Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
EORH

Petrol Prices

You should repeat all that in a Manx Gas Thread. Perhaps even start a new one! There's an election coming up you know... Not that I can understand any of it.

• Like 1

you may be 'none the wiser but you are perhaps better informed'flowers.gif

Here we go - someone point out if I've made any glaring errors.

The numbers are to two decimal places. But the full costs are in the cells

Completed based on Manx Gas saying its average annual usage that detemines the tariff you're on

"The standing charge bands are based on the actual annual gas consumption for your property for up to five previous years (depending on the age of your property and the history available). We will be reviewing every customer after a three month period and then annually thereafter"

I think they are idiots to do this. They have brought mass opprobrium down on themselves for what looks like a revenue neutral result if you take into account the winners and losers. Obviously the losers will squeal foul and the winners will say nothing if they even notice. The reputational damage to Manx Gas is there because the move comes across as uncaring even if they make no more money from it.The complacency of monopoly.

Here we go - someone point out if I've made any glaring errors.

The numbers are to two decimal places. But the full costs are in the cells

Completed based on Manx Gas saying its average annual usage that detemines the tariff you're on

"The standing charge bands are based on the actual annual gas consumption for your property for up to five previous years (depending on the age of your property and the history available). We will be reviewing every customer after a three month period and then annually thereafter"

I think they are idiots to do this. They have brought mass opprobrium down on themselves for what looks like a revenue neutral result if you take into account the winners and losers. Obviously the losers will squeal foul and the winners will say nothing if they even notice. The reputational damage to Manx Gas is there because the move comes across as uncaring even if they make no more money from it.The complacency of monopoly.

Aye - the numbers confused me a little when I summed them up and did the differences.

I was expecting a glaring increase in a few of the tariffs while others remained neutral and some a bit cheaper.

Essentially all it means I think is -

During the summer you're bills may now be higher than previous (due to higher standing charges)

But during the winter you're bills will be lower than previous (due to lower gas charges)

Which gives Manx Gas a steady flow of income throughout the year. Rather than most during the Winter Months

Badly managed PR though

Edited by Jam_Sandwich

I was expecting a glaring increase in a few of the tariffs while others remained neutral and some a bit cheaper.

All it's given is bad PR

No, you're ignoring the collapse in world wholesale gas prices, virtually none of which has been passed on to the Manx consumer. What may appear to be revenue neutral now will quickly ramp up to more profit when the wholesale price starts to rise. They and the OFT know exactly what they've done.

• Like 3

All it's given is bad PR

No, you're ignoring the collapse in world wholesale gas prices, virtually none of which has been passed on to the Manx consumer. What may appear to be revenue neutral now will quickly ramp up to more profit when the wholesale price starts to rise. They and the OFT know exactly what they've done.

That's another discussion - but yes. Gas prices should be cheaper at the moment.

All it's given is bad PR

That's another discussion - but yes. Gas prices should be cheaper at the moment.

Or at least should be heading that way very soon. But so long as they show less than 10% ROCE they can do what they like under the OFT agreement. Any accountant worth his salt can satisfy that.

• Like 1

I wasn't talking about the gas price rise, it was the MEA, Electricity prices and standing charges, we all know about the gas, but the MEA,or Manx Utilities as they like to be called, they were putting up the standing charges BEFORE Manx Gas, check your bills.

I wasn't talking about the gas price rise, it was the MEA, Electricity prices and standing charges, we all know about the gas, but the MEA,or Manx Utilities as they like to be called, they were putting up the standing charges BEFORE Manx Gas, check your bills.

Well, as Alf Cannan said today, we've been falling behind our competitors with our charges. And he didn't even smile. w00t.gif

• Like 1

I loved that "falling behind" comment. It really showed how out of touch with reality he is.

• Like 1

It would seem to be our civic duty to bend over a series of barrels and get royally screwed!

Sigh ... they certainly are out of touch - or is it just that on their inflated salaries, fuel prices don't bother them much.

Apart from trying to pay off their big loans, I can see no moral reason to increase standing charges. If that be the case - don't just screw us Mr Manx Utilities - become more efficient ... and cut your costs.

A good start might be to spend less money on top of the range 4x4s - and a rather large number of new vehicles I seem to see everywhere.

Reality check:

I really must get with the real world - it's easier to screw the customers ... forget all that efficiency stuff ...

• Like 3

All it's given is bad PR

And the UK are now up in arms at their energy firms profiteering, at prices certainly below half and sometimes approaching a third of what ours are ! Oh and of course if you research energy deals in the UK their standing charges are nothing like ours either. We are servicing debt that is all !!!

• Like 3

Well, as Alf Cannan said today, we've been falling behind our competitors with our charges. And he didn't even smile. w00t.gif

And the UK are now up in arms at their energy firms profiteering, at prices certainly below half and sometimes approaching a third of what ours are ! Oh and of course if you research energy deals in the UK their standing charges are nothing like ours either.

@ Asitis: May I refer you to the chairman's opinion above on our falling behind with charges? You are off-message, Sir.

Edited by woolley

you may be 'none the wiser but you are perhaps better informed':flowers:

Originally the lawyer F E Smith (later Lord Birkenhead) to a Judge.

And the UK are now up in arms at their energy firms profiteering, at prices certainly below half and sometimes approaching a third of what ours are ! Oh and of course if you research energy deals in the UK their standing charges are nothing like ours either.

@ Asitis: May I refer you to the chairman's opinion above on our falling behind with charges? You are off-message, Sir.

I was referring to gas, which I had researched in some depth having just changed to oil, I see the comments above were Manx Utilities based in which case I apologise if we have fallen behind our competitors ! I may need to convince myself by some digging , as any of our politicos if they told me it was daylight I would have to go outside and check !

• Like 1