Defamatory And Offensive Posts

I find it rather interesting that on Tuesday 28th September, the front page of the Examiner proclaimed

Another weekend of drunken violence
including at the bottom a report of someone having their neck broken after a fight outside Moby Dicks

Yet no local online news site has chosen to feature that particular news item rather than treat a threatened legal action as more worthy news

It also states

Douglas's new police commander has promised swift action to stem a worrying increase in the capital at weekends

Really?

Didn't seem like it last night.

The usual foul mouthed screaming and breaking bottles.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I’ve read here many of you lot just don’t “get it”.

If a person in a position of trust, and one in which impartiality and absolute honesty is essential, any comments made that even might suggest that there was something not right MUST be not only formally withdrawn and in many cases, and this is one, pursued in law in order that the excuse “he was bullied into withdrawing what he said” MUST never be able to be said or even hinted at.

If a person in a position of trust, and one in which impartiality and absolute honesty is essential, any comments made that even might suggest that there was something not right MUST be not only formally withdrawn and in many cases, and this is one, pursued in law in order that the excuse “he was bullied into withdrawing what he said” MUST never be able to be said or even hinted at.

Are you referring to instances solely where Manxforums would be involved or speaking in general about making comments about those in positions of trust?

Are you referring to instances solely where Manxforums would be involved or speaking in general about making comments about those in positions of trust?

Both.

May I ask why? Is it that you believe it will drag down the institutions or organisations associate with a person undertaking such a role, e.g. police, legislature, etc?

In a hypothetical situation, if someone in a position of trust (maybe a Judge) did do something wrong and it was witnessed by me then I have no good reason to keep quiet about it, unless I couldn't prove it. Whereas, it my claim was completely bogus then of course it shouldn't be made.

Shopwatch sms message saying an anti-police protest march through street 2pm onwards sat 2 Oct, will be marshalled by police

:o

Ah, that must be what I saw whilst waiting for a cashpoint to become available this afternoon. The police seemed to outnumber the marchers, even though there were only about 10 that I saw. I spotted some placards pleading for the cessation of lies, but in spite of my enquiries to several members of the general public, I was unable to ascertain either what was wanted, or when whatever was wanted was wanted.

May I ask why? Is it that you believe it will drag down the institutions or organisations associate with a person undertaking such a role, e.g. police, legislature, etc?

In part, yes. But to make an unsubstantiated claim against a person or, especially over here even a “nod and a wink” sort of thing without absolute proof is wrong. Especially when the very hint of something not as it should be would be enough to jeopardise an individual’s career and good name.

Even when there is absolute proof of wrongdoing the way to deal with that is not to use a discussion form, especially so when one is just a forum member.

In a hypothetical situation, if someone in a position of trust (maybe a Judge) did do something wrong and it was witnessed by me then I have no good reason to keep quiet about it, unless I couldn't prove it. Whereas, it my claim was completely bogus then of course it shouldn't be made

But there are ways and means that are well established in order to expose any wrongdoing. They work.

If you find that in YOUR opinion you did NOT see justice being done then stick your OWN neck out, not drag other people into the ring with you.

Even when there is absolute proof of wrongdoing the way to deal with that is not to use a discussion form, especially so when one is just a forum member.

Yes, but what if one is a really really important forum member ?

But I don't quite agree with you. If someone is absolutely sure of the wrongdoing of someone in a position of trust then for THEM it matters not when it comes to consideration of accompanying it with evidence when it comes to informing others. It is still only a matter of concern for the person to whom the claim has been made.

IF there is proof of wrongdoing by a person who is undertaking a public role or a position of trust then should have LESS not more consideration when it comes to the proliferation of such information. By doing wrong in a public role they have already subverted the very system they are part of and it would be proper to expose them by whatever means.

I do, however, agree with you in respect of making claims based on rumour or hearsay or where you are not 100% sure of the truth. But then this principle applies to everyone you speak about, or ought to apply.

I'd say that the protest got the publicity it was after and would the next step involve discussion in the Keys? Protest link

I'm sure more will come out in the press etc, but from what I gather from the video clip, Mr Kennedy has a grievance over a case against him by the Police that was dropped due to lack of evidence and he therefore ended up being financially out of pocket.

I would be interested to know as to how many complaints of police corruption, harassment and victimisation there actually are. If there's sufficient complaints, then where does it go from there? Is the current system up to scrutiny that has apparently failed Mr Kennedy for one and do the taxpayers pay out for a new position of Ombudsman or would consideration be given for contracting a Uk one?

I only mention this as I have a 'friend' who was found guilty in a court of law and received a short imprisonment, but my friend stated that the case was biased from the evidence given and improper procedures (now known) were allegedly conducted before questioning. This happened many years back and although my 'friend' does not want to pursue this, because they feel that nothing good would come out of it and can't take that time back from being held in custody, my friend still feels aggrieved by what took place. (Maybe one day?)

If it was me then I don't know, as I can be so pig-headed at times, that I'd probably take a different course of action and wouldn't let it lie, regardless as to how long it would take and looking at the protest point of view, I can certainly sympathise with Mr Kennedy's position and hope he resolves things one way or another.

Edited to add, that I am not involved in the current protest case.

Edited by manxy