The Abbey Restaurant

Called in to the Abbey Restaurant in Ballasalla for a coffee this morning. Excellent coffee. The cakes looked good too - shame about the diet as home made Victoria Sponge would have been a good accompaniment. The lunch menu also looked good.

Sarah and Artan who run the restaurant were very welcoming and the place has been restored very well indeed.

Another place to have a good cappucino - the numbers are growing thank goodness.

Just remember not to stop at the Rushen Abbey carpark but to follow the signs for the coach parking as it takes you round to the front of the Abbey Hotel.

PS: nice to have a place at a Manx Heritage site that is not run by a catering chain.

Edited by manshimajin
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

some of the tastiest and meals are made from offal or cheaper cuts. It has far more flavour and more interesting textures

I feed my dog pork belly!

How American is that...pork belly...it's belly pork goddammit!

Posted Images

Called in to the Abbey Restaurant in Ballasalla for a coffee this morning. Excellent coffee. The cakes looked good too - shame about the diet as home made Victoria Sponge would have been a good accompaniment. The lunch menu also looked good.

Sarah and Artan who run the restaurant were very welcoming and the place has been restored very well indeed.

Another place to have a good cappucino - the numbers are growing thank goodness.

Just remember not to stop at the Rushen Abbey carpark but to follow the signs for the coach parking as it takes you round to the front of the Abbey Hotel.

PS: nice to have a place at a Manx Heritage site that is not run by a catering chain.

I saw the evening menu for this place and it looked very nice but no-one I know has been there to eat yet. Sounds like it could be worth a trip from the very far north

The wife and I have been and loved it. Really great environment and the food was really good though I agree that the portions could be a little bigger. However we didn't leave hungry by any means.

Will definitely be going again.

Had a lovely lunch there, but I consider £25 for afternoon tea for 2 is a bit steep!!

One may want to say what said afternoon tea consisted of.

Was back for a coffee and scone this morning - the scone was excellent - not always the easiest thing to find made well funnily enough. Noticed that the afternoon tea was sandwiches, cakes and tea/coffee for two.

P.S. I was told that the caterers (Liverpool Arms) who are running the cafes at Manx Heritage sites have just given up one of their locations (due to not taking my tablets I can't recall whether it was Niarbyl or The Sound). Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Edited by manshimajin

Had a lovely lunch there, but I consider £25 for afternoon tea for 2 is a bit steep!!

One may want to say what said afternoon tea consisted of.

Was back for a coffee and scone this morning - the scone was excellent - not always the easiest thing to find made well funnily enough. Noticed that the afternoon tea was sandwiches, cakes and tea/coffee for two.

P.S. I was told that the caterers (Liverpool Arms) who are running the cafes at Manx Heritage sites have just given up one of their locations (due to not taking my tablets I can't recall whether it was Niarbyl or The Sound). Has anyone else heard anything about this?

It was Niarbyl. The contract to run that site ended earlier in the year ( I don't recall when exactly )and was put out to tender.

Went there the other evening. It was ok. Best to get a side order if you order a steak, because you just get a steak.

Environment, decor etc are well done, but a little sad as I remember it is a very nice pub with an automaton thingummy and a Boy Named Sue on the jukebox. I suppose the days of pubs like the Rushen Abbey are long gone. But restaurants like the Abbey, or the Station PSM seem like forlorn ghosts of their former life.

• 1 month later...

Been twice now. Excellent place with lovely decour and ambience. The recognisable menu description also has the element of surprise as the presentation is imaginitive and adds to the overall meal. The Burger for instance, comes on a wooden board with side salad, a tin bucket of french fries and aoli dip. The burger is hand made. You can have it cooked to your liking, chargrilled and its about an inch thick.

Highly recommended and its been packed everytime i've been, even on a Monday afternoon outside peak luchtime.

Love it! Congratulations to all concerned.

Went on Friday night.

It was OK. Food was better than the service. Little things like having to ask to get our drinks order taken, no water on the table, no bread, lack of sugar and mints with the coffee...minor things but when you put the prices at that level, these are the things that you shouldnt notice.

On the plus side, its an interesting menu, food was very good and the Guinness was one of the best I have had!!

7.5/10

I went on Saturday. The food was good, but we were completely ignored after the dessert course - no offer of a coffee, another drink, nothing. It felt like they couldn't wait for us to ship out. As WSAG says, it's too expensive a place for that sort of treatment, especially as it also requires a £25 taxi to get home afterwards in my case as I live in Douglas. I am unlikely to bother again