mother's second hand shop opposite the leisure inn. Always seemed to miss her mouth with her lipstick.

I guess most of them will be dead by now, does anyone remember them or any others?

Flash Harry, used to be found around the town taking pictures of young ladies wjth his Kodak instamatic. Legend has it there was no film in it!

So the rumour went!

As it turns out, I think he did have film in it at least some of the time - I'm sure I remember my mum telling me that one day he turned up in one of the pubs showing people the photos he'd just had developed.

Edited to add: Also, the aul' fella who used to hang around the Tardis (Lionel?) and was sometimes subjected to people sticking Bushy's stickers on his hat and/or jacket.

Edited to add: Also, the aul' fella who used to hang around the Tardis (Lionel?) and was sometimes subjected to people sticking Bushy's stickers on his hat and/or jacket.

was he the same bloke who previously used to collect glasses in Bushys ?

was he the same bloke who previously used to collect glasses in Bushys ?

Could have been, though I don't remember so it might have been a little before my time. He used to wear a tweed jacket and flat cap, fairly short - unkindly referred to as Father Jack now and again.

Tommy Joughin, always pushing his carrier bike around followed by his faithful dog.

Tommy was found dead with his faithful dog by his side in the underground tunnel where he used to live on King Edward Road above the former Howstrake Holiday Camp, many, many years ago!

LT

Who is the woman that wears several different outfits each day, and walks through town shouting abuse at nobody in particular?

That was me exploring my feminine side. Turns out my feminine side is scary and upsetting, so I've decided to try and burn it out by going on a diet of drawing pins and battery acid.

Stay tuned for regular updates on my exciting journey through the world of mentalism and bizarre self harm.

well i suppose now we have:

the chinese woman who walks up and down the prom with her dog in the pram.

the tall guy who walks the prom with his liverpool fc, coat,t shirt (summer only)...

butch the seafood cook

the mature paperboy who does the daily delivery around athol street

etc etc etc

..in the underground tunnel where he used to live on King Edward Road above the former Howstrake Holiday Camp, many, many years ago!

Where is the underground tunnel? Was this the one that went under the tram lines?

We have a character or two in Peel.

The first one that comes to mind is the worlds most ignorant tramp,you need to be special to even get a grunt.

I was unforutnate to be down wind of him today and he Stinks! The hells angels would not put up with that.

Edited by mudcheck