Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lao

Local Fighter Wins Match In Thailand (Video)

Leaving aside issues of what does and does not consititute sport, or violence for that matter, I'll start by saying that this fight really, really impressed me. It can be difficult for a layperson to see the sheer level of technique that's present in this kind of fight, and so dismiss it as low-skill brutality, but the fact is that countless hours of technical training (let alone fitness) go into making fighters as good as these guys.

I wouldn't want to be either of them, but having said that I wouldn't want to be a marathon runner either. All that running...*shudders*. The fact is that MMA and Thai Boxing ARE legitamate sports, and in fact DO have surprising stats on injury rates (as Lao points out) and I think its poor form to take this thread as an opportunity to air your dislike of it; its as daft as me going into a thread on a local doing well in a football match and stating my distaste for grown men chasing a ball of wind around (or is that politics..?)

What should have been done by Chinahand and co is, having had these issues raised to the extent where they felt the need to comment on them, is do so in a dedicated thread, and not rain on Ben's parade. Poor show guys! Incidentally, staple techniques of Judo include chokes and strangles, and the history of boxing and the Queensbury rules is more complicated than is being suggested here.

Back to the main (and what should have been the only) point: stellar work from Ben, and I think its absolutely fantastic that he's committed to his dream and thrown his whole life into it to make it happen. Say what you like, but people with that strength of conviction are few and far between and deserve all the support they can get.

Cheers,

David.

and I think its poor form to take this thread as an opportunity to air your dislike of it; its as daft as me going into a thread on a local doing well in a football match and stating my distaste for grown men chasing a ball of wind around (or is that politics..?)

What should have been done by Chinahand and co is, having had these issues raised to the extent where they felt the need to comment on them, is do so in a dedicated thread, and not rain on Ben's parade. Poor show guys!

Utter rubbish. I would agree if this was a forum on martial arts, fighting etc and people who did not liked those activities gate crashed such a forum.

But this is a general forum and if somebody wants to post X or Y did absolutely brilliant lets all fall to our knees to worship them or alternatively A B or C is a complete twot and lets us ridicule them, then in my view if somebody disagrees in either direction then it is completely appropriate to say so. Alteratively do you want two seperate threads one headed X is brilliant the other that X is a dork and you can only post on the thread you agree with

Great fight, thanks for posting.

The amount of hard work Bens put into it shows. I personally think you have had to do something like this to truly appreciate that level of fitness and skill.

thanks for all the feedback guys, positive or otherwise, And hey DavidC, long time no see, glad to see you are still lurking round the forums every once in a while.

Freedom of speech and peer review are extremely important to me, so keep the views coming in guys.

This apparent display of homoerotic sadomasochism is not my idea of sporting entertainment. Two beautifully toned examples of muscular youth knocking hell out of each other while a gaggle of raucous Thai fag hags bellow out "HIT HIM, HIT HIM!". * Bit bizarre really.... ; ))

* Or something like that, one assumes.

Humans are animals and they're naturally competitive. It's society that tries to dictate what is acceptable and not acceptable which is why there are laws, rules and etiquettes. There is farming which means we don't all go out and kill things we want to eat. There are laws to prevent us from trying to harm each other and to live together as social and responsible beings.

I'd have liked to have had the balls to have been a cage fighter but I wouldn't ever have had the discipline or managed to complete and maintain the training and fitness levels. Instead I'm happy to admire people that have given their dedication to the levels of fitness, skills and disciplines needed for any contact or collision sports. It's competitive, it can be dangerous, it's highly skilled, it's regulated, recognised, rewarded and it's a natural desire to achieve. Some people like it, some people don't. I have no problem with two or more consenting adults wanting to see which one of them is better than the other with their skills even if it does involve the risk of personal injury.

Both these lads did well and that is something that can never be taken away from them no matter what some members of society say. Funny that some people are just compelled to express their views even on things which they have no interest in or abhor. It must be that animal instinct!

A big congrates to Ben. Thai Boxing has given Ben focus, drive and has changed his life for the better to no end. Well done bro.

Chinahand my issues with violence come down to consent, i have been kneed in the head, elbowed and choked unconsious in my time, but as i wanted my sexual partner to do so in order to test my ability to defend against said techniques i dont consider my partner to be violent and we have a safety word too :D

At best i see him as mimicing the potential techniques of a violent person for my benefit.

I hope my training partners never have the intent to do me any long term damage, As i certainly have never wished any upon them.