At Long Last It Looks Like 2011 Is The Year For The All Island Taxi Service!

Stop double parking on Victoria Street.

And tell your radio operators to tell the truth about your likely arrival time.

1) I don't, and never have.

2) The firm I work for do.

Still, don't let facts stop you from making assumptions, eh?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has nobody realised yet what is going to happen !, the larger companies will open an office in ramsey, one in castltown, cars based all over the island fitted with trackers, they will clean up. Oh dear have i let something out of the bag, Taxi ranks are a thing of the past, just handy for free parking

And don't beep your bleedin' horns to announce your arrival to the whole street. Try using the doorbell or the mobile phone, if you are too fat and/or lazy.

And don't beep your bleedin' horns to announce your arrival to the whole street. Try using the doorbell or the mobile phone, if you are too fat and/or lazy.

Also, we don't. We have PDAs with a callback function and access to the phone numbers of the clients if we need to follow up.

So, er, to borrow from your own post: Don't level general accusations if you are too stupid and/or lazy to actually think.

The taxi drivers are the whipping boys of Manx politics and this whole issue says more about our elected representatives and decision makers and their inability to grasp and tackle more serious matters of state. The taxi issue makes an expert of them all and gives them a chance to kick an idea around and appear to think and act like real politicians. Anyone with half a brain knows that the new proposals would only make things worse, and heaven knows they should have got the message by now as it's been rejected by wiser minds numerous times already. Will this be the last flourish of this hopeless government, the final cock-up of a bereft administration ? If you're not up to the job boys then get out of politics at the next election and let people in who can understand the real issues facing this Island and who don't have to resort to knee-jerk populism and posturing. Do you think it will get you a few more votes come the autumn ? Leave the taxis alone and go and read a book on economics or finance or something and perhaps you can make yourself useful in the remaining months before we kick you out.

Hi, please can you tell me what the benefits are of the current system for taxi firms and the public? I'm genuinely looking for the other side of the argument - thanks.

The taxi drivers are the whipping boys of Manx politics and this whole issue says more about our elected representatives and decision makers and their inability to grasp and tackle more serious matters of state. The taxi issue makes an expert of them all and gives them a chance to kick an idea around and appear to think and act like real politicians. Anyone with half a brain knows that the new proposals would only make things worse, and heaven knows they should have got the message by now as it's been rejected by wiser minds numerous times already. Will this be the last flourish of this hopeless government, the final cock-up of a bereft administration ? If you're not up to the job boys then get out of politics at the next election and let people in who can understand the real issues facing this Island and who don't have to resort to knee-jerk populism and posturing. Do you think it will get you a few more votes come the autumn ? Leave the taxis alone and go and read a book on economics or finance or something and perhaps you can make yourself useful in the remaining months before we kick you out.

Hi, please can you tell me what the benefits are of the current system for taxi firms and the public? I'm genuinely looking for the other side of the argument - thanks.

I have a suggestion for all the critics of the taxi service on the Isle of Man,1.go get a job driving one.2.pack in your well paid job with its regular holidays,sick pay,and set hours with weekends off.3.see how long you will last before you are outside Tynwald shouting for justice.

There was a saying years ago by an old taxi driver,"If the taxi job is so good,all the MHKs would be taxi drivers,and all the taxi drivers MHKs".

I just don't see what Government should be trying to regulate apart from making sure the vehicles are roadworthy, the drivers are safe and the fares are charged correctly.

Why should government put any further restrictions on any business as to how they earn their living ?

....oh, hang on a mo, we're Government, we're supposed to control Govern the lesser mortals

I have a suggestion for all the critics of the taxi service on the Isle of Man,1.go get a job driving one.2.pack in your well paid job with its regular holidays,sick pay,and set hours with weekends off.3.see how long you will last before you are outside Tynwald shouting for justice.

There was a saying years ago by an old taxi driver,"If the taxi job is so good,all the MHKs would be taxi drivers,and all the taxi drivers MHKs".

I'd just like to make it clear that I've got no problems with the taxi service or whatever. Just looking for the other side of the argument.

I have a suggestion for all the critics of the taxi service on the Isle of Man,1.go get a job driving one.2.pack in your well paid job with its regular holidays,sick pay,and set hours with weekends off.3.see how long you will last before you are outside Tynwald shouting for justice.There was a saying years ago by an old taxi driver,"If the taxi job is so good,all the MHKs would be taxi drivers,and all the taxi drivers MHKs".

There are plenty of shit jobs being done, but not every group of workers whines on about it endlessly and becomes militant at the very mention of change. Many just get on with their jobs, without enjoying government-endorsed protectionism.

It's odd, I often think, that cabbies are the c**ts of the world, until we're needed to take you home, then we're everybody's best friend.

No, you are confusing providing a paid for service with becoming mates. Taxi drivers are a necessary evil, providing an adequate at best service for a vastly inflated "what alternative do you have" price. When I use a taxi I am as much the 'best friend' of the driver as I am best friends with the checkout girl at Tesco or the man who empties my bin.

If those who criticise us spent as much time on the road as we do, watching the appalling driving, putting up with abuse and threats and wiping up vomit and worse, they may view us in a different manner. But then probably not, because opinions have already been formed, haven't they?

Were you not aware of the requirements and problems of the job before you went into it? Many occupations have downsides: cops get abused, nurses and doctors attacked, builders get cold in the winter, bus drivers get grossly fat and furiously angry. If you don't like it, quit. When you go into a job where you know you will be dealing with people who have been drinking, you have to accept you may encounter anti-social behaviour. If you don't want threats, abuse and vomit don't pick up late at night from outside pubs and clubs.

But then you'd miss out on the richest pickings wouldn't you?

Incidentally, do you declare your cash tips when you complete an income tax form?

As far as I can tell, the Taxi Drivers don't want the Taxi license system opened up to anybody that wants one. At the moment the plate numbers are limited with the result that a Plate is worth a lot, have heard about £20 - 30k but may be wrong.

If anybody was able to get a plate the existing taxi drivers would loose the value of that plate and they do sell and buy them.

That is the bottom line, by chance they have an asset that is now worth a lot or they paid a lot for it and the change in the law would wipe out the value of a plate overnight.

Don't see any benefit to the public with the existing or new system, a taxi ride is going to cost you an arm and a leg but a necessary evil if you want to keep your license after a night out.

There's a difference between

a) those who bought license plates which attach to the vehicles and then pimp them out to the part-time drivers;

b) the drivers

c) the owner - drivers

The problem to me seems to be those who paid for the plates and then tout / rent it out and treat it as a tradeable commodity and are now worried that they've either overpaid for it [it's been in the post a while] and/or are not going to have the plate working full time for them by renting it out.

As someone who works in a profession, I'd be laughed at in Tynwald if I said there were enough of us already.

And taxi drivers - those plates you treat as your own are licensed to you by the Isle of Man Government for and in the name of the people; the people have spoken, the bastards.