Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Blade Runner

Has The Island Become A Dangerous Place To Live

The IOM is probably no more dangerous than a comparable sized town in the UK. The trouble with here is that when you open a paper the only news is a)someone kicking off in colours, b)someone kicking off with the wife, c)someone not driving in an appropriate manner, or d)someone collecting a charity cheque. Hence I do not buy the local papers anymore.

Historically it is probably worse if you look back over the years, but like the UK this is a general deterioration of moral standards, poor parenting (in some cases) and a legal system which fails to provide 'adequate punishment for the crime'

the latter was chuckling about the merriment of having to share a single potato amongst seven for Christmas with good natured acceptance of life's hardships?

:lol: :lol:

I really hope it was a Manx potato.

a member of the emergency services was ejected from a douglas nightclub this weekend for launching a unprovoked attack.

a member of the emergency services was ejected from a douglas nightclub this weekend for launching a unprovoked attack.

I would say either give details or don't make vague unfounded remarks.

I would say either give details or don't make vague unfounded remarks.

Lol...tameelf making vague unfounded remarks....surely not :ph34r:

i am sure it would be wrong to name the thug before any charges are made a statement being made at police station atm

Personally, I don't think that the Isle of Man is dangerous at all. It's still safer that the mainland UK (in that if one compares the rate of serious crime, ie. Murder, burglary, GBH) and it pales in comparison to the USA and other distant countries. Coming from Malaysia, I find it borderline offensive that just because one cannot be careful enough with one's money on the promenade, or because a drunkard was ejected from a nightclub, that this place is no longer considered safe. Many people here are obviously too sheltered to see that in the wider world things like that happen, not only every day but every hour. We cannot compare standards to 50 years ago. It was a different time, a different culture; pointless and generalised comparisons mean nothing. We have to look at the world around us, presently, in this context in order to draw a meaningful comparison from which to make any sort of judgement, and the fact that thievery and drunken nightclub ejections are enough to warrant this level of attention proves in my mind that the Isle of Man is still a very safe place indeed.

Sincerely, Anni

xxx

The IOM is probably no more dangerous than a comparable sized town in the UK. The trouble with here is that when you open a paper the only news is a)someone kicking off in colours, b)someone kicking off with the wife, c)someone not driving in an appropriate manner, or d)someone collecting a charity cheque. Hence I do not buy the local papers anymore.

Historically it is probably worse if you look back over the years, but like the UK this is a general deterioration of moral standards, poor parenting (in some cases) and a legal system which fails to provide 'adequate punishment for the crime'.the island is the safest place in britain no doubt,people dont even report the crimes in the papers here.a small town is far worse than anywere on this island.their was a pub on the island the heron that appeared on britains roughest pub,well were i am from we didnt have any that nice.

Edited by lazybones

i am sure it would be wrong to name the thug before any charges are made a statement being made at police station atm

At least say a member of which emergency sevice, there are several. Also nothing in the news so far.

the fireman is out on bail and suspended from work so much for unfounded remarks.

Thats father christmas thats suspended down at the fire station ,it was learned he had a contract with amazon and the local shop keepers caught him when he tried to buy food for rudolf at macdonalds!!!!!!! :D

the fireman is out on bail and suspended from work so much for unfounded remarks.

Two questions

What's your source?

What's your motive for bringing it up?