Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sean South

Manx 2 Plane Crash Cork Airport

there have been some reports that Cork Airport only had CAT2 ILS for landing in poor visibility and not CAT3 for very low visibility ILS landing, can any pilots elaborate on this?

Probably - but the last one to comment got unfairly castigated for making some comments.

So he's allowed to post his opinion, but if others express their opinion that his immediate speculation was in poor taste, that's not allowed?

iirc cork is cat2

wonder what the company sop is for go arounds in low visibility ?

One of the RTE Correspondents said that the options for the Pilot were limited in that the only alternative airport he could have diverted to was Dublin as Shannon, Kerry and Waterford airports were also fog bound.

Edited by Sean South

there have been some reports that Cork Airport only had CAT2 ILS for landing in poor visibility and not CAT3 for very low visibility ILS landing, can any pilots elaborate on this?

Probably - but the last one to comment got unfairly castigated for making some comments.

So he's allowed to post his opinion, but if others express their opinion that his immediate speculation was in poor taste, that's not allowed?

Did I say anything was or wasn't allowed? Reel your neck in ffs

Did I say anything was or wasn't allowed? Reel your neck in ffs

You described people expressing their opinion as 'unfair castigation'.

For someone who was at pains to point out that certain posts were in bad taste, Censorship is doing a great job of dragging the whole thread into the gutter. Well done you.

My DH says that a catastrophic failure and the wreakage pattern makes him think that it could have had an undercarriage failure, which could have happened at anytime. He hs only known it to happen twice in the forces.

Thoughts are with all.

Edited by Snowflake

If you look at the undrcarriage it is all intact so I don't think the crash investigators will be looking at failure, perhaps a tyre burst but I would suggest that the aircraft flipped over after a 'firm' touchdown.

I see that messershmidt's comments have been deleted. While he may have been a bit quick off the mark all the points he alluded to have already been picked up by the media. Shame how professional expertise and opinion is so often dismissed on these pages.

I predict there will be a lot of guano to hit the fan from this. Fortunately, manx2 will be shielded because they will have had no direct input into the aircraft's operation.

Let's hope the surivors make it through.

Fortunately, manx2 will be shielded because they will have had no direct input into the aircraft's operation.

Thats the problem with wet lease

It might be SOP for UK operators or UK AOC holders to restrict go arounds, but for other operators it might not be so stringent.

AAIB, AAIU and Spanish authorities will no doubt get to the bottom of it

Edited by sfsdssfsfsd

Very sad. Like everyne else thoughts go out to the families.

I was driving into Cork this morning at 08:30 and the visibility was poor due to the mist at sea level. Cork Airport, for those who do not know it, is on top of a hill about 3 miles out of the city. It can often have quite poor visibility.

Was talking with a taxi driver who was at the airport at the time. He said there was a loud noise and within seconds the sound of the emergency services sirens. RTE said that the airport fire service had the fire out before it reached the cabin. All commentators seem to be saying that the emergency plan was very effective including the fact all roads were very quickly cleared of traffic for ambulances to reach the airport and take the injured to Cork University Hospital. Latest news on RTE is that CUH have said the injured are 'serious' but not 'critical'.

I understand that as well as the Irish accident investigators ones from UK and Spain are coming to assist. There was a comment on RTE that the company is Spanish owned - but that may mean that the company the aircraft was leased from is Spanish.

People here are in big shock.

a bit more from rte:

1453 Four of the six survivors of this morning's plan crash remain in a serious condition at Cork University Hospital - two are said to be comfortable.

Dr Gerry McCarthy, who heads up the hospital's Trauma One Emergency Department, said that while the four's injuries are serious, they are not life-threatening.

They include fractures and a punctured lung. All four remain under observation in the hospital's resuscitation room.

The five men and one woman are understood to be in their 40s and 50s.

Some relatives have arrived at the hospital and have been directed to a Relatives Room - set up by hospital authorities and staffed by grief counsellors and the hospital's chaplain.

The bodies of the deceased have been brought to the City Morgue on the grounds of Cork University Hospital and arrived while the press briefing was on.

Ambulance Control put the hospital on alert at 10am this morning and it was officially confirmed as an emergency at 10.35am. The hospital's emergency plan kicked into place and all off-duty staff were called to work.

A triage station was set up and the hospital prepared for the arrival of up to 15 injured. They had been told that a plane had flipped over on landing and had gone on fire.

A medical team headed up by Dr Stephen Cusack was dispatched to the airport preparing to deal with multiple injuries, including burns, but it has been confirmed that no-one suffered burns.

The injuries included fractures and a punctured lung as well as multiple tissue injuries.

Six survivors were identified and dispatched to the hospital in a fleet of ambulances arriving just before 11am.

Rez, its immaterial really, even if the airport were cat 3 the aircraft would not have been cat 3 certified and crew would not have been cat 3 rated I shouldn't think.

A sad day for all, my thoughts are with all concerned...........

Very sad. Like everyne else thoughts go out to the families.

I was driving into Cork this morning at 08:30 and the visibility was poor due to the mist at sea level. Cork Airport, for those who do not know it, is on top of a hill about 3 miles out of the city. It can often have quite poor visibility.

Was talking with a taxi driver who was at the airport at the time. He said there was a loud noise and within seconds the sound of the emergency services sirens. RTE said that the airport fire service had the fire out before it reached the cabin. All commentators seem to be saying that the emergency plan was very effective including the fact all roads were very quickly cleared of traffic for ambulances to reach the airport and take the injured to Cork University Hospital. Latest news on RTE is that CUH have said the injured are 'serious' but not 'critical'.

I understand that as well as the Irish accident investigators ones from UK and Spain are coming to assist. There was a comment on RTE that the company is Spanish owned - but that may mean that the company the aircraft was leased from is Spanish.

People here are in big shock.

Echo the thoughts that have been expressed so far about this terrible accident.

Quite correct about the ownership of the aircraft, it was Spanish registered and owned and operated by a Spanish company. Manx2 is a virtual airline in that it sells tickets but owns and operates no aircraft. A variety of wet-lease companies operate their flights. As well as the Irish and Spanish air accident investigators, it is usual for the investigation unit of the state of manufacture to assist, in this case the USA (NTSB) The Isle of Man comes under the jurisdiction of the UK investigating authority, the AAIB, As the tickets were probably legally sold to the passengers in the IoM, where Manx2 is based, that might explain the participation of the UK authorities. Or possibly, the NTSB has declined to exercise it's jurisdiction and asked the AAIB to do so on it's behalf.

Edited by guzzi

As a car driver who relies on visibility it always amazes me how pilots fly through fog amd cloud with it seems virtually total reliance on and faith in their instuments. It would take a lot to retrain my brain to accept.

On the same basis I have also no idea how much visibility pilots like when flying, landing, or taking off but I was driving home from IoM airport last night and 30mph was fast enough for me. If because of circumstances pilots have to try and land on occasions in such weather they have nothing but my ultimate respect