I charged my phone up this morning at work and unplugged it at 13:00 to go for lunch. When I got back at 14:10 the battery is on 70%! Is this normal? I have push turned off, Bluetooth and wireless off etc

I realise there is no reception in the rovers, so will the phone just keep trying again and again draining the battery?

The iphone is ace, but the battery life is absolutely atrocious.

I can’t usually go more than a day, and the average day is usually no calls, 5-6 texts and checking email (exchange account) manually around 5 times a day

Is this normal??

32GB 3GS here btw

Doesnt sound right to lose that much. One of my clients has no coverage and I'm normally there for a few hours and I dont notice a huge drop off in battery. My phone jumps onto their hotspot though so wireless and bluetooth is still on when Im there.

Re battery, my 3GS is never far from a wall/car/dock charger but then thats par for the course with most smartphones.

Battery life is a mystery to me. I have a 32Gb iPhone 4 and it's normally chaged / synced overnight. Although I listen to loads of podcasts on a day off it's little used during a working day. Some work days it's at 99% by lunch time, other work days it's down to 70-80% by lunchtime.

It's at 94% at the time of this post.

I've not noticed any pattern to it, although I do now tend to close any programmes running / suspended in the background and use System Activity Monitor app to free up memory which seems to help a bit.

Apple will say it is a unique user feature and is caused by the owner of the phone having the incorrect static charge in his body therefore the problem is not on apples part.

On average I get around 1 day standby and 5 hours usage from my 3GS, 70% web browsing over wifi, 20% gaming & 10% calls/texts.

EDIT: Just ran my battery down to 10% and got 1 day 2 hours stanby and 6 hours 21 minutes usage

NOTE: I have iOS4 multitasking disabled

Edited by Virtual_Boy

The battery has wierd patterns of drainage on mine too. Went into MT last week to see about getting a new screen as i've broken mine, asked about the battery, they said if it was not the fault of me dropping it, apple would put a new battery in it, battery being still under the warranty.

Very happy with the service from apple and MT on this.

I've had my phone now a year and a half, original 3g model.

It can depend on battery type if it's il-ion or NiMH, it can take a conciderable time of usage to stablise the charge cycle, it is best to work a 'Li-ion' or NiMH as is in run down to auto off or as low as you dare, if you get a new phone and always charge it every day the charge cycle performance is reduced due to a sort of 'memory' that will build up in the battery cell, So if its playing up run it flat a few times in a row and then allow it to fully recharge before you disconnect it,hope that make sense?

similar to what happens to a battery in a laptop that is always connected to a charger it may have a 2 hour battery life when you buy it but give it 6 months connected to a charger most of the day you will be lucky to get 30 mins out of it once disconnected from the charger..

• 3 weeks later...

Odd how it varies so much

So last week I was down to 40% or 50% some days when I get home. Yesterday it was at 97% at the end of the evening and I only plugged it in to update the OS. I really don't get these wild variations when my usage patterns don't vary that much.