Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
manshimajin

The Abbey Restaurant

We went here recently, four of us, for dinner. I thought it was time someone posted a fresh review. I hope it's helpful.

I started with beef carpaccio, which was very good, but not cheap and not much of it. Mrs WB had the pesto stuffed calamari, again a small portion, but well prepared and a novel approach that went down well.

For main course she ordered lobster in a tomato and basil broth. Verdict was it's too acidic, but sensitively cooked. Not overdone as so often happens. I tried the greedy boy's dish, confit of lamb with sausage, goat's cheese souffle etc. An odd assortment which did not really work for me. The lamb simply tasted as if it had been stewed for hours. Not a good plate for £26!

We had plenty of wine and generally came away happy, if somewhat poorer at around £50 per head with tip - and one of us was designated driver, so on water only. Not sure they full deserved the tip, as it was quite hard to attract attention at times. We waited ages for the bill.

We would go again if we were in the area, it's a great room with plenty of space, but not worth special journey.

We went here recently, four of us, for dinner. I thought it was time someone posted a fresh review. I hope it's helpful.

I started with beef carpaccio, which was very good, but not cheap and not much of it. Mrs WB had the pesto stuffed calamari, again a small portion, but well prepared and a novel approach that went down well.

For main course she ordered lobster in a tomato and basil broth. Verdict was it's too acidic, but sensitively cooked. Not overdone as so often happens. I tried the greedy boy's dish, confit of lamb with sausage, goat's cheese souffle etc. An odd assortment which did not really work for me. The lamb simply tasted as if it had been stewed for hours. Not a good plate for £26!

We had plenty of wine and generally came away happy, if somewhat poorer at around £50 per head with tip - and one of us was designated driver, so on water only. Not sure they full deserved the tip, as it was quite hard to attract attention at times. We waited ages for the bill.

We would go again if we were in the area, it's a great room with plenty of space, but not worth special journey.

Must admit last few times we've been recently we've left slightly disappointed. The honeymoon period for them is clearly over and it shows.

ETA: Apparently they've got a new chef. Explains things.

Edited by Lxxx

Ate there last week with the other half, couldn't fault it. I had the seabass which was gorgeous and himself had the pork belly which I tasted and was amazing too. The restaurant was full and didn't have a problem getting the waiters attention. Might be hit and miss maybe and we got it on a good day :)

Belly pork down the Bay Port Erin with black pudding soaked in Calvados is something I'd recommend to anyone. Unless your a cubber or have any hereditary history of heart probs. Or just a lazy old scrote.

I feed my dog pork belly!

If I am not sick to death of pork belly becoming 'dish of the day' everywhere, they're even raving about it on CDWM, those pretentious cretins that have taken over Masterchef, they're to blame for all this offal eating. Dog food! Damn it!

some of the tastiest and meals are made from offal or cheaper cuts. It has far more flavour and more interesting textures

• Like 2

Went recently to see if it had improved as we used to really enjoy going there. It hasn't. Don't bother.

Thanks Lxxx. I genearlly find myself agreeing with your reviews, so will not try it again. Pity, it's a nice room.

It's a great format, make the cheapest cuts the most trendy and watch people sycophant their way through a load of offal.

Me, I'd rather have a nice mullet!

It's a great format, make the cheapest cuts the most trendy and watch people sycophant their way through a load of offal.

I would lose the beard too though. smile.png

I think it's the wrong way round (but I'm not complaining), the cheaper cuts - belly pork, shin, skirt, Ox cheek etc. - do have a far superior flavour to their more expensive colleagues. They just need cooking for longer but if you're cooking a stew for example, it gives more time for it to mingle with the other guests in the dish which is always a good thing.

let's hope they don't become too trendy

Went there a couple of years ago and just missed the last Sunday lunch being served but was politly shown the bar.

Two pints of Bitburger came to the princely sum of £11.50.

Thanks Lxxx. I genearlly find myself agreeing with your reviews, so will not try it again. Pity, it's a nice room.

I do like the whole setting. I went wishing things had improved as me and Mrs Lxxx liked spending a full evening there with a nice bottle of red and the full courses. Food got sent back once, waitress haggled over one course when it was really unnecessary, bad attitude, plus a hefty bill at the end. Sad to say they have burnt the bridges now. It'll still be full every week though, lack of competition will do that on a small rock.