Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
manshimajin

Phil Gawne

Some of PG's recent actions are covered in other threads - but I thought it might be worth a seperate thread on his recent behaviour. He is not a Minister that has been covered in glory in the past but all of a sudden he seems to have started, to use an Americanism, 'to kick ass'. He is certainly getting stuck in to some of the 'public service' sacred cows - Jim Davidson and that car park, Ann Reynolds and the lack of efficiency at Ronaldsway (got it right-phew), and now he is onto the DoI's failure to consult properly on motor duty.

All of these in themselves are small items but if this is a pattern of behaviour it starts to become interesting. Will it start putting pressure on other Ministers to tell their Departments that they are going to be made more accountable and cost effective?

It reminds me of that episode in 'Yes Minister' when Jim Hacker announced on Television a change in a policy that Sir Humphrey had been blocking - with the sting in the tail that he had been assured by his Department that it would happen and that if it didn't they would make sure that 'heads would roll'.

Is PG just getting rid of his frustrations or does he have a higher agenda such as a run for CM?

does he have a higher agenda such as a run for CM?

IMPO Yes

I don't think there is necessarily a higher agenda. No one is going to pick up votes for CM by speaking out, unless it was a public vote.

It's about time we heard more from Phil Gawne, I would say he was elected by the people of Rushen for his passion based on his history.

I don't think there is necessarily a higher agenda. No one is going to pick up votes for CM by speaking out, unless it was a public vote.

It's about time we heard more from Phil Gawne, I would say he was elected by the people of Rushen for his passion based on his history.

I may be cycnical, but as there is an election next year they may be trying to say that they are challenging Government over their decisions and provide greater scrutiny. Why they have left it to now is up to the electorate to speculate!

Some of PG's recent actions are covered in other threads - but I thought it might be worth a seperate thread on his recent behaviour. He is not a Minister that has been covered in glory in the past but all of a sudden he seems to have started, to use an Americanism, 'to kick ass'. He is certainly getting stuck in to some of the 'public service' sacred cows - Jim Davidson and that car park, Ann Reynolds and the lack of efficiency at Ronaldsway (got it right-phew), and now he is onto the DoI's failure to consult properly on motor duty.

All of these in themselves are small items but if this is a pattern of behaviour it starts to become interesting. Will it start putting pressure on other Ministers to tell their Departments that they are going to be made more accountable and cost effective?

It reminds me of that episode in 'Yes Minister' when Jim Hacker announced on Television a change in a policy that Sir Humphrey had been blocking - with the sting in the tail that he had been assured by his Department that it would happen and that if it didn't they would make sure that 'heads would roll'.

Is PG just getting rid of his frustrations or does he have a higher agenda such as a run for CM?

You’ve raised a very interesting question – are these a series of random acts by a Minister who is still fairly new in post, simply probing around assorted issues that have their roots in the era of his predecessor, or is it something more co-ordinated and part of a wider agenda?

In considering the answer to that question, it’s perhaps useful to rewind 8 or 9 months to when PG was at DAFF. In the immediate wake of the VAT crisis, he closed down some support and grant schemes and generated some immediate financial savings. Not a great deal of money, as I recall, but it was a symbolic act that showed he had a grasp of the concept that ‘making savings’ means government has to stop spending. I find it hard to re-call that any other Minister has made any similar visible savings, since that time.

Now, we have the various messages he’s sent out about waste and high costs in his new Department, and he’s potentially lifted the lid on a big can of worms regarding labour costs and terms across the whole of government.

Whether this is the start of a run for Chief Minister, it’s far too early to say, but it does seem to be a deliberate effort to force some issues where he knows savings can and must, ultimately, be made, into the public arena.

He’s done so during the summer recess when the political dynamic is very different and the media are looking for juicy material to exploit. It would seem from the Manx Independent yesterday that he has an ally in Richard Butt whose leader effectively expanded the Airport issues to encompass the whole of the public sector!

It will be interesting to see if any other Ministers, come out in support of his efforts............if one or two can be persuaded to do so and the debate PG as generated in the last few days can turned into some real momentum to finally start tackling difficult issues, then Arkwright’s days are numbered, and PG could emerge as the possible leader of a new vanguard.

He's moved from a small department to a large one. It's worth noting his last dept delivered a new green HQ on time & on budget. There've been a few instances recently (college refectory for one) where costly practices have come to light once the new minister is in charge. But none in Gawne's old department.

As to CM ambitions, I bet Brown put him into DOI to thwart his ambitions. That Dept is involved in so many and controversial things (Airport, Road tax, Richmond) that everyone has an opinion on, that it's a poison chalice. Especially, now renta mouth Hanney's gone, he'll be asked to comment most days about some fuck up or other.

There's already a section of the electorate won't vote for him because of his past, now he's got a role where he can't avoid pissing off large chunks of the rest.

Pity.

Especially, now renta mouth Hanney's gone, he'll be asked to comment most days about some fuck up or other.

Director of highways Bruce Hannay to retire after TT

But Brucie is coming back as a 'consultant'. Safe, secure, at a distance, with plenty of wedge.

I bet Brown put him into DOI to thwart his ambitions. That Dept is involved in so many and controversial things (Airport, Road tax, Richmond) that everyone has an opinion on, that it's a poison chalice. Especially, now renta mouth Hanney's gone, he'll be asked to comment most days about some fuck up or other.

I wouldn't be surprised. It was a very political reshuffle - Craine's a sacrificial lamb for the preservation of Bell, and will end up taking the flak for what were largely his mistakes; Gawne's been shuffled off to infrastructure, the public face of treasury and government waste, where he can be roasted; and both Cretney and Shimmin are marginalized in the Departments of odds and sods, and spuds n' herring respectively.

Meanwhile, Bell is being protected and groomed for the CM post, being put in the ever so important DED where he can escape the having to come up with an unpopular budget next year; Teare's been airlifted from Health, where he was largely unpopular, to education where he can talk a big game, make a couple of superficial cuts and be proclaimed a hero, Anderson escapes his own legacy at the DOT, and Ernie and Martyn Chuckle are kept in the back room where they can largely stay out of trouble.

It was already fairly obvious from the voting records and previous history who in CoMin consisted of Brown's friends and allies, but the shuffle makes it blatant.

it's about time someone got Government by the neck and started getting some sense of purpose into it, not the cosseted existance and 'money no object' must have the best attitude with grandiose schemes which never work

good onya fella !

IMO he's doing this because there's an election coming up and he's trying to distance himself from the rest of the pack. The question the electorate have to ask themselves is do any pud these MHKs deserve to get back in. IMO the answer is no.

[

Unless he can do the unthinkable and actually turn the department round.

In a year? And to an extent that it's noticeable to the public? Even if he does turn it around the results won't be apparent for a few years.

Maybe, Homer forbid, that he actually listened to what the electorate said in the recent by-election. It is obvious people are well miffed with this present government and want more openness and accountability by the fact that the successful candidate and his nearest rival are both on that ticket. Refreshing that someone considered a maverick to a degree is feeling confident enough in the run-up to the general election to air his views in a controlled way. I have heard more than one MHK talking about accountability as an important issue in the 'near future' (read election). Of course this sudden concern may well disappear once re-elected, like many past manifesto commitments by 'independents' , but it is nice to see while it lasts.

I see Phil as one of the few conviction politicians in the house and not riding on the coattails of his friends or family connections. Good on him but I don't see CM as an ambition he harbours, quite likely just the reverse as i suspect he favours a popularly elected CM rather than the 'old boys club' and 'buggins turn' we enjoy at the moment.

Despite his years of quietness and keeping his head down, if he shows himself willing to speak out and propose unpopular measures now, then he could be a popular choice for the 'next' CM., the other mhks, particularly the younger ones, Watterson, Cregeen, Crookall might prefer someone else to do the dirty work for one term and then mount their challenge?