Richmond Hill Shut This Weekend

Are they going to have some sort of barrier on the left as you go down the hill, to stop ne'erdowells going over the edge?

The tiny kerb that is there at the edge currently is I suspect going to see a few cars going over it, and they'll then plummet down a steep embankment which ain't going to end well.

I can see they're planting trees there so they might help in 20 years if there's no barrier.

Don't get me wrong, there should be no need at all for a barrier if people drive sensibly, and I'm not into pandering to stupidity, but if the whole exercise is to make the road safer and reduce the odds of crashes, then this seems a bit backwards.

People (ie some idiots) WILL go far too fast down there since it's now smooth tarmac and a clear, sweeping bend. But I don't really think a 3" kerb is enough to stop some vehicles going airborne when they drive too fast and mess up. If a car is going quick enough to leave the road there then it's also going quick enough that it will be a long time before it stops rolling down the bank/field off the side of that bend too.

So I hope they put something there even though it would be much better if people just drove sensibly in the first place.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could also be driving entirely safely and suffer a mechanical failure to brakes, tyres etc that could result in an unplanned aerial excursion.

Also unforeseen weather conditions, black ice, standing water leading to aquaplaning (although the latter is, I guess, unlikely on Richmond Hill :huh:)

Rain, standing water and black ice can hardly creep up on you.

Clues are, its raining, has been raining or any of the above and its fecking cold.

Hardly advanced driving stuff.

Are they going to have some sort of barrier on the left as you go down the hill, to stop ne'erdowells going over the edge?

The tiny kerb that is there at the edge currently is I suspect going to see a few cars going over it, and they'll then plummet down a steep embankment which ain't going to end well.

I can see they're planting trees there so they might help in 20 years if there's no barrier.

Cret, I doubt they will put a barrier there, as the chances of someone hitting it and bouncing to the other side of the road are pretty good, which would then endanger the vehicles on the other carriageway.

That's a very valid point I suppose, and as I understand it, that was one of the big issues with collisions on the original road so it makes sense to try and avoid that scenario.

That being the case I'm not sure what would help for blunderers on the downhill route, but I'm fairly sure it'll happen and fairly sure it won't just be once or twice. I'd be more than happy to be wrong about that though.

Rain, standing water and black ice can hardly creep up on you.

Clues are, its raining, has been raining or any of the above and its fecking cold.

Hardly advanced driving stuff.

You should aim to drive and control a vehicle in such a way

that it does not skid. This becomes more difficult when road or

weather conditions deteriorate, but by using your skills of

observation, anticipation and planning you can do a lot to

minimise the risks of skidding.

- Extract from Roadcraft

Note it doesn't say "eliminate the risks of skidding".

I note that it says - This becomes more difficult when road or

weather conditions deteriorate,

and does not point out the bleedin' obvious fact that if its shite out when you get into your car, it'll be shite out 5mins down the road.

That's a very valid point I suppose, and as I understand it, that was one of the big issues with collisions on the original road so it makes sense to try and avoid that scenario.

That being the case I'm not sure what would help for blunderers on the downhill route, but I'm fairly sure it'll happen and fairly sure it won't just be once or twice. I'd be more than happy to be wrong about that though.

atleast if you are stupid enough to fail to drive down the hill safely you have less chance of involving innocent parties. personally i think the whole hill should have been dual carriageway up and down and an armco divider up the middle.

bets on the first crash going down hill?? before christmas is my guess, but it will be a 'safe' crash now the road is sorted. it will be interseting to see if the cambers suit the drainage or whether we will have rivers crossing carriageways to ice up on the cold mornings?? creg wyllis has been shit for years in this regard as i'm sure many other places have too. for some reason having suitable gutters and drainage is frowned upon?? perhaps the recovery vehilce people pay to have shit roads?

Would it not have been possible to retain the Douglas bound carriageways and form new south bound carriageways, ie. 4 lanes. It would have saved digging them all up and extensive landscaping creating a proper (albeit short)dual carriageway. Maybe there is a reason why this wasn't done but it just seemed like a reasonable idea to me.

Cret, I doubt they will put a barrier there, as the chances of someone hitting it and bouncing to the other side of the road are pretty good, which would then endanger the vehicles on the other carriageway.

What if a vehicle travelling up the hill crashes and / or drifts into the other side of the road and endangers the lives of innocent motorists travelling down the hill. If they are hit or have to take evasive action, they could easily end up over the edge.

There are Armco crash barriers at the end of the road at the Fairy Bridge, another site where many people have crashed into the wall on previous occasions although they decided to put Armco barriers there presumably to deflect cars into the opposite carriageway and catch out unsuspecting motorists in some kind of Fairy Bridge Pinball. If it works at the Fairy Bridge, how come it wouldn't work on Richmond hill?

What if a vehicle travelling up the hill crashes and / or drifts into the other side of the road and endangers the lives of innocent motorists travelling down the hill. If they are hit or have to take evasive action, they could easily end up over the edge.

There are Armco crash barriers at the end of the road at the Fairy Bridge, another site where many people have crashed into the wall on previous occasions although they decided to put Armco barriers there presumably to deflect cars into the opposite carriageway and catch out unsuspecting motorists in some kind of Fairy Bridge Pinball. If it works at the Fairy Bridge, how come it wouldn't work on Richmond hill?

I take it you didn't realise these barriers are designed to crumple on impact and absorb the impact in a controlled way thus ensuring the vehicle does not come to a sudden stop or be diverted but is absorbed into the folding barrier.