Why Is Ramsey Always Left Out?

Curious. There's a general theme about moving Govt stuff to "out of town" areas, but one poster is almost hysterical about the prison being moved to Jurby. Are they damned if they do and damned if they don't?

What premises might Government acquire for these suggested moves? How would they fund them? What would become of the existing buildings?

I'm not sure I'd want my taxes spent on moving a government department to Ramsey just for the sake of a few butty purchases at dinnertime.

Edited by piebaps
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the Manx Radio premises are no longer up to scratch. Should the government consider relocating the station in the north of the island?

I'd be as happy as Larry for that to happen - end of the pier would be ideal with parking along it. But the reality is that we also need to be where the majority of guests and major news sources are (courts, Tynwald, IOMG etc).

ETA for Non-Believer: Well, Dept of Environment and Bits Nobody Else Wants is now in St John's, and you're right in saying the distances are tiny - but think of the extra fuel, emissions, and saving the whales. Virtually all the people I deal with on a weekly basis are in Douglas, and it would be a pain to have to hitch up the wagons every time I wanted to talk to a Government Minister for example.

I'm sure you're aware that government ministers/MHKS etc are even more anxious to have their voices heard on the radio than you are to have them there. Many of them will be willing to travel.

Anyway, as radio is not a visual medium the fact that they are being interviewed by telephone is hardly detrimental to the programme.

Curious. There's a general theme about moving Govt stuff to "out of town" areas, but one poster is almost hysterical about the prison being moved to Jurby. Are they damned if they do and damned if they don't?

What premises might Government acquire for these suggested moves? How would they fund them? What would become of the existing buildings?

I'm not sure I'd want my taxes spent on moving a government department to Ramsey just for the sake of a few butty purchases at dinnertime.

Far from hysterical, PB, just annoyed, as many are, that areas outside of Douglas only ever get what is regarded as too distasteful for Douglas to entertain. Jurby and the North were told that the prison would bring economic benefits - it has not and is most unlikely to do so. Were it likely to bring economic benefits (and not been a prison) it would most certainly have been found space in Douglas. If rumour is to be believed, one of the reasons Ramsey received only a bog-basic, two-holes-in-the-ground swimming pool with no water features was so as not to compete with the NSC, despite it having to serve the whole of the north of the Island and easily thus being economically viable. Try and find somewhere in the north of the island to entertain kids on a wet weekend afternoon.

Govt. rents/leases many of its premises in Douglas. Why not build some in the North (or elsewhere) and spread a little of the money and employment around a bit? They could be staffed by local civil servants some of whom undoubtably have to travel into Douglas every day at present. As a previous poster noted, why isn't Allan Bell pushing to have his new department configured in his home constituency?

And, quite frankly, there are a lot of butty shop owners in Ramsey who would be extremely grateful for the sale of "a few butty purchases at dinnertime"....why shouldn't they share some of the Island's wealth? Looks like your Douglas-tinted blinkers are on....

Jurby is a bit weird though, lets be serious. No respectable business is going to relocate there. They could build another landfill though, that could be entertaining.

The Island is just too small to have all these regional financial powerhouses you dream of. Just accept that you have chosen to live out of the capital of a small Island, which unfortunately means that you are destined to sell chip butties to tourists and knackers.

lol.

Jurby is a bit weird though, lets be serious. No respectable business is going to relocate there. They could build another landfill though, that could be entertaining.

The Island is just too small to have all these regional financial powerhouses you dream of. Just accept that you have chosen to live out of the capital of a small Island, which unfortunately means that you are destined to sell chip butties to tourists and knackers.

lol.

A typical response from one of the greedy denizens of Douglas and area! Gimme, gimme, gimme and to hell with everyone else.

As for the Island being too small, it is its' very size which, complemented by modern communications systems, makes it very practical to spread things around.

Here's an idea - let's tip the fly ash from the Incinerator and general waste out Tromode way, or perhaps Union Mills/Glen Vine - plenty of fields there! Or perhaps someone could suggest a nice brownfield site in the middle of Douglas?

No blinkers here Non-Believer, I live in "The Jewel of the North". I was trying to see of there was some substance to your argument or whether you were basing your views on simply emotional grounds.

We have DEFA in St Johns

We have prison in Jurby

Both of these to me are clear evidence that Govt has decentralised some of its operations.

You are suggesting that leased buildings are abandoned in favour of new builds with the only tangible benefit being that some retailers may generate some limited additional sales. I know that when talking about Govt operations, sense seems to go out the window, but even our lot need to see some clearer benefits than you're spelling out.

Specifically, which parts of Government would you like to see? We could then pick through the government accounts and see how many staff that would involve, how much floor space might be needed, how much a suitable building might cost and anything else that we can think of.

Saying that Ramsey always gets left out isn't a sound basis for relocating anything. Besides, I don't want the town crawling with "butties" and "spaniards". :D

Edited by piebaps

Leave Ramsey alone !! Ok there are a few things that could do with a bit of thought but in general i like it. I lived in Douglas/Onchan for most of my life until about 3 years ago when i moved North.

Best thing i ever did !

I like Ramsey and the north but until the infrastructure improves it is unlikely there will be any major businesses relocating there. As posted earlier, the roads get closed easily and if your office is in the north chances are most of the staff will call in sick. I know the argument is that you employ people from Ramsey, but, you are drawing on too small a resource pool to be competitive and people who live in Douglas aint gonna commute to Ramsey.

My 2 pence worth: if you want the cheap houses and rural lifestyle, live in the north but the trade is that you have to commute.

If you think people won't commute to Ramsey I suggest you look a the volume of traffic travelling North on the mountain road in the mornings - I don't think they are all doing nightshifts in Douglas.

I like Ramsey and the north but until the infrastructure improves it is unlikely there will be any major businesses relocating there. As posted earlier, the roads get closed easily and if your office is in the north chances are most of the staff will call in sick. I know the argument is that you employ people from Ramsey, but, you are drawing on too small a resource pool to be competitive and people who live in Douglas aint gonna commute to Ramsey.

My 2 pence worth: if you want the cheap houses and rural lifestyle, live in the north but the trade is that you have to commute.

If you think people won't commute to Ramsey I suggest you look a the volume of traffic travelling North on the mountain road in the mornings - I don't think they are all doing nightshifts in Douglas.

Might find that Ramsey people want jobs in Ramsey!! Strange but true....and save themselves ridiculous amounts of money in petrol and car parking charges to boot! When I worked in Douglas it used to grate cost me the best part of £300 for the priviledge of working in Douglas and that was 6 years ago before petrol was over 90p a litre! :rolleyes: