Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
jimbms

Was Gamu Axed From The X-Factor By Politics

It seems that Gamu not being selected to go through on the X-factor by Cheryl Cole although she had a good voice may not have been as simple as first thought. BBC Clip

"A spokesman for the Home Office said the decision to axe Gamu from X Factor was the 'business' of the television show." It then goes on to say the following which to me suggests the impending deportation was made aware to the show before the selection "He could not say whether the omission by judge Cheryl Cole had been decided after talks between immigration officials and the programme's bosses."

It raises the question on would her selection have been grounds for a stay of deportation and did political influence force Cheryl Cole to drop Gamu. If so is it right for government bodies to interfere in what happens to contestants on TV shows or was the show right to drop her to show that it does not support illegal immigration?

Edited by jimbms

Or that fact that was a shit singer who was subject to the "auto-tune" hype when first aired....which seems to have been conveniently forgotten.

DS Forums are rife with accusations of racism and Cherly Tweedy/Cole/Iam death threats......hey ho, just your good old fashioned family Saturday night television!!

You're missing the point WSAG, it is not about the person the question is about was political influence brought to bear and was it right if it was, sod the singer I have not heard her, only seen the story on BBC news

More to the point, does anyone really care? The X Factor is only worth watching for the talentless hopefuls who go on the open auditions in the first few weeks.

I'd say they were right in binning her anyway since her current immigration status would have meant she would not be entitled to work in the UK. The Kebab shop can't get away with employing illegals so why should Simon Cowell? I doubt it was political, more that the producers were alerted to the fact that they would be breaking the law to feature an illegal immigrant as participation in such a programme would likely be considered employment, and definately would be if she won. Now whether that's morally right or wrong is another matter, but it is the law.

You're missing the point WSAG, it is not about the person the question is about was political influence brought to bear and was it right if it was, sod the singer I have not heard her, only seen the story on BBC news

But surely the 2 are inextricably linked....i bet this happens 100s of times a day with take away shops, hoteliers, cockle pickers...its only newsworthy because of the attention of the programme.

Fame begats fame it would seem....

If she and her family are in the UK illegally, its up to the Home Office to decide what to do. Whether the immigration status influenced the decision to include her in the X-Factor line-up is immaterial.

Unless you are saying the reason she now faces deportation is because she failed to make it to the live finals?

For me I think she should have been stopped the minute her status was know rather than allow it to continue, she and her family are in the uk illegally they have been asked to leave without leave to appeal for good reason, therefore they go. On another point though I do not think government bodies should have any influence of TV, rather than all this they should just have arrested and deported as soon as her status was known.

He comes P.K. again being thick. do try to keep up, nobody asked if you had seen as most of us havn't, it the question was about the deportation influencing a TV show

It then goes on to say the following which to me suggests the impending deportation was made aware to the show before the selection "He could not say whether the omission by judge Cheryl Cole had been decided after talks between immigration officials and the programme's bosses."

"He could not say" suggests to me that he didn't know. Otherwise it would read "He would not say".

For someone claiming not to be a moron, they've missed an awful lot of punctuation out of the text on that T-shirt.

That's to assist the readership - such as yourself. I'm a great believer in KISS myself.

However if you feel that strongly about it maybe you should complain to the production team?

Just for you some demographics:

"A survey reveals that 65 per cent of those (interested in our T-shirts) earn more than £30,000 a year and 22 per cent bring in more than £70,000. Seventy-three per cent are university graduates and 22 per cent have higher degrees. Most are regular readers of the Guardian, Independent or Times."

For someone claiming not to be a moron, they've missed an awful lot of punctuation out of the text on that T-shirt.

That's to assist the readership

Punctuation is to help the reader. Leaving it out is down to ignorance or laziness.

Just for you some demographics:

"A survey reveals that 65 per cent of those (interested in our T-shirts) earn more than £30,000 a year and 22 per cent bring in more than £70,000. Seventy-three per cent are university graduates and 22 per cent have higher degrees. Most are regular readers of the Guardian, Independent or Times."

I'm not sure what you think this proves - that clever people buy them, therefore the lack of punctuation doesn't matter?

In any case, all that you are quoting is percentages, they are borderline meaningless without some real figures. Claiming 65 per cent of your customers earn £30K-plus sounds great, until we find out you only have 10 customers.

If you don't understand any of this, ask one of your carers to explain.

I'm not sure what you think this proves - that clever people buy them, therefore the lack of punctuation doesn't matter?

In any case, all that you are quoting is percentages, they are borderline meaningless without some real figures. Claiming 65 per cent of your customers earn £30K-plus sounds great, until we find out you only have 10 customers.

If you don't understand any of this, ask one of your carers to explain.

Ooops! I am a carer. Getting a tad confused are we censorship? It could be an early sign of something not good at all. As a carer I know about this you see. The best advice I can give you is don't leave it too late to get your name on that Organ Donor Register.

By the way, how can you get 65% of only 10 customers? Somehow I suspect you've not thought this through...