Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
ThankU

Inflation Rate

Does this result in civil servants and MKKs getting a payrise of the same 5.3%

One of the best ways of bringing down inflation (and improving the island's competitiveness) would be for everyone (across all sectors and trades) to take a significant pay cut - and to work a little extra every day for free. This could be encouraged with some sort of national campaign under which it would be emphasised that not taking a pay cut would be economically unpatriotic and anti social.

In a larger and more sustainable economy a bit of inflation might be no bad thing.

One of the best ways of bringing down inflation (and improving the island's competitiveness) would be for everyone (across all sectors and trades) to take a significant pay cut - and to work a little extra every day for free. This could be encouraged with some sort of national campaign under which it would be emphasised that not taking a pay cut would be economically unpatriotic and anti social.

In a larger and more sustainable economy a bit of inflation might be no bad thing.

Hmmm, I can see that being a vote winner. Ever thought of standing for the House of Keys????????

Nope. the civil service (and I'm assuming the MHK's) all got a one off non pensionable lump sum of £300 each for 2009/10, and have been given a pay freeze for this year. It has also been mooted that the pay freeze will be a 5 year thing too. Add to this the inflation rate currently standing at 5.3%, and with the proposed pension reforms leading to up to 5% more contributions it is pretty much in real terms a large pay cut

Hmmm, I can see that being a vote winner. Ever thought of standing for the House of Keys????????

Well no. But then again if I ever did I would stand on what I believe rather than what people wanted me to say. Which means I would never get elected ! Waste of time.

On the same basis I don't vote for candidates who stand on populist agendas or start by asking me what I think is important. I always want to know what they think first. They should stand on their own beliefs.

This goes directly against your normal mantra, of free market/little interference. It's also very commie :)

Nope. the civil service (and I'm assuming the MHK's) all got a one off non pensionable lump sum of £300

I think it was actually 200 quid. Only 50% out. You could work in government with those figures.

This goes directly against your normal mantra, of free market/little interference. It's also very commie :)

You've misunderstood my mantra* :) I'm not some kind of petit-bourgeois Thatcherist.

* most likely I have left the wrong impression.

This could be encouraged with some sort of national campaign under which it would be emphasised that not taking a pay cut would be economically unpatriotic and anti social.

All I can imagine is a cut glass voice on the radio saying things like "Juan Goodfellow is a true Manxman: he has no money so feeds his children on woodchips and grit instead. What's more, you won't hear him or his family complaining about it either, not when it's for the good of the country. Bravo, Goodfellows! No feeble Belgians they!"

Whenever a Government uses an overt appeal to patriotism, my first instinct is to do the exact opposite to that being demanded. There's something so patronising and downright shifty about it.

This could be encouraged with some sort of national campaign under which it would be emphasised that not taking a pay cut would be economically unpatriotic and anti social.

All I can imagine is a cut glass voice on the radio saying things like "Juan Goodfellow is a true Manxman: he has no money so feeds his children on woodchips and grit instead. What's more, you won't hear him or his family complaining about it either, not when it's for the good of the country. Bravo, Goodfellows! No feeble Belgians they!"

Whenever a Government uses an overt appeal to patriotism, my first instinct is to do the exact opposite to that being demanded. There's something so patronising and downright shifty about it.

Exactly. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I suggested a national campaign.

Nope. the civil service (and I'm assuming the MHK's) all got a one off non pensionable lump sum of £300 each for 2009/10, and have been given a pay freeze for this year. It has also been mooted that the pay freeze will be a 5 year thing too. Add to this the inflation rate currently standing at 5.3%, and with the proposed pension reforms leading to up to 5% more contributions it is pretty much in real terms a large pay cut

It was actually £200 - before tax and NI at the higher rate.

Exactly. My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I suggested a national campaign.

Also, public perception of high inflation generally leads to higher inflation, so your campaign could backfire.

It was actually £200 - before tax and NI at the higher rate.

And you'll discover MHKs didn't get it.