Trevor Baines

Max Power

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I knew the Rowell family that lived further up the road but Africa House was not named that when I was young, was it Greenlands or something similar?

It used to be called Woodside according to Gladys further up the thread.

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

It used to be called Woodside according to Gladys further up the thread.

It was called Woodside. Woodside Terrace butts into the side of what was his swimming pool. The street kept its name after he changed the name of the house. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

It was owned by my grandmother many years ago when it was called Woodside.  She sold it long before TB got there.  I had a look around when they were selling the contents off.  It used to be a lovely house, but is falling into ruin now. 

does it not belong  to one of Oddbins or rhaj  chatters companies , ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes it’s one of Raj’s many broken buildings scattered around Douglas. He’s like the Russian army with the trail of destruction he leaves.

There was a time when Trevor Baines was lauded as one of the great and good, especially by our politicos. Also, Raj was seen as a saviour to the island, lauded by our politicos, until it goes tits up, or they no longer serves the purpose or is of no use. Trevor Baines was expendable to IOMG, when the IOMG needs to show the UK authorities, that they take financial shenanigans seriously. Remember when he got found guilty, didn’t our politicos say that the ‘eyes of the world were upon the island’ before sentencing. Look at how IOMG treated Trevor Baines lawyer, in its zeal to show the ‘world’ how tough they are on financial crimes. I’m not defending Trevor Baines, he wasn’t whiter than white, but at the time IOMG were quite happy with him being here. The same applies to Raj, another one who got where he was by not always playing by the rules. He was found wanting by the UK tax authorities in the end. He curried influence with leading IOMG politicos, which hasn’t brought success. In the end he left the island, to another jurisdiction. Another IOM success story. 

Africa House is a mess and an eyesore, it will be like that for a while. IOMG really should be wielding big sticks and taking action, or redeveloping the whole of the area, either social housing or more nursing home facilities. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

His lawyer was shit and should have read the situation 10x better and was lucky that people felt sorry for her lack of judgement and proper perspective. Raj still visits here. He was spotted in town not so long ago. 

Im not disputing what you’re saying and you have a point. What I was trying to infer, the young lawyer as was, screwed up but was thrown to the wolves by the establishment eager to make an example. 

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Now married to a senior partner at Cains.

She isn't.

I was at a BBQ with her recently.  

But she is doing OK.

Edited by The Phantom
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

both he and Raj were used by IOM government and when they were no longer of any use to them they were discarded and turned into scapegoats. It seems nothing has changed and unless there's a mighty sea change I can't see it changing anytime soon. We're probably closer to the truth of what goes on than we've ever been, so who knows, maybe there's the appetite for it - but seeing it though is another story.

That might stand true for TB but Raj is the definite author of his own misfortune. He came here giving it the big one and screwed up virtually everything he touched. As someone has already said above all he’s left is broken buildings and f**ked businesses. 

Edited by Newsdesk

11 hours ago, 2112 said:

Africa House is a mess and an eyesore, it will be like that for a while. IOMG really should be wielding big sticks and taking action, or redeveloping the whole of the area, either social housing or more nursing home facilities. 

I did see some sort of maintenance van and tradies up there a couple of months ago. 

5 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

That might stand true for TB but Raj is the definite author of his own misfortune. He came here giving it the big one and screwed up virtually everything he touched. As someone has already said above all he’s left is broken buildings and f**ked businesses. 

Correct.  Raj did screw over quite a few people whilst here and has been rightly ostracised to some extent.

He's in Monaco now I've heard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I last saw Trevor in Tesco looking for all the world like a broken old man.

thats where i used to see him too ,  drainpipe trousers, blue trainers , pointy features and what few hair strands he had left all slicked back in to place,   i always thought he looked like a retired version of the child catcher in chitty chitty bang bang

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

thats where i used to see him too ,  drainpipe trousers, blue trainers , pointy features and what few hair strands he had left all slicked back in to place,   i always thought he looked like a retired version of the child catcher in chitty chitty bang bang

Reminded me of Montgomery Burns…

• Haha 6