Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
thelegend

New Fuel Stations

manx petroleum has taken over the shell garages,but all there stations are 1p a litre more,why?and they state on there sign to support the local!

manx petroleum has taken over the shell garages,but all there stations are 1p a litre more,why?and they state on there sign to support the local!

First this is old news, second, get your facts roght, at the moment the Brown Bobby is 1p cheaper than Total.

First this is old news, second, get your facts roght, at the moment the Brown Bobby is 1p cheaper than Total.

your facts are wrong,brown bobby diesel is 129.9 and total 128.9. get out more often.

Edited by thelegend

your facts are wrong,brown bobby diesal is 129.9 and total 128.9. get out more often.

Dont be a knob you did not say just deisel you said all fuel, I just filled up with unleaded and it was 1p cheaper Shell always used to be deater for diesel and total dearer for unleaded so no change there

your facts are wrong,brown bobby diesal is 129.9 and total 128.9. get out more often.

Dont be a knob you did not say just deisel you said all fuel, I just filled up with unleaded and it was 1p cheaper Shell always used to be deater for diesel and total dearer for unleaded so no change there

knob!from a knob who cant spell.

I am finding it hard to follow this thread while laughing at all the spelling mistakes.

Please note I have read them before the re-edits

Edited by Manx Barge

Bah spelling doesn't really matter when you can't be arsed.

...and anyway the difference in price between the duopoly is the square root of bugger all. I got petrol for 113.9 at a Shell service station in Swansea on Monday - a minor diference when compared with our Island prices.

PS:I had to go through 'security' at Douglas before taking the car on the Ben. As always they manage to keep a straight face whilst asking "are you carrying any additional fuel?" - surely one of the most superfluous questions that could be asked. I imagine our UK visitors flock here to buy extra petrol.

...and anyway the difference in price between the duopoly is the square root of bugger all. I got petrol for 113.9 at a Shell service station in Swansea on Monday - a minor diference when compared with our Island prices.

PS:I had to go through 'security' at Douglas before taking the car on the Ben. As always they manage to keep a straight face whilst asking "are you carrying any additional fuel?" - surely one of the most superfluous questions that could be asked. I imagine our UK visitors flock here to buy extra petrol.

hehehe very true, I have to admit I prefer shell as it seems a cleaner fuel than total and this new manx fuels is in effect shell fuels with a new badge

hehehe very true, I have to admit I prefer shell as it seems a cleaner fuel than total and this new manx fuels is in effect shell fuels with a new badge

Yes, the question always seems like one they should be asking when your boarding at Heysham or Liverpool! I wonder what percentage of manx motorists going to UK don't eke out their petrol/diesel supply until they get to Heysham/Lancaster or to Liverpool? and how many of us don't fill our fuel tank to the brim before coming back over?

I did a quick calc - and a very approximate one at that!

I do about 5 trips to UK per annum. I normally fill up every 2 weeks on the Island. So let's say that would be 26 tankfulls less the 5 on the way into the UK and the 5 on the way back. So that means I get 16 tankfulls on the Island rather than 26. So I buy less fuel here than I would do if the prices were competitive with the UK. By charging me 10% (approx) more than I pay in the UK they sell me 38% less fuel. Obviously it varies according to how often you are off the Island but overall its a vicious circle - charge excessively more and people will buy less fuel here if the opportunity presents itself to buy it cheaper in the UK.

Edit: Just to put £ signs on the above. (Approximately) because I buy some fuel in the UK rather than here I don't spend £635 p.a. at local fuel stations. So in my particular case the IOM fuel stations make an extra £80 p.a. on the fuel they sell me by charging me about 10ppl above UK average and lose £635 p.a. of sales.

Clearly this is not the case for every motorist.

But even if the car as only filled up in the UK instead of the IOM on one trip over (two fills) the IOM service station would be making £129 p.a. on the fuel they sell them by charging them about 10ppl above UK average and losing £127 p.a. of lost sales.

Edited by manshimajin

Well, in the old days, Esso was always slightly more expensive than Shell, but they gave you vouchers you could collect to get cheap crystal glasses etc. I guess that is how they were paid for. After Esso left, Shell was always slightly more expensive than Total, probably to pay for the Shell points club, which is now no longer applicable over here. So I don't know what the current excuse is.

I still always buy Shell VPower and will continue to until they stop selling it. Engine runs much smoother on it and it gived me about an extra 2 MPG. Plus, when you put your foot down the result is much more immediate. Expensive but good value for money.

Yes, the question always seems like one they should be asking when your boarding at Heysham or Liverpool! I wonder what percentage of manx motorists going to UK don't eke out their petrol/diesel supply until they get to Heysham/Lancaster or to Liverpool? and how many of us don't fill our fuel tank to the brim before coming back over?

I did a quick calc - and a very approximate one at that!

I do about 5 trips to UK per annum. I normally fill up every 2 weeks on the Island. So let's say that would be 26 tankfulls less the 5 on the way into the UK and the 5 on the way back. So that means I get 16 tankfulls on the Island rather than 26. So I buy less fuel here than I would do if the prices were competitive with the UK. By charging me 10% (approx) more than I pay in the UK they sell me 38% less fuel. Obviously it varies according to how often you are off the Island but overall its a vicious circle - charge excessively more and people will buy less fuel here if the opportunity presents itself to buy it cheaper in the UK.

There is another factor I believe someone calculated a while back and that was to take into acount the cost of the MoT in the UK and to add that on average a certain amount is conned out of you by garages to get it to pass this, if I remember correctly then you would have to do about 900 miles a week to make petrol on the island work out more expensive, so in effect we pay the same. Now on your theory I can't really use that one as I have been across by car once in the last 18months and that is about the average for me.

There is another factor I believe someone calculated a while back and that was to take into acount the cost of the MoT in the UK and to add that on average a certain amount is conned out of you by garages to get it to pass this, if I remember correctly then you would have to do about 900 miles a week to make petrol on the island work out more expensive, so in effect we pay the same. Now on your theory I can't really use that one as I have been across by car once in the last 18months and that is about the average for me.

I agree that my calculation does not apply to everyone. Many people will not go over annually - but quite a few will go over several times a year. OTOH I assume that visitors will in the main make sure that their cars are full to the brim before getting on a ferry - so our petrol stations will miss out on selling much fuel to them.

In relation to the MOT, if you are a Manx motorist buying petrol in the UK you don't have to pay the costs of an MOT - you just get your fuel for 10% or more less than Manx prices when you arrive and before coming home. I suspect that the MOT may therefore be a bit of a red herring?

PS: Jimbms I have tried to put some £ signs against my comments above as an addendum to them.