Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Theodolite

Giving Presents To Teachers

An apple for the teacher... not a new idea.

What's this... another thread to rant at teachers? Oh..

What's this... another over-sensitive reaction to a thread about teachers? Oh..

An apple for the teacher... not a new idea.

What's this... another thread to rant at teachers? Oh..

What's this... another over-sensitive reaction to a thread about teachers? Oh..

..followed by another pointless post by Mr Sausages.

But he is right, if they are prepared to take bribes then we can comment.

I think it is very sweet that a parent would present a gift in appreciation for being a good teacher. It should be encouraged

Like that in the finance world, any gifts considered high value should be disclosed to HR.

Quoting jim " they are prepared to take bribes"

Bribes? Don't you think you are over egging the pudding somewhat? The biggest gift I've heard of is a box of chocolates not a few thousand quid into a swiss bank account. (See, its so easy to exaggerate innit?) Not sure where you get the idea that they expect 'it' either.

As to Mr Sausages, I don't think any of his posts are entirely serious are they? Well they aren't usually....

Edited by ballaughbiker

Quoting jim " they are prepared to take bribes"

Bribes? Don't you think you are over egging the pudding somewhat? The biggest gift I've heard of is a box of chocolates not a few thousand quid into a swiss bank account. (See, its so easy to exaggerate innit?) Not sure where you get the idea that they expect 'it' either.

As to Mr Sausages, I don't think any of his posts are entirely serious are they? Well they aren't usually....

Really, have a look here and this is just one of many articles around on it, all say about the same.

Gifts for Teachers

To quote one part "The research, conducted by Debenhams, found that the average parent spends £50 on their child’s end of term present for their teacher, with many spending over £100 and even up to £300 where they have more than one child. "

The rest also makes interesting reading, a bit more than a box of chocolates.

To quote one part "The research, conducted by Debenhams, found that the average parent spends £50 on their child's end of term present for their teacher, with many spending over £100 and even up to £300 where they have more than one child.

The important part of that sentence is in bold. Debenhams have a very obvious motive in churning out 'research'* claiming such high figures: it puts pressure on people to spend more money on gifts and conveniently and implicitly mentions Debenhams as a possibility.

Obvious questions to ask are: How big was the sample, was the sample truly random (i.e. not entirely made up of three teachers who work at St Cashpoint's Private Academy for the Russet Faced Offspring of the Moneyed), what were the error bars like on that monkey, over what length of time was the study conducted, etc?

Certainly, a lot of opinion on the TES seems to confirm that if they get anything it's usually chocolates, perfume, or a bottle of plonk, with the odd extravagant gesture thrown in now and again in certain cases.

*it's not research unless it's been properly published and shouldn't be treated as such, otherwise it's just a claim issued as part of some greasy marketing campaign.

Edited by VinnieK

And look at the source of the story jim - Daily Mail. Says it all.

Mrs biker is a teacher and she says she just gets a card and sometimes sweets/chocolates. Do you have any real evidence or are you just going to take the word of some tosser journalist trying to sell papers and using one of the well tried easy targets? C'mon if you personally know of any teacher who has had a 'bribe' exceeding the value of a quid or two let's hear it.

Edited by ballaughbiker

I just picked one site, the first of several different ones, it seems a couple of people are very strong defenders of teachers recieving gifts, what I am saying is that instead of individual gifts there should be a limit per child that is put into a kitty if they wish to and a gift can be given from that, that way if a parent cannot afford to do so because they have a few kids or don't want to, then there is no danger of anyone knowing and the chaild being teased by other pupils because their parents either could not afford to or did not want to give a gift, what the teachers want is not a priority it should be and for me always will be what is best for the child.

I'm not defending anyone, and I've already said I agree with the whole kitty idea (and that I find the idea of shelling out loads on teachers a bit odd)! I'm attacking the study because it's not research and is most likely worthless, exaggerated rubbish designed to empty people's pockets and publicised by a hate filled rag that makes its money selling moral indignation and blistering outrage.

As a glimpse of the kind of cutting edge and in no way a pile of old crap research conducted by Debenhams, the internet boasts:

1. Winter weddings more popular, cheaper (and handy for Department stores suffering the post Christmas/pre-Spring lull in sales);

2. Couples likely to break up over hogging the covers in bed etc (so buy bigger duvets, and various other quilted charms designed to ward off near inevitable heartache)

3. Men know k'all about lingerie - why not buy the missus a gift voucher instead?

4. Blokes are skanky and don't often buy new underwear, (so buy more you filthy rotters!)

5. The average woman's makeup collection is four years out of date, which, in addition to making you look like a ming, in some case leads to cases of catastrophic face explosion (So start shelling out, girls)

In short, this isn't research, it's not news, it's probably not even real. It's cynical pantomime to get everyone spending more money, with the unfortunate side effect of making some people think of teachers as a bunch of scroungers or as being guilty of receiving bribes!

As an aside typing "Debenhams, research, teachers" into google yields only the Daily Mail and a bunch of parents' forums where they're discussing the Daily Mail story.

Edited by VinnieK

You are still avoiding my point that any gift should be a group one to avoid any issue of a teacher being accused of favouring one child due to a gift or one child being picked on because his parents could not afford a gift. To me that is a very fair way to protect both the child and to protect the teacher from any accusations. Sod the mail and any forums etc. I repeat the child must come first.

Huh? I said I agreed with you on that matter in the first line of my previous post (and before that as well).

I think we're getting crossed wires here. Yeah, obviously the kids should come first and so on, that's a given. My point is that there's not really any reason to expect that this isn't the case, not least because what sparked those concerns is probably a PR junk study.

Huh? I said I agreed with you on that matter in the first line of my previous post (and before that as well).

I think we're getting crossed wires here. Yeah, obviously the kids should come first and so on, that's a given. My point is that there's not really any reason to expect that this isn't the case, not least because what sparked those concerns is probably a PR junk study.

Yeh sorry, I flash read, a lot going on here so I missed it.

My mother was a school teacher, she used to get gifts off pretty much every child in her class each year. Nothing fancy, just chocolates or something small. Very nice of the kids, and nothing at all wrong with it.

It was on the BBC news one morning last week, that one teacher received a holiday to Spain and another got a 1000.00 quids worth of gift voucher, and like someone mentioned earlier they reckoned that some parents spend an average of 50 quid on their childs present to their teacher.

My "kids" have left school some years ago now, and their presents to their teachers was a small box of chocs something along the lines of Matchmakers.

I think its a nice gesture to give, within reason after all most teachers are not short of a bob or two!