Samsung Internet@tv

RamseyGraham

Or the whole post was a clever ploy to mention the fact Sure/CW now offer broadband, and to imply they would offer a better service than MT.

Or that could just paranoia.

Maybe you're right.

Just because internet tv worked for you with no problem, and you can't envisage why it wouldn't work for everyone else, please don't treat counter examples with scorn.

I am pleased your internet tv works with WiManx. WiManx is a company I have had no dealings with, and their website doesn't big up accessibility of internet TV. Despite the cynicism, I only mentioned Sure because they do mention Internet TV in Isle of Man on their website - though admittedly Sure TV isn't due to go live until next year.

Samsung themselves have admitted the problem exists. I asked: "Is there any truth to the suggestions voiced by a representative at your Samsung call centre (0330 7267864) and online (http://www.avforums.com/forums/3d-lcd-tvs/1314558-internet-tv-not-working-samsung-3dtv.html) that Internet@TV does not currently work in Channel Islands or Isle of Man when using the local telecoms companies for broadband access? Manx Telecom have given me a brush-off, since apart from the TV my broadband connection is working fine."

They replied:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung. Kindly note that the reason behind this problem is due to licensing agreement technicalities. But this issue will be solved soon."

Your experience suggests I overstated the case when I said "internet@tv doesn't work on Isle of Man", but it is true that it isn't a faulty TV or router - it just doesn't (currently) work with Manx Telecom broadband provision - though other broadband providers are available. I may pop into WiManx tomorrow...

:rolleyes:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a supliment the TV detector group now have no right of entry into any home in the UK and as such you can thell them to piss off, it also seems they have virtually no rights at all in the IoM and recieve no official backup,although for me they can come and look all is legit in this house.

I may be wrong but I don't think that they ever had an automatic right of entry onto premises - but this has now been made abundantly clear. They could enter if invited by the householder or if they had a warrant but they needed to go to a magistrate for that.

• 2 months later...

Hey folks, just wanted to add my 2p's worth.

1st off my Panasonic Viera with Viera Cast works flawlessly, now :)

Ok gloat over.

The problem is that Samsung / Sony / Panasonic / who ever use something called GeoIP services, the idea is that based on your routers Internet IP they can work out where in the world you are and thus adhere to the various regional copyright restrictions they are contractually obliged to enforce.

Ok so nothing revolutionary there, trouble is many GeoIP services list the IP blocks allocated to the IOM ISP's as a separate location to the UK. Hence the problems. This may also explains why WiManx works and Telecom doesn't i.e. WiManx's IP block allocation has been identified / added to the 'UK' list whereas Telecoms haven't.

Whilst Viera cast worked from day 1 I had a problem with the Acetrax on-demand movie service, a quick call to their tech support guys, a few well placed GeoIP/RIPE quotes later and hey presto streaming movies :)

This really ins't the ISP's fault they do their job shifting the IP packets to/from the Internet how/what your telly's manufacturer then chooses to do with these packets is up to them.

Jimbms, you say yours works and that you are on a fixed IP with Wi-Manx. What does your IP address start with?

At home I'm also with Wi-Manx on a fixed IP on the 84.246.*.* range. Wi-Manx also allocate 109.70.*.* addresses too and maybe others.

If we can find out which addresses work I'll give the nice guys at Wi-Manx a call and ask them to allocate a working address to my house.

These TVs are seriously shiny but I don't want one if the Internet bit isn't going to work.

So is this still a problem with Samsung TVs then?

I've just got a 7000 series and the internet doesn't work on it (on Wimanx). Everything is connected ok and I can stream media from my PC so I presume it is still an IoM problem with the internet bit.

have you just spent a grand in tescos? i'm tempted, but those stupid chrome legs will be a dead giveaway to the missus the telly is new!! if they had them with a black rectangle base i'd get away with it.

So is this still a problem with Samsung TVs then?

I've just got a 7000 series and the internet doesn't work on it (on Wimanx). Everything is connected ok and I can stream media from my PC so I presume it is still an IoM problem with the internet bit.

Dave it should do, ours is a 7 series and works fine, I take it you are using wired which is how we did it as the router is just behind it. if on wireless many people have had problems with samsung wireless units.

Graham Not a clue atm will have a look tonight.

Dave it should do, ours is a 7 series and works fine, I take it you are using wired which is how we did it as the router is just behind it. if on wireless many people have had problems with samsung wireless units.

If it's a geoip issue it might work intermittently depending on what IP you get when you connect.

Nah. Got one from Waltons. A bit more expensive than internet prices but not shockingly more as I would have expected.

The chrome legs are ace, like a Cylon Base Star

Cylon is a good analogy. i looked at the 40 inch in tescos and waltons to see if it was the same model and it was. with 250 quid +/- difference in favour of tescos.

• 1 month later...

If it's a geoip issue it might work intermittently depending on what IP you get when you connect.

Slim, just noticed this, you may have hit the nail on the head there, I have a fixed ip and because of other problems I got it within the UK range of addresses.