When Did You First Learn About The Concept Of Hell?

Chinahand

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a hell, then I hope there is a special place in it for people who hurt children.

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of children in Hell for you to hurt.

i did have a comeback to that but such a comment as that deserves nothing but contempt and scorn for the sick mind who says it.

> When Did You First Learn About The Concept Of Hell?

Primary school no doubt. Despite it being a church school, most of it washed over me.

I do remember in particular a story about ... a room full of suffering, starving people. ... Each person curiously still has access to food, but was given a spoon with the handle too long to fit the food in their own mouth. This, we were told as innocent primary school children, was 'Hell'.

Next, the Lord gets his big bunch of keys out, whistles tunelessly as he locks the people in the room and skips gaily to another door and opens it. A seemingly identical room (presumably without the filth and smell) is then shown where people had learned to feed each other with the same long-handled spoons. They were happy and nourished - and this, we were told, was 'Heaven'.

From that, I concluded that Hell was a place where they kept people who are clearly not intelligent enough to hold a spoon half way up its handle or dispense with silly, inappropriate cutlery choices altogether.

Loaf, you've brought back a memory for me from my past - I can remember the same parable, though when it was told to me I do not know!

I think my reaction was that this was a parable about life, and cooperation with people, and nothing to do with the afterlife and judgement.

I understood about cooperation and so was not troubled by the room marked Hell - I felt I wouldn't starve and didn't see this as having anything to do with what would happen to me after I died.

I feel the Judgement aspect of Christianity was really downplayed in my religious education - death, judgement, and the separation into the saved and the damned was hardly ever touched upon. Neither was the fate of those two groups - the fate of the saved in Heaven and the damned in Hell.

Many years later I was stuck in a "Toronto Blessing" with Christians giggling uncontrollably, jumping about, singling hallelujahs, blessing each other, talking in tongues and promising to fight spiritual warfare against the devil and the unbeliever and I wondered if Heaven and Hell were the same place. Think of your fate where you are continually pestered by happy Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses - they'd be in Heaven, you'd be in Hell!

If there is a hell, then I hope there is a special place in it for people who hurt children.

i did have a comeback to that but such a comment as that deserves nothing but contempt and scorn for the sick mind who says it.

Jimbms: just ignore the freak.

I first heard of hell aged about 11 when my mother found some stains on my sheets, and warned me i would go hell for doing that in my bed. Icouldn't understand why hell was bad as the ladies in playboy magazine must be there, and they looked very nice ! :D

Edited by DRIVER

Oh I'm not a freak. I just like to observe entertaining ambiguities, such as those to be found in your post. In fact, both your posts! Bit harsh ignoring the freak jimbms though! ; )) Enjoy your special place.......When you've finished with the children you can get to work on jimbms! He'd like that......... ; ))

I was told at Sunday School that God is Good & Devil is Evil. I can't exactly remember what was said, but the gist of it was that if you weren't good, then you would go to hell.

Anyway, I backed away from religion after that and when you see so many problems involving hatred of others beliefs, I feel some type of justification in doing so now.

I do remember of listening to the RE teacher explaining about religion and also about how good Christianity is today, but I also remember doing some research and looking back into history and found that the Christians killed and burned women who they believed to be witches. (9 million witches I think?)

I therefore saw Christianity as immorally wrong due to its violent and bloodthirsty past.

As said before, I keep my distance away from religion now and no matter as to how many times I hear of how good their intentions are, it always seems that some nutter someone spoils it

Oh I'm not a freak. I just like to observe entertaining ambiguities, such as those to be found in your post. In fact, both your posts! Bit harsh ignoring the freak jimbms though! ; )) Enjoy your special place.......When you've finished with the children you can get to work on jimbms! He'd like that......... ; ))

What are you actually referring too MTP?

Are you implying sexual overtones of jimbs & Gilly towards children, or am I reading your direction wrong?