The Truth And Halloween

spook

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my religon is the same as all other ones.. based not on hard evidence or proof but on belief and tradition.

Wicca is no more of a tradition than, say, Scientology. Wicca is less than 100 years old, mostly about 50 years old. It is utterly invented. It comes out of the same 19th century thinking which was a reaction to industrialisation and which gave the British Isles the celtic revival and rubbish epic novels about wizards and fairies.

ETA: and stupid curly pretend gaelic fonts :)

As a Christian in the full meaning of the word to do anything but make known and utterly condemn these dreadful practices is impossible.

Perhaps I should add here, that as a Christian in the full meaning of the word (which simply means 'one who believes in Christ'..) I love Hop-tu-naa! Used to regularly go out singing to neighbours etc as a child, and I'll happily have my children do the same.

As a Christian in the full meaning of the word to do anything but make known and utterly condemn these dreadful practices is impossible.

Perhaps I should add here, that as a Christian in the full meaning of the word (which simply means 'one who believes in Christ'..) I love Hop-tu-naa! Used to regularly go out singing to neighbours etc as a child, and I'll happily have my children do the same.

Ya secret pagan ya!

OMG (and no spook not yours am talking about the ones who got partially evicted) we'll have the CIA (christian islamic alliance???) sponsoring al quayleda next and the formation of the teare'iban

spook if you aint happy theres always a boat home to jerusalem int morning

the way you bandy the word "truth" is very subjective int it?subjective and not definitive cos even tho you were asked to provide proof and evidence youve been very quiet!

please you aint better than the rest of us...sorry i meant that as in "holier than thou", you just happen to believe in summat different!why cant we all be friends???

or do you maintain the arch conservative belief that all who dont follow the one true faith (lets face it all major religions have this insurance clause to keep people on pew or prayer mat) are unbelievers to be converted or put to sword

hey live and let live really is a nice ideal!!!

So what about guy fawkes/bonfire night?

Bonfire night is for most people a chance to gather together around a big fire and see some fire works, But bonfire night comemorate the foiling of the gunpowder plot, in which Guy fawkes and fellow conspirators attempted to perform a coup of sorts, intending to kill JamesI while at parliment and supplant him with a catholic monarch.

The thanksgiving act was then put in place, presimably to foster further resentment against the catholic church by the reformers, and it was then illegal not to celebrate bonfire night until the act was repealed in 1859.

Should those of us not interested in taking sides in a religous debate boycott bonfire night entirely?

Or shold we just not lert the mostly forgotten reasons behind it all stop us from having a bit of fun.

And Lol at DJdan being the moderate christian in a discussion!

I never thought anyone would be more pious than him.

Are people who believe in Buddha superstitious?

Ah but in reality Buddhism is one of the few religions/philosophys that does not really have a god, it is more the following of the teachings of an ancient philosopher and the belief that all the universe is connected and every event has a cause and effect on its fabric.

As Christopher Hitchens said (and I am paraphrasing here), no philosophy or way of thinking is to be trusted where the head guy was born of due to intercourse.

And he was also considered to be a perfect being and something transcendant. All seems a bit God-like to me.

The Buddha agreed with Hitchens' view - he exhorted people not to simply accept a teaching because he (or someone else)had given it or because some book said it. His view was that one should believe nothing as absolutely true until you had tested it for yourself.

I don't give a monkey's what anyone believes in just so long as they are happy in what they do and that they don't spoil anyone else's happiness while they're doing it.

Curious as to whether you are fine with people who have racist beliefs. Would you like to ruin things for them?

Ok, maybe you don't, but most people actually do care what others believe for very good reasons.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

Spook, if you're going to start thumping the Bible and talking bollox, at least do the googly thing first and get more guidence.

Samhain

The Celtic year began with Samhain. Celebrated around 31 October, it was a time of deliberate misrule and contrariness, rather like the Roman Saturnalia. It was also a time when the veil between this world and the Otherworld was thought to be so thin that the dead could return to warm themselves at the hearths of the living, and some of the living - especially poets - were able to enter the Otherworld through the doorways of the sidhe, such as that at the Hill of Tara in Ireland.

At Samhain cattle were brought in for the winter, and in Ireland the warrior élite, the Fianna, gave up war until Beltain. It was a sacred time, whose peace was normally broken only by the ritualized battle of board games such as fidchell.

Our modern Hallowe’en stems from Samhain, and one explanation of the traditional pumpkin lanterns is that the Celts once placed the skulls of ancestors outside their doors at this time. The Christians took over the Celtic festival and turned it into All Saints Day. Even the modern English celebration of Guy Fawkes Day has echoes of the ancient fire festival.

As you can see it's called Samhain, not Halloween. There is nothing evil about it at all and as a Christian myself, find nothing different in it that can't be found in the Bible.

As a Christian, whilst i have no problem with my children following our cultural traditions, i would however, steer them well clear off a fanatical bible thumper like you. One of the greatest teachings from Jesus was tolerence, you must have been off sick the day they read that bit.

I suggest you pull another sicky at the next major Celtic festival, E'aster.