Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
- Paul -

Vote

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=47777

Don't lose your democratic right!

Published online at 03/10/2010 04:59:31

Anybody who wants to vote in next year's general election need to make sure their details on the electoral register are up to date.

That's the message from the Electoral Registration Unit just under a year before polling day, which is expected to be the third Thursday in September 2011.

Although the register is updated every three months, the unit wants to avoid a deluge of late inquiries in the run-up to polling day.

Spokesman Peter Hannay says youngsters who will be 16 by next September, and people who move house over the next year, should change their details as soon as possible.

He says the build-up to the the big day has already begun

Registration forms can be obtained by emailing economics@gov.im or from the Electoral Registration Unit, at Illiam Dhone House in Circular Road, Douglas.

Given current events, I'd hope for a very high turnout and the removal of quite a few.

That's wishful thinking. A high turnout on the Isle of Man? Not likely.

Is it compulsory to register on the Isle of Man as it is in the UK?

Today's 15 year olds will be eligible to vote at the next election. (Today's 10 year olds at the one after that).

The Isle of Man bagged itself some publicity by introducing the vote for 16 year olds. I never, ever, heard one under 18 whinging about not being able to vote. And yet Government changed the law to give it to them. A cheap gimmick indeed.

Maybe the Government should change the law to make voting compulsory. That would make some publicity alright. And be a lot more useful than getting the occasional boy scout leader (or whatever it takes) into Tynwald.

The Isle of Man bagged itself some publicity by introducing the vote for 16 year olds. I never, ever, heard one under 18 whinging about not being able to vote. And yet Government changed the law to give it to them. A cheap gimmick indeed.

If they're old enough to work and pay tax, they should be able to vote on who spends that tax money.

Is it compulsory to register on the Isle of Man as it is in the UK?

It doesn't seem to be

Today's 15 year olds will be eligible to vote at the next election. (Today's 10 year olds at the one after that).

Maybe the Government should change the law to make voting compulsory. That would make some publicity alright. And be a lot more useful than getting the occasional boy scout leader (or whatever it takes) into Tynwald.

What has the government done to explain to young people how politics works on the island? (And I don't mean Junior Tynwald)

I haven't seen any jazzy leaflets or heard of any events taking place.

Tongue in cheek reply, but you can see it coming ..........

Penalties will be charged for none voting as like the Tax return form and I suppose it's one way of raising revenue for peoples laziness?

(Exceptions/exclusions probably need to be considered - medical etc)

Laziness? They don't vote because they are disinterested or don't see the value, not because they are just demotivated.

Do you mean young people are disinterested (impartial) or uninterested ( not interested)?

Any attempt to make voting compulsory as well as having the exceptions/exclusions identified above by manxy must also have the 'none of the above' clearly visible on the form.

This for the compelled who are confronted with a selection of the usual faces - none of whom they would wish to vote for - and should not be compelled to vote for as a result of not having a 'none' option.

Registration is compulsory, no one ever been summonsed, as far as I can recall

Remember we do have rolling registration now so you can register at any time during the year. Following the low numbers registered after the start from scratch in 2006 with a new register with no old carry forwarddss and my repoprt to Government, after, and 4 years of getting it right, I think the current register will be up to date and what is more accurate as possible.

There will still be a stubborn 15% who will not register In Norhern Ireland the electoral registartion process aims for 95% registered and 5% not. Of course a bigger better register will result in even lower percentage turn oyt fu igures unless politicians can get the electorate to actually vote

If you can stop full time education at 16, drive at 16, marry and have sex at 16, enrol to die for your country at 16, work at 16 and pay taxes and N.I. why not votes at 16? What is at 18 any more? Drinking apart?

Re 16 year old votes:

Fair points and I have to agree.

But why did the Isle of Man decide to go out on its own to give 16 year olds the vote?

The answer is because we were able to get in there first and use it as a cheap gimmick. If the Isle of Man could boast a good degree of political awareness and involvement amongst its adult population let alone today's juveniles, then my stance would be very different.

We are as apathetic as the rest of the UK and most of Europe.

A cheap gimmick that has shown the rest of the world exactly what it is. A cheap gimmick.

There, I said it. I said cheap gimmick 4 times in one post.

We are not alone. It is official labour party policy, SNP policy and the following countries are with us

Nicaragua: November 1984

Brazil: 5 October 1988

Estonia: 24 February 1990

Isle of Man: 11 July 2006;

Austria: 1 July 2007

Guernsey: 19 December 2007

Jersey: 1 April 2008

Ecuador: 28 September 2008