Jump to content

Town Characters


Max Power
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/8/2021 at 5:44 PM, Eric Sloane said:

John Corris was called the dealer. I am told that it was owing to his being the dealer in underground card games.  I once took him round the art exhibits at the Peel Gardners Association Show as judge. John was clearly a fine artist.

 

I always thought his name was to do with the fledgling weed industry of the time, he was a scary looking dude in his day!

I'm beginning to wonder if I am morphing into one of those unusual town oddballs? 

The current crop don't seem so outrageous or amusing any more? People are taking themselves too seriously these days, or is mental health care better than it was, despite being pretty crap?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I always thought his name was to do with the fledgling weed industry of the time, he was a scary looking dude in his day!

I'm beginning to wonder if I am morphing into one of those unusual town oddballs? 

The current crop don't seem so outrageous or amusing any more? People are taking themselves too seriously these days, or is mental health care better than it was, despite being pretty crap?

Is he still around? Thought he got the name from dealing at school gate's wearing that big black coat!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, finlo said:

Is he still around? Thought he got the name from dealing at school gate's wearing that big black coat!

I believe he's still about, I haven't seen him knowingly since the 70s. I don't think dealing at school gates was his sort of thing, he always seemed a serious sort of bloke?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/9/2021 at 12:13 AM, prism10 said:

... Wasn't Heinz Wolf some kind of Manx chess champion.

 

If you are referring to whom I think you are referring, I believe he may have been. 

(I assume you are referring to the person with electro-shock Heinz Wolff style hair who used to yell out that he couldn't stand the noise - or was it that he couldn't stand the silence?  I can't remember.  I think a work colleague of mine who was a few years younger than him told me that he'd suffered some kind of breakdown or other mental health issues at university.  That is assuming it's the same person of course).

I'd never seen this old thread before it was resurrected.  Reading about "Bah!" and also about the guy out at Howstrake (did somebody say that was Tommy Houghton?) really brings back forgotten memories!

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2021 at 12:44 AM, Ghost Ship said:

 

If you are referring to whom I think you are referring, I believe he may have been. 

(I assume you are referring to the person with electro-shock Heinz Wolff style hair who used to yell out that he couldn't stand the noise - or was it that he couldn't stand the silence?  I can't remember.  I think a work colleague of mine who was a few years younger than him told me that he'd suffered some kind of breakdown or other mental health issues at university.  That is assuming it's the same person of course).

I'd never seen this old thread before it was resurrected.  Reading about "Bah!" and also about the guy out at Howstrake (did somebody say that was Tommy Houghton?) really brings back forgotten memories!

I posted the wrong name, the chap at Howstrake was Tommy Hammond. I used to chat to him often about cycling when I was a kid as he passed our house. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...