Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sean South

Manx 2 Plane Crash Cork Airport

http://www.isleofman.com/News/local/article.aspx?article=38088&area=communityhome

Interesting that manx2 are back to being an Airline again. When they crash their plane and kill their passengers, they're supposedly just a ticketing agent. But roll forward 5 months and they're back to pretending to be an airline again.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the progress of the victim's legal claims against the "airline"?

http://www.isleofman.com/News/local/article.aspx?article=38088&area=communityhome

Interesting that manx2 are back to being an Airline again.

... There's no mention of them being an airline in the link you posted?

Fair point, it's actually in the headline rather than the story, see below

New general manager for Manx2.com | Business Newsroom | isleofman.com

www.isleofman.com › News › Business

THE airline Manx2.com has appointed David Buck to the position of general manager.. The latest Newsroom from isleofman.com.

so the mews media is making the claim rather than the 'non' airline then?

Another addition to the does the media think they are or are not an airline pile:

Airline spreads the word about the Island

I think if they are seen as doing something positive then they are labelled as an airline, if its negative (as in the Cork situation) then they will revert to being just a ticketing agent. I'm sure there are other businesses out there in different fields who would love that kind of option

Edited by Giggleberrys

Another addition to the does the media think they are or are not an airline pile:

Airline spreads the word about the Island

I think if they are seen as doing something positive then they are labelled as an airline, if its negative (as in the Cork situation) then they will revert to being just a ticketing agent. I'm sure there are other businesses out there in different fields who would love that kind of option

Well to be fair, it's Manx Radio that use the term airline. Manx 2 assiduously avoid using the 'A' word on their website and include the following at the foot of all their pages: "Manx2 flights from the Isle of Man to Blackpool, Belfast, Gloucester, Leeds and Newcastle; also from Cardiff to Anglesey are operated by VanAir Europe AS, FLM Aviation & Links Air".

If you define 'airline' as the holder of an Air Operator's Certificate, they have never actually been an airline. However,in the public eye, they do look like an airline - their planes have a distinctive Manx2 livery, they have Manx2 flight numbers, their website looks just like an airline web site.

My own view after the Cork preliminary report was published and the BBC 'Face the Facts' programme is that they are hiding behind the small print, in order to let the travelling public believe they are travelling with a 'proper' airline. In reality, of course, when you buy a ticket with them, it is quite likely that you will be flying on ancient, ex-soviet bloc equipment, that really is not up to the standard of any other operators in to the Island.

Furthermore, Manx2 leased two Fairchild Metroliners from a Spanish owner (AirLada) which did not itself possess an Air Operator's Certificate, relying on an arrangement with a third party 'operator' who did have the necessary certificate even though the aircraft and crew were supplied by AirLada. The third party operator had it's Air Operator's Certificate suspended for safety breaches operating the Metroliners, but did this sound warning bells with Manx2? If so, then they decided that all that was necessary was to find another third party 'operator' and stay with the leasing arrangement. That is, until the accident in Cork, after which they terminated the agreement. The second third party operator also had it's AOC suspended for safety breaches after the accident.

Edited by guzzi

Its not just Manx Radio, Gloucester Airports director, BBC etc etc recently posted a load of promotional info clearly stating that Manx2 were an airline...I dropped them, and Manx2 a quick, helpful line to suggest they reword as it could have legal implications following the crash. I havent received a reply from any of them as yet and none of the online reports have been modified. I was surprised that not even Noel Hayes replied who one would expect would go to extreme lengths to ensure the 'A' word isnt used...?

Has anyone heard any updates on the investigation?

There was an 'incident' at Blackpool this morning involving M2. A burst tyre following a landing in windy conditions with subsequent evacuation is what I was told. Anyone able to confirm this?.

There was an 'incident' at Blackpool this morning involving M2. A burst tyre following a landing in windy conditions with subsequent evacuation is what I was told. Anyone able to confirm this?.

Yes

http://www.iomtoday...._tyre_1_4008446

This must be a first - IOM papers publishing a story before MF stuart.gif

Someone mentioned same aircraft had a burst tyre at Belfast a year ago? Anyone know?