2011 Bus Timetable Design

element_graphics

I am intending to pitch for the design of the 2011 Isle of Man Bus Timetable. Regardless of the new bus routes and times, which I believe are subject to change, I am interested in hearing the views of the general public on any issues you have had with the layout, legibility, style, ease of use or size of the existing timetable.

Your opinions are highly valuable and I would not be doing my job effectively if I did not take into account the views of the people that use the bus service.

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am intending to pitch for the design of the 2011 Isle of Man Bus Timetable. Regardless of the new bus routes and times, which I believe are subject to change, I am interested in hearing the views of the general public on any issues you have had with the layout, legibility, style, ease of use or size of the existing timetable.

Your opinions are highly valuable and I would not be doing my job effectively if I did not take into account the views of the people that use the bus service.

Thank you for your time.

I think it's fine as a temporary version.

Same printer could be employed.

The real thing will need to be A5 size

Presumably they will be losing the adverts

Keep the maps

Issue individual route versions A6 size on card at £1 each to get some revenue

Thank you for your time.

Keep the maps

The tender was in last weeks edition of the Courier. More advertising will appear in the 2011 version I'm afraid.

the old A5 format worked well for many years (and as my routes hadn't changed during this period I could still use timetables 5yrs old) - the size was just about fine, don't need MHK's photos nor the other junk just the plain facts neatly laid out - why the change to a much larger and very inconvenient format defeats me but guess those just entering a job feel they have to make a mark - luckily someelse can nornally sort out the mess.

Agree A5 is important, people who don't use buses won't understand why, but if you use the bus regularly you carry a copy with you, imagine having an A4 driving licence then you'll understand !

And would be nice to have it designed and printed on the Isle of Man - government keeps preaching about shopping local then they get them all printed off island - beggars belief

And agree lose all the advertising and narrative, just want something that tells me when the buses go, thats what a timetable is for

Make (keep, as its already available) each route map and times viewable on the internet, and easily available on modern phones, save masses of paper

Thank you for your time.

Keep the maps

Pretty much this, especially the additional A6 cards, although if they are chargeable items then no advertising.

Although a decent iPhone and Android app would be much much more convenient and quiet simple to produce.

The layout of the actual timetables is improved over the last ones, especially with colour coded routes.

A4 size is a terrible idea and should be done away with, its a lovely bit of marketing and looks good on the desk in tourist information but in use is terrible.

Although I do hope you will be doing some real leg work to find out what people want from the timetable, if this is the sum total of your customer research then you really don't deserve the contract. A large proportion of bus users won't be on the forum.

Although I do hope you will be doing some real leg work to find out what people want from the timetable, if this is the sum total of your customer research then you really don't deserve the contract. A large proportion of bus users won't be on the forum.

Real leg work will follow in due course. I have used manx forums as a starting point. Please note that I do not get paid for this.

Edited by element_graphics

I like the A4 format. It shows all the buses for the Onchan to PSM route on one page. The old A5 ones were rubbish. It's especially important to maintain this format for the PDF version.

Take current A4 brochure artwork, make it 71% of the size - instant A5. Job done, no tender necessary.

A4 version available from the website.

i agree that the A5 format is more portable but also like that more information fits into the new A4 version, therefore maybe some kind of fold-out format would be a good compromise, so that it could be carried as A5 but opens out, kind of like a map, so you can see the full picture when needed.

i personally would like to see the timetables spiral bound rather than stapled. i tend to leave my timetable open on my route in my handbag, folded back on the spine. usually after a couple of months it's looking pretty sorry for itself, and if i then need to look elsewhere in the timetable the pages get stiff. it's not the end of the world but it's something that i believe could be solved.

i'd also be interested to see a cross referencing feature on the timetable pages. for example if i was looking for a bus to go to Onchan, and was looking to get off at a specific stop, a little chart to the side saying which other routes serve the nearby area so i could look at other routes if the timings didn't work out on the other route.

good luck with your pitch

If you merely reduce the size then the print size is likely to be too small - I suspect that given most forum members are petrol heads that their use of the buses is very small and that most users will be out of their teens (or early 30's for the petrol heads here) and eyesight is not as good - try asking at the joke we have for a bus terminal to see what users want - also try not to reproduce the stupidities seen in say the displayed timetable for the route to Peel and on to Ramsey at the 'bus station' - very diffucult to determine the next bus to Peel as could be on 3 seperate timetables.

Adverts that take up the space needed for timetable just annoy.