Film - Never Heard Of It. What's It Do?

Langweilig

I used a Nikon F55 and a Zeiss Ikon Contessa at a camera club studio night. One of the members laughed at me. "Your images will be over-exposed as you can't see what you've taken." I felt like saying, "If you can switch off the viewscreen and use your brain and try exposure bracketing, that won't be a problem." In fact, he didn't even have an exposure meter for the studio lighting and estimated an exposure. I wonder how he would've reacted if I'd said, "I'm using uprated B&W film which I will push-process."

The laughter came from someone who has never known anything else other than digital photography. It seems that photographers like him are now calling the shots (pun intended). Shoot it, download it, photoshop it and print it. I have two digital cameras but I don't want to lose sight of traditional values.

I've used all types of cameras, ranging from a 110 pocket camera, 35mm compact, a Lubitel medium format camera, a Zenith E, and two Praktica SLR's since 1984. So maybe I'm the one who is more disciplined in camera usage.

I used a Nikon F55 and a Zeiss Ikon Contessa at a camera club studio night. One of the members laughed at me. "Your images will be over-exposed as you can't see what you've taken." I felt like saying, "If you can switch off the viewscreen and use your brain and try exposure bracketing, that won't be a problem." In fact, he didn't even have an exposure meter for the studio lighting and estimated an exposure. I wonder how he would've reacted if I'd said, "I'm using uprated B&W film which I will push-process."

The laughter came from someone who has never known anything else other than digital photography. It seems that photographers like him are now calling the shots (pun intended). Shoot it, download it, photoshop it and print it. I have two digital cameras but I don't want to lose sight of traditional values.

I've used all types of cameras, ranging from a 110 pocket camera, 35mm compact, a Lubitel medium format camera, a Zenith E, and two Praktica SLR's since 1984. So maybe I'm the one who is more disciplined in camera usage.

I think im starting to prefer film, its never going to replace my digital for sports photography etc but for walkaround photography it has my vote, there is just something about the feel of the image I dont get with digital and you have to think about the image a lot more so you dont waste film !

5411399578_40ae9dff81.jpg

Bronica Sq-B - Fuji Neopan 400

Edited by theambo

I used a Nikon F55 and a Zeiss Ikon Contessa at a camera club studio night. One of the members laughed at me. "Your images will be over-exposed as you can't see what you've taken."

Good grief - how on earth did anyone ever use an SLR in that case?! Or perhaps all those wonderful photographers were just lucky each time....

I can understand the fascination with film and the love for it but given the number of things I have to split my time over, and the aspect of additional costs etc, I can't really see myself ever getting into to film cameras. Seems a shame because I do genuinely believe it would teach me to become WAY less trigger happy and to take more time & effort setting an exposure correctly, but in reality I doubt it's that likely.

That said, perhaps in a few years (being a newcomer to the hobby) once my skill has improved and getting exposures right becomes more intuitive (I hope), I might dabble, since an SLR will cost pennies more or less and could be fun to tinker with.

The mentality of some people astounds me though. I know of a few people who have very expensive DSLRs and who might have one or two Pro spec lenses, but ask them what model lens they have or any sort of tech/spec question and they can't even say what kit they have. I'll never really understand that since all the kit I get has painful levels of homework done beforehand and is bought because of the specs being just what I want etc. It'd be wrong of me to critise people like that since it's their business what they buy and why, but I just find it incredible that people can spend so much money and not know what they've bought.

I think im starting to prefer film, its never going to replace my digital for sports photography etc but for walkaround photography it has my vote, there is just something about the feel of the image I dont get with digital and you have to think about the image a lot more so you dont waste film !

5411399578_40ae9dff81.jpg

Bronica Sq-B - Fuji Neopan 400

That's more or less similar to my approach to photography. You've an interesting image there on medium format. With what I've been told in terms of, "The larger the negative, the better the print quality." Medium format seems superior to digital in terms of image resolution.

I'm not a great fan of club studio portrait nights. It always seems to be, same backdrop, same pose, same lighting position from everyone. Add to that, it's sometimes, "Sorry folks, the model hasn't turned up, so it'll have to be one of you people!" BOOORRRIIING! So really, I prefer to shoot candid photos in the street.

reader.jpg

"Yesterday's News" photographed in Bank Street, Castletown, August 2006 using a Nikon F55 & Tamron 55-200mm lens. The film was Kodak Ektachrome Extracolor 100. It was awarded first place at a club exhibition. The judge was an ex Daily Mirror photographer and must've judged it newsworthy.

Edited by Langweilig

35mm colour transparency film sent off to a company in the Channel Islands and scanned as an 18mb hi-res onto a CD.

I meant the subject, rather than the medium.

I honestly don't know who she is. That shot is unposed and is a complete candid shot.