Defamatory And Offensive Posts

I didn't get to read the post in question (I'm only aware of it because of the report in the paper) and I don't wish to debate it's content in any way. However I hope that the people involved have been suspended from this forum - it would be a shame if a few bad eggs spoil it for everyone. I hope the people at the receiving end realise that it's not the "forum" at fault and don't take it out on Manxforums.com but target the actual people who made the comments.

For all the bullshit, flaming and trolling that goes on, there are genuinely decent and informative topics and posts.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the bullshit, flaming and trolling that goes on, there are genuinely decent and informative topics and posts.

So where the eff are they?

I've never found them...

It's quite mad that someone has taken such offense. I have no idea what has gone on or who said what about whom (hope it isn't GOMH, FTR he's a mate and hopefully people know I'm kidding with him when I'm cheeky) it's a bit harsh taking someone to court over a posting, I remember a couple of times when I've wondered about the motive, what is to gain? Surely if someone writes something really bad about you, then says "Sorry." its ok, I mean that is how it works with the newspapers isn't it?

Surely if someone writes something really bad about you, then says "Sorry." its ok, I mean that is how it works with the newspapers isn't it?

David Beckham is currently suing a woman and magazine for $16m for printing a story about him. Private Eye gets sued for money every other week.

Saying sorry doesn't always repair the damage to someone's reputation - lots of people think "no smoke without fire" - and there's no telling how that can affect somebody's life.

It's no wonder MT, and then slim got rid of their forums. We're lucky that we have them, and they are a lot better moderated now, but there's always a risk that the owners will get sick of having to deal with things like this.

some 'things' just are not allowed to be raised on here even if?? true and even if?? old news. we are supposed to have forgotten all about them, and if we do remember we have to post as if we don't and they didn't happen. 'draw a line under it' = shut the fuck up.

IMHO rather than post something contentious that might cause problems for Manxforums, have the balls to create a blog in your real name and post it there instead. You can always link to it.

So where the eff are they?

I've never found them...

You obviously only read your own posts ;)

some 'things' just are not allowed to be raised on here even if?? true and even if?? old news. we are supposed to have forgotten all about them, and if we do remember we have to post as if we don't and they didn't happen. 'draw a line under it' = shut the fuck up.

If you say something very unpleasant about someone in the public eye and

1. You have no facts to back it up with or,

2. You have got the facts completely wrong,

then you have to expect that they'll be a bit miffed, to say the least - and it doesn't matter whether you do it on here or through a loud-hailer whilst riding a unicycle, naked, through Strand Street - there is the possibility of being sued.

Is that simple enough for you?

I didn't get to read the post in question (I'm only aware of it because of the report in the paper) and I don't wish to debate it's content in any way. However I hope that the people involved have been suspended from this forum - it would be a shame if a few bad eggs spoil it for everyone. I hope the people at the receiving end realise that it's not the "forum" at fault and don't take it out on Manxforums.com but target the actual people who made the comments.

Agree, and would add that it really does help the forum if people make use of the report post feature. I think given the speed at which posts disappear that there are users who do help in this regard, but it's worth baring in mind if you see a post that you think might be iffy. In particular where individuals can be identified.

Interestingly, that particularly episode has taken a rather uncanny turn of events in recent months. A serious matter indeed.

Some people never learn..

Agree, and would add that it really does help the forum if people make use of the report post feature. I think given the speed at which posts disappear that there are users who do help in this regard, but it's worth baring in mind if you see a post that you think might be iffy. In particular where individuals can be identified.

The post was reported within hours of it happening, but it took some days before anything was done about it..

Sadly, the Forum owners give a lot of leeway on here - but there are those who don't know when to stop..

The old saying stands true 'abuse it and you lose it'

If the hat fits - wear it!

Well intill he made comments in the news paper id say well over half the people in the island did not not anything about what was said.

I knew something had been said on here but did not know what was said.

That was in till it was in the paper,

now every person that reads it knows about it, where b4 it would prob have been vary few.

Funny old word.