The Police

Ben Varrey

As to why the likes of me look in from time to time; this is a public forum, and carries some pretty important viewpoints. People who speak their mind tend to post, and it is worth reading a lot of the stuff to use as a public opinion barometer. Some people accuse the police of being out of touch with the community. Reading forums like these helps counter that.

I'm sure the politicos use this forum and others as a good sounding board as well. It would be stupid not to.

However it should be noted that in the UK we have policing by consent. Basically they not only work for you but they are also answerable to you as well. For example every letter to the Chief Constable is always answered. If not by the CC him/herself then it will be by a senior staffer. So if you have a genuine issue then put them to work, it's what they are there for.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However it should be noted that in the UK we have policing by consent. Basically they not only work for you but they are also answerable to you as well. For example every letter to the Chief Constable is always answered. If not by the CC him/herself then it will be by a senior staffer. So if you have a genuine issue then put them to work, it's what they are there for.

Absolutely. What we want is a police force of officers and support staff spending all their time answering tossbag letters from whinging shites and not preventing, reducing and detecting crime.

Absolutely. What we want is a police force of officers and support staff spending all their time answering tossbag letters from whinging shites and not preventing, reducing and detecting crime.

Dear me, you really are the most piss-poor troll that's ever appeared on here, imho of course.

Perhaps I should also point out the vast amount of police work that is generated by anonymous letters. Well, it certainly was in my day. Sure most were generated by jealousy or spite or some such but because they sometimes pointed to genuine crime they couldn't really be ignored.

Dear me, you really are the most piss-poor troll that's ever appeared on here, imho of course.

Laughable that you try to teach others about irony!

I think Censorship was quite right.

Policing by consent is by no means a new concept and it doesn't only relate to the UK. It is merely one of the principles of good policing "To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."

You would prefer people wasting the time of the Chief Constable by writing only to them when there are other more appropriate ways and ways that were established for that very reason.

You really are as stupid as you appear to be.

Theo,

People can, and do write to the Commissioner, but the usual way is via the Chief Constable's Office. Depending on exactly what the complaint is, we can then assess whether it is something that the local commander should make an attempt to resolve, or whether indeed it does need to have a full blown investigation. The Commissioner is an astute guy, and keeps a very close eye on the whole process. And if a local resolution can't be made to the complainants satisfaction, it is simple enough to progress it to the next stage.

The vast majority of our shortcomings are fairly minor in nature, but have sufficiently disappointed the person involved for them to rightly demand it be looked into. Whether locally resolved, or dealt with by a full investigation resulting in disciplinary actions, the trick is that we need to learn from the experience, and try and prevent it happening again.

Like I said, it is important for people to let us know where we get it wrong, or even where we were OK but could have done better. We just want to be really good at what we do.

Perhaps I should also point out the vast amount of police work that is generated by anonymous letters.

Bull shit, bullshit, bullshit. But don't just take my word for it - let's ask a cop. Derek, how many crimes have you uncovered based on anonymous letters to the Chief Constable?

Well, it certainly was in my day.

Of course, you were a dibble weren't you. And a soldier. And a business owner. No doubt you were also a shipping magnate, journalist, spiritual church leader, lawyer and cleaner.

In fact, you are Barrie Stevens and I claim my £5.

Laughable that you try to teach others about irony!

I think Censorship was quite right.

Policing by consent is by no means a new concept and it doesn't only relate to the UK. It is merely one of the principles of good policing "To maintain at all times a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and that the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."

You would prefer people wasting the time of the Chief Constable by writing only to them when there are other more appropriate ways and ways that were established for that very reason.

You really are as stupid as you appear to be.

Another weak effort. The personal insults say more about your "argument" than cash ever can.

Now I think censorship really is a piss-poor troll, the worst on here, but I'm more than willing to revise that opinion given the right causes. Take this pathetic effort for example:

Of course, you were a dibble weren't you. And a soldier. And a business owner. No doubt you were also a shipping magnate, journalist, spiritual church leader, lawyer and cleaner.

As I have posted before I've never been a business owner. As I have posted before I was once in partnership with a friend making commercial cleaning fluid of all things. As I have posted before in the end I left him to it.

Unlike most on here, with some notable exceptions, I have absolutely no need to tell it any other way than exactly how it is...

That's interesting. I have never come across this statement. It's complete bollocks though.

It might reflect the views of a nineteenth century politician but it isn't the truth. The police are not the public, and the public are not the police. The police are an arm of the State, and the State is not the people.

Yes the policeman is a person, but once the man dons on the uniform he assumes a role that is in service of that State. Its interests do not necessarily match the interests of the people. (I think they are opposed to it) Aside from whether they are considered to do good work by often being helpful or very brave, and for those who think they are enforcing laws we agree with, all it takes is the State to adopt laws we don't agree with and which aren't in our interests/welfare that the difference is plain.

There is little choice about accepting the authority of the State, it's law, and the powers of the police. For those who do not consent, there it little that can be done about it. For those who do consent, how many of them have only an understanding that comes from being told fallacies such as the law being THEIR law and the police THEIR servants, mainstream political views are heavily swayed by propaganda - and that results in manufactured consent.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

I dont HAVE to put up any proof of bugging, the proof is all over the media, ie radio, newspapers, tv ect and obviously the most important area - the internet!

Do you not remember the bugging scandal at the police head quarters which was exposed quite recently?

As for getting in touch with the chief constables office and the police commission regarding complaints ect

Would it not be be a good idea to post any issues or complaints the pubic may have onto a public forum soes its all out in public view, and sort it out from there? rather than behind closed doors?

After all if there is nothing to hide and there has been no injustice committed then surley there should be nothing for anyone to worry about!

Im not sure im favour of the police themselves investigating complaints against the police !!!!! :(

Edited by midnight

I don’t HAVE to put up any “proof” of bugging, the proof is all over the media, ie radio, newspapers, tv ect and obviously the most important area - the internet!

Do you not remember the “bugging scandal” at the police head quarters which was exposed quite recently?

As for getting in touch with the chief constables office and the police commission regarding complaints ect

Would it not be be a good idea to post any issues or complaints the pubic may have onto a public forum soes its all out in public view, and sort it out from there? rather than behind closed doors?

After all if there is nothing to hide and there has been no injustice committed then surley there should be nothing for anyone to worry about!

Im not sure im favour of the police themselves investigating complaints against the police !!!!! :(

I quite like that idea midnight :) the public posting etc....

I don’t HAVE to put up any “proof” of bugging, the proof is all over the media, ie radio, newspapers, tv ect and obviously the most important area - the internet!

Do you not remember the “bugging scandal” at the police head quarters which was exposed quite recently?

It's an age old problem.

Question: "Who watches the watchers?"

Answer: "They have to watch themselves..."

You build in safeguards via public overwatch and processes. But to assume that the police aren't human is totally stupid. Almost as stupid as bugging so-called "private" interview rooms. They paid for that and as your post proves they are still paying for it. The ultimate loser in the loss of confidence that generated is, as ever, the public they are there to protect. So to put on public view internal possibly disciplinary proceedings would knock that confidence back still further imho, even if the inquiries came to nothing. Hence it's best off behind closed doors until there is a case to answer.