Post Office Whingers

'Moaning Mavis'

Spook & Cambon - I wasn't commenting on the rights & wrongs of their claim. It's pretty hard to judge these things from the outside. I only meant that the "I've not had a pay rise since 1965, so why should they" argument is pretty spurious.

I don't know. At the end of the day the public sector is funded by the taxes paid by the private sector. Why should someone who has not had a payrise for 5 years be expected to pay more in tax or for services to give a payrise to someone whose job relies on them still paying their tax money into the pot despite the fact that they are much worse off? Face facts, much of the public sector would not exist were it not for the taxes paid by those employed in the private sector, and if many of them have not had a payrise it is unreasonable to expect that the public sector can expect to be treated differently.

I have to say that detachment from reality seems to be the main problem with government and it is arrogant in the extreme for any group of public sector workers to expect that they should be insulated from the impact of cuts and losses that other people, who are paying tax to keep them in jobs, are experiencing. This is at the moment a very one-sided recession as no impact at all is being felt in the public sector whilst everyone else is generally much worse off and worried about their job security.

Well, I think the post office workers should stop moaning about their pay rise whether it was promised or not - I havent had a pay rise for five years, my tax and NI has gone up as well as my phone charges, inflation, gas electric and oil now VAT and food bills - I earn less now than I did 5 years ago - just stop moaning and live with it everyone else has to - and stop getting the unions involved - I bet their salaries are enormous and you posties are paying for it as well !!!!11

hell if u diden get a payrise in 5 years, when 3 of them years were in the boom times, you must be shit at your job, or in a postion that does not warrent a pay rise :cool:

Can't see the posties getting much public support if they do strike. Rightly or wrongly, to most working people they would appear to be getting a good deal already with their pension. Are taxpayers going to support the posties' demand for a pay rise when the it's the same taxpayers who will have to fund it?

The post office has bigger problems as it is on a downward spiral. With the advent of emails, electronic payments and alternative delivery companies, the end is in sight for the antiquated Royal Mail system.

I disagree. More and more people are shopping online. Someone has to deliver all that stuff. The Post Office and delivery services in general have a bright future.

It's worth saying - IOM is a great place to post stuff from. Post out of here is really fast as anyone who cares about their eBay feedback will know. If I was mailing Boden* catalogues I would be sending them from here.

I'm a big fan of the Post Office in general. One of my favorite movies is

* they must spend a fortune mailing those catalogues. We seem to get one every other day.

Just because person X hasn't had a pay rise doesn't mean person Y shouldn't. If we extend that logic nobody would ever get one.

Where is the money going to come from for pay rises in either the public OR the private sector now that our export earnings are going down the toilet?

We depend on export earnings to pay for our imports and we are dependent on imports to live. We are facing austerity measures that will make the austerity the UK is facing look like a cakewalk. Pay rises? Pay cuts more like, maybe by allowing pay to wither on the vine as a result of inflation, but in my opinion there will need to be real cuts in wages across the board.

Get used to it, the good times are over.

The good times were not over for one member of the CS who has just retired,two years ago the salary was £113K,had a 2% pay rise,which Tony said wasn't a lot,2010 the salary was £134K,now I am not mathamatical genius,but 2% on £113K does not come to £134K,so somebody made a mistake somewhere,or did the pay spine spiral up a bit quick,as that advert says,"Just what is going on here".

The post office has bigger problems as it is on a downward spiral. With the advent of emails, electronic payments and alternative delivery companies, the end is in sight for the antiquated Royal Mail system.

I disagree. More and more people are shopping online. Someone has to deliver all that stuff. The Post Office and delivery services in general have a bright future.

It's worth saying - IOM is a great place to post stuff from. Post out of here is really fast as anyone who cares about their eBay feedback will know. If I was mailing Boden* catalogues I would be sending them from here.

I'm a big fan of the Post Office in general. One of my favorite movies is

* they must spend a fortune mailing those catalogues. We seem to get one every other day.

Expensive to post from here. You can post from Kent to Douglas cheaper than you can post from Douglas to Douglas. Shocking. And this from a position where at one time companies used to send stuff here from UK to be posted to save money. Not any more.

Expensive to post from here. You can post from Kent to Douglas cheaper than you can post from Douglas to Douglas. Shocking. And this from a position where at one time companies used to send stuff here from UK to be posted to save money. Not any more.

oh that is interesting.

IoM rates 0-100g 1st class on island 35p to UK & Channel Islands 36p

UK rates UK mainland including Channel Islands and Isle of Man 0-100g 1st class 41p

So Kent to Douglas at 41p is cheaper than Douglas to Douglas at 35p shocking isn't it and I can't see any companies using the IoM at 5p per letter less to save money on 20,000 mail shots can you?

oh that is interesting.

UK rates UK mainland including Channel Islands and Isle of Man 0-100g 1st class 41p

So Kent to Douglas at 41p is cheaper than Douglas to Douglas at 35p shocking isn't it and I can't see any companies using the IoM at 5p per letter less to save money on 20,000 mail shots can you?

No. They'll use SECOND CLASS you plonker.

oh that is interesting.

No. They'll use SECOND CLASS you plonker.

Your right Woolley.

I receive a lot of regular post from Nottingham, posted 2nd class at 32p and it usualy arrives the next day.

Costs 36p to send the same paperwork back from here.

So they are seriously over-manned - thought so...

Like all the "they're on the gravy train" BS you get on here it actually needs a professional look at.

Yeah, I know, dream on...

So they are seriously over-manned - thought so...

Like all the "they're on the gravy train" BS you get on here it actually needs a professional look at.

Yeah, I know, dream on...

I may be wrong but I am guessing that it is because our mail gets flown directly into regional hubs, is what makes it so quick.