Spam messages. Please stop reporting messages from Orange 15, Ivsa and Pupyh. They’ve been banned. ×

Starbuck's, Wetherspoons, Burger King...

Have been told by the rumour hounds that Starbuck's are going to be in the old Maley's building downstairs and Burger King is in the building that is being built across from KFC.......

That's right - by the Apple store which is being built next door to the new Hamleys around the corner from that Wagamama they are putting in next to the Sainsburys on the prom. And there will be another Starbucks at the Halfords store they are going to be setting up next to that new motorway thing they are building down near the incinerator. And inside that branch of Starbucks there will be another Starbucks for the Starbucks staff. FWIW I have heard that Woolies is going to be knocked down to make way for the new Selfridges which will also feature a branch of Starbucks inside of which will be a bank.

You are the voices in Tony Brown's head - I claim my prize

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course all you snobs would rather vacant shops stay just that, vacant.

I wouldn't wait for gucci and Burberry to come over if i were you.

The more business that open up the better.

I'm not a snob, I just think that its shite trying to mimic some shitty identikit English town when we have our own heritage. But as you're making the joke about Burberry etc ... why don't you go to St Helier where they seem to have attracted the money and the right shops without resorting to the tacky and shite UK franchises we have brought in in the last 20 years. That's because they don't let fuckwitts in and then let them take over, and if a bunch of mongs think Burger King represents progress they are more than happy to kick back against it.

If you ever go to the Channel isles, yes they do have these outlets but they also have one thing Douglas does not, a good atmosphere! They have allowed these companies in but retained the quaintness of the town to a certain degree, wheras Douglas is a missmash of shite shopfronts like you can find in most seaside towns in the UK. Starbucks is no different to Costa or Coffe Republic, its ok if you want a coffee an theres one accross the street; burger King is better than McD's (theres a forum topic to argue over, bring in Harry Hill) somewhere I may go once in a while but not out of choice, Weatherspoons in the UK is pretty shite, full of scallys but cheap. If they create jobs and fill the empty shops why complain?

It seems like no other companies are willing to fill any of the empty buildings that we all cry about because they make the main shopping street look more shite than it is. Some of the local pubs are already bricking it apparently.

The main fact is these outlets may be shite or some ok but they will fill vacant shops and employ people. If one is a weatherspoons or some similar pub the fine if it gives H&B a kick up the arse it needs, some will like the place some wont, it's a free choice and if one pub can take on the dozen or more around it and come out on top then it says something about the quality, management and prices of the other outlets, on the fast food side, ok so the quality of goods may be crap, full of additives, fat and salts but there will always be people who want to eat that and if it makes them obese and they die of early heart failure then it helps the health service and creates more jobs. So when you look at the whole picture whoever takes these vacant shops is in one way or another helping us even those of us who don't use the outlets.

Is there not a danger that letting thesae bottom end businesses, Bugger King, Whetherspoons etc. into Strand St, then it may give the street an even more downtrdden image which will put off the Hennes, H&M, Jaeger and Pradas that would be required to give us a more 'Jerseyesque' look?

Someone said that these low ends are full of 'Scallies', are they not also part of the image problem?

I'm not proposing to ship them all off to the Foxdale Mines but untill we can lift the bottom end of our society up somewhat, we are going to get what they want in terms of businesses?

The flip side is that these establishments bring footfall in to the main street....without footfall you aint going to attract additional retailers.....at the end of the day there's only 80k of us....so bringing in certain types of retailers isnt going to suddenly change the spending power or the demographic.

I'm not a snob, I just think that its shite trying to mimic some shitty identikit English town when we have our own heritage. But as you're making the joke about Burberry etc ... why don't you go to St Helier where they seem to have attracted the money and the right shops without resorting to the tacky and shite UK franchises we have brought in in the last 20 years. That's because they don't let fuckwitts in and then let them take over, and if a bunch of mongs think Burger King represents progress they are more than happy to kick back against it.

What manx "heritage" shops/establishments should be have?

Kippers and cats with Spina Bifida?

Some of the local pubs are already bricking it apparently.

Really? Because of 1 pub.....that said if it keeps all the £1.50 a pint brigade in one place, that can only be a good thing for the clientele of other hostelries.

Really, because of "one" pub. Had an "emergency meeting" with some minister or other on Friday. But what do I know?

If you ever go to the Channel isles, yes they do have these outlets but they also have one thing Douglas does not, a good atmosphere! They have allowed these companies in but retained the quaintness of the town to a certain degree, wheras Douglas is a missmash of shite shopfronts like you can find in most seaside towns in the UK. Starbucks is no different to Costa or Coffe Republic, its ok if you want a coffee an theres one accross the street; burger King is better than McD's (theres a forum topic to argue over, bring in Harry Hill) somewhere I may go once in a while but not out of choice, Weatherspoons in the UK is pretty shite, full of scallys but cheap. If they create jobs and fill the empty shops why complain?

jersey is very close to France. Iom is close to England. Two very different cultures.

Really, because of "one" pub. Had an "emergency meeting" with some minister or other on Friday. But what do I know?

Fuck all by the sounds of it.

Spot on Dave. Hit the nail right on its head ;)

Edited by majkul

If you ever go to the Channel isles, yes they do have these outlets but they also have one thing Douglas does not, a good atmosphere!

Douglas has a good atmosphere? Don't make me laugh! At least places like St Helier strive to maintain the veneer of sophistication whereas Douglas on a Friday night is simply a shitehole full of angry fighty drunks and dickheads. Douglas town is a disgrace, and its largely because years ago we decided that we were going to pander to all the Brits coming over and turn it into a UK-style faceless craphole full of UK franchises and fast food joints.