House Sales

manshimajin

I can't see that place selling very easily

Tree stumps are a very individual taste I would admit, but if you take the furniture out of the photos it looks like a fairly bog standard bugalow to me. It reminds me a little of those 'Location, Location' style shows where people find a house in the right place and then, horror, horror, it has an avacado bathroom suite. So they run off. The issue is not about furniture but about location and price.

i know of 20 homes sold out of 40 new ones that just gone on the market in the last 3 months

I know of one development where most of the 'homes' listed as sold were in fact not sold - it was just to create demand. They later came on the market again despite never being occupied.

In the bubble in Ireland developers regularly 'bought' homes themselves so the estate agents could say that x homes had already been sold 'you need to get in quick'. Then once the rest had been sold they got rid of the ones they were holding on their books. Caveat emptor.

BTW has anyone heard anything about Lorne House? I still shudder when I hear £15 million but I haven't seen it on property websites of late.

I'm not referring to the decor (you should have seen the state of houses we've bought!) I meant that for £400,000 it's obvious it isn't worth that wherever it's location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/sep/02/house-prices-fall-second-consecutive-month

House prices fall for second consecutive month, says Nationwide

House prices fell by 0.9% in August, while the three-month rate of change fell from 1.2% to 0%, Nationwide's latest index shows

This is of course in the UK and not here in magic land.

I was told by a local EA that an apartment in Castletown that had been on the market for about 18 months at £695,000 has now been dropped by £100,000 which still leaves it costing a lot for 2 bedrooms.

OTOH I note a change in tune from EAs. Previously it was pushing the price up to get the business. Now it seems to be along the lines of 'you need to price realistically if you want to sell'...

I was told by a local EA that an apartment in Castletown that had been on the market for about 18 months at £695,000 has now been dropped by £100,000 which still leaves it costing a lot for 2 bedrooms.

OTOH I note a change in tune from EAs. Previously it was pushing the price up to get the business. Now it seems to be along the lines of 'you need to price realistically if you want to sell'...

Exactly what I'm seeing - I am following things closely as I'll be selling here and moving back next year. Daft prices just sit and stagnate.

BTW - this appartment - it's not one of those by the sea front is it?

Things must be worse than I thought.

Cowley Groves' pullout in the Courier tonight didn't say things were still wonderful and actally advised people to consider more realistic pricing. :o

Fair enough - they are having to consider more realistic commissions... :D

Property prices have finally got real in Ireland - Galway man offering house for anything over one euro - that, I believe, is a builders finish four bedroom house set in a one and a half acre plot with fitted kitchen. There is a catch of course - the lawyers fees would be at least a couple of hundred euro and then of course there'd be rates to pay. I'm not sure if I should skimp on lunch tomorrow and bid two quid, a bite of my sandwich and half of my kit-kat, or just wait for a bargain closer to home.

Double dip is on the way so many experts think for the Uk.

what effect this will have on us who knows

IMO: 25% drop in price in next 6 to 12 months followed by 5 years' stagnation.

what here on the island u think it drop that much.

i think the only way it will drop that much. Is if there is a sudden exit of people leaving the island, like a lot of job lose somewhere.

Double dip is on the way so many experts think for the Uk.

what effect this will have on us who knows

IMO: 25% drop in price in next 6 to 12 months followed by 5 years' stagnation.

what here on the island u think it drop that much.

i think the only way it will drop that much. Is if there is a sudden exit of people leaving the island, like a lot of job lose somewhere.

The US economy is going nowhere in a hurry, all signals from the US are not at all good. Add a nice touch of pessimism to the financial markets and people will stop taking out reckless mortgages. IMO the 25% drop will happen when this bubble bursts, remember a lot of money has been taken out of the Island's economy and there's Ma Craine's budget to come early next year which should reassure no-one.

2011 should be a buyer's market with any luck. :P

The US economy is going nowhere in a hurry, all signals from the US are not at all good. Add a nice touch of pessimism to the financial markets and people will stop taking out reckless mortgages. IMO the 25% drop will happen when this bubble bursts, remember a lot of money has been taken out of the Island's economy and there's Ma Craine's budget to come early next year which should reassure no-one.

2011 should be a buyer's market with any luck. :P

Wishful thinking.