Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
RamseyGraham

Samsung Internet@tv

I'm looking to buy one of the new Samsung TVs which has their Internet@TV built in but I read on a forum that the Internet app doesn't work in the Isle of Man or Channel Islands yet.

Does anyone have one of these TVs with the Internet@TV who can confirm whether or not it works here?

Cheers.

Yep I have a series 7 samsung and have no problem with it on internet.

are you sure you understood the question? or maybe i didn't?? i was in waltons a couple of weeks ago and they couldn't get the nice posey demo stand left of the door to work with something to do with online TV?? something to do with the isle of man IP addresses not being recognised by the the system??!! has that issue been resolved?? i get the internet on mine but only because i feed it with HDMI from my PC. but i don't get online TV on it which is what i think the OP was refering to?? i'm not saying it doesn't work, but double check.

Edited by WTF

It's the built in Internet services I'm asking about - nothing to do with a connected PC.

The Internet@TV service allows you to do things online straight from the TV like watch movies over the Internet from LoveFilm, watch BBC Iplayer access facebook etc. It is this functionality that I read doesn't work over here - probably due to our IP addresses not being recognised by Samsung's servers.

Jim or WTF does that work on yours?

my post was misleading in that i don't get online TV because i don't have a series 7,6 only here, but i posted because i was aware of what may be an ip address issue and wanted to confirm with JB that the answer he gave was what you meant as i thought it may not have been???

Did you buy a Samsung wifi dongle?

No it's wired into the router, I have heard the dongles are crap, in saying that I just found with a widger I can control the TV from my samsung phone, as for other questions, spent some time watching clips on youtube last nigh and checking my yahoo account so yes I would say that it is a genuine internet connection. If it helps I am on with wimanx on a fixed ip. as for things like iplayer I tend not to use much due to low speeds here, istead I have fixed a minipc with large hd to the tv which I dl stuff onto then watch via hdmi that way I can get bluray and hd stuff without sreaming problem ie the ilovemovies or summat like that allow you to dl a full blueray with a time limit in it for 60p all online tv can be set up to dl first then watch later making it simpler. lets face it streaming TV is still slow so dl is better, also this way no live TV no lisence needed so for the price I used to pay BBC I can now dl several bluerays a month and watch catchup tv and keep it all legal. For me samsung internet or any other is still an add on gimick that did not count on my tv choice.

i think you still need a licence because the TV has a tuner built in. the same goes for the old VHS recorders with the tuners built in. it is the equipment that is licenced rather than what you actually watch with it. if you had a B&W TV and a VCR recorder that had a colour TV tuner built in you would need a colour licence for the VHS even though you can only view in B&W!!. i suspect if you had a sky dish only and used a PC moniter to watch it on you'd still need a licence because sky transmits the BBC, clever move on the BBC's part to get sky to transmit them because you can still receive BBC programmes. the rules were made up as they went along to ensure you still had to pay the BBC, a bit like what is classed as indecent material, in the days of film each frame could be viewed and was therefore indecent ( if the image was ). with the advent of the VCR and now the various forms of picture storage, the actual indecent part can't be viewed without a suitable viewer and as such wasn't indecent in the media form, but if you have a tape or USB stick with indecent stuff on it, even though to look at you can see nothing indecent, you can be prosecuted as it it were a photo or film.

Edited by WTF

Both wrong, I have a letter from the tv licensing authority, so long as I have no aerial or satellite cable connected and do not have the tv tuned to watch live tv then I do not need the license, enclosed with the letter was my 8 months refund on the license fee.

It's amazing the amount of mis-information being posted about when you need a TV licence. It is really very very simple and this is from the TV Licensing Authority

If you are watching or recording LIVE tv, you need to be covered by a TV licence.

It doesn't matter how you are watching (or recording) it, TV, PC, Mobile, Internet. If you are watching while it is being broadcast, you need to be covered by a TV licence.

This means you don't need a TV licence to:

Own a TV (or VCR, DVDR, freeview box, sky box, etc.)

Watch DVDs or VCRs

Play computer (or console) games

Own a PC with a TV card

Watch past TV shows with the BBC iPlayer etc

Listen to freeview/sky radio stations through your hifi

Watch somebody else's TV

If you need more info ring or email them, thats all I did.

As a supliment the TV detector group now have no right of entry into any home in the UK and as such you can thell them to piss off, it also seems they have virtually no rights at all in the IoM and recieve no official backup,although for me they can come and look all is legit in this house.

There must have been a relatively recent change in the rules as it use to be a case that you needed a license if you owned any equipment capable of reviving a broadcast signal be it TV, PC with TV card ect. That was in the last 3 or 4 years as I remember looking into it for a friend going to uni with a pc with a tv card.

ETA - Not saying your wrong, and if the TV Licensing people have said all is good then I will look into it myself as I rarely watch live TV. What TV Catchup service do you use?

Edited by scarbunny

There must have been a relatively recent change in the rules as it use to be a case that you needed a license if you owned any equipment capable of reviving a broadcast signal be it TV, PC with TV card ect. That was in the last 3 or 4 years as I remember looking into it for a friend going to uni with a pc with a tv card.

ETA - Not saying your wrong, and if the TV Licensing people have said all is good then I will look into it myself as I rarely watch live TV. What TV Catchup service do you use?

BBC iplayer and the ITV one, also as we used to havve sky we still have a login to the sky player for some free channels which is also a catchup site as you dl the ful programme also a google hunt will bring up several others, in addition there are several sites you can legally hire movies they on first appearence seem to have ome time controlled encription in them. I believe the rules changed about 18 months ago after a court case brough via that Martin Lewis site where it was ruled that there had to be proof that equipment was being used for live TV as the facility built into a device was not legally proof it was being used for such and with our house there is no TV aerial fitted and no ends on the old satellite cables therefore it can be demonstrated that my equipment is not likely to be used for live tv, not sure of definition of live though, I do believe it is within 12 minutes of station broadcast. But go to the saynoto0870.com site and get the non 0870 number for the licensing clowns and tell them you do not have facility for live tv and therefore don't watch it, they send you a form out for a refund and I do believe they ask you to either email or write to say you don't use live tv.

based on that then all you need is a sort of built in sky+ with a permanent 13 minute delay between getting the signal and showing it on the screen so it is no longer 'live'

Edited by WTF