The Police

Ben Varrey

The loser is not the public, but only the police. A member of the public does not personally lose out because they form a lower opinion of the police. When a crime occurs, their only recourse is to phone 999. That never changes. Why do you think differently about this institution that you think ultimately exists to protect the public?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t HAVE to put up any “proof” of bugging, the proof is all over the media, ie radio, newspapers, tv ect and obviously the most important area - the internet!

Do you not remember the “bugging scandal” at the police head quarters which was exposed quite recently?

2003 was quite recently? What timescale do you work on?

Yep i do agrea PK but just to add, if the police knowingly break the law, which they did via the bugging scandle, then they should NOT be seen to "get away with it"

We cant have one law for us and anther for the police!

The police should NOT be above the law, just because they enforce the law!

The bugging scanndle which came to light, and lets remeber it was ILLEGAL what they were doing irrispective as to whether is was for the good of the public, the exposure cud actually STRENTHEN pubilc confidence in the police?

I personally have much more faith and trust in the police after the bugging was exposed and not hidden away and swept under the carpet.

Transparancy and openess is the way forward ! :)

Sorry ive lost all sense of time just latley ! been busy for a good few years with a major project of mine! Im not sure what year the bugging scandle came to light!

But think you will all be very plesantly suprised by what ive been doing and why ive done it! :)

It was just a promice I made! :)

The loser is not the public, but only the police. A member of the public does not personally lose out because they form a lower opinion of the police. When a crime occurs, their only recourse is to phone 999. That never changes. Why do you think differently about this institution that you think ultimately exists to protect the public?

I disagree. Follow the logic:

The police end up on the naughty step.

Public confidence, trust, faith, whatever in their institution plummets.

The public are then much less inclined to offer Mr Plod assistance with info etc.

The job of the police get's more difficult.

They therefore achieve less.

Therefore the public's police force does less for them.

Midnight et al.......

The police already publish publicly outcomes. see Learning The Lessons

We have had a look at it here. The problem is, because of the size of the place, it is very difficult to sufficiently redact so that members of the public, let alone anyone else involved, can be indentified.

Learning the Lessons, along with the publication of the major IPCC cases is a cracking piece of work. We read them, and see how the circs apply to our own environment as a health check

worth a read over a brew and a biscuit if it is the sort of thing that floats your boat :D

I disagree. Follow the logic:

The police end up on the naughty step.

Public confidence, trust, faith, whatever in their institution plummets.

The public are then much less inclined to offer Mr Plod assistance with info etc.

The job of the police get's more difficult.

They therefore achieve less.

Therefore the public's police force does less for them.

Sorry to press on the subject, but in practice I can't see how this would be realised, as ultimately, were a crime to occur and were conventional justice be required, who else would sort the problem out?

There would have to be a belief that the police could not enforce the law in order to prevent people from contacting them.

Sorry to press on the subject, but in practice I can't see how this would be realised, as ultimately, were a crime to occur and were conventional justice be required, who else would sort the problem out?

There would have to be a belief that the police could not enforce the law in order to prevent people from contacting them.

No need to say sorry! As polite as ever I see.

The police need the assistance of the public to solve crimes. Because it's not very often the police on patrol come across a guy wearing a mask, a striped jersey and carrying a sack with "SWAG" written on it. The less help they get, the harder it becomes. They still enforce the law of course, they just don't do it so efficiently. Of course, the public aren't helping themselves by being less co-operative but that seems to be the way it goes.

I mean, after the bugging incident would you trust a copper?

The reason I ask is because for me I think it is a question of trusting them to do what exactly?

I can only think that the issue you're discussing only becomes a significant factor if the public have absolutely no trust in the police, i.e. that it isn't worth passing over information to them.

But that is unlikely to occur unless there is something systemic that the public identify or rather where the State's interests do become obviously and clearly opposed to those of the public.

I do believe that it all comes down to the matter of a public who have no recourse but to use the police and believe that the police are their protectors.

Thanks for the link derek!

Think the site would be more usefull tho had we not had to download the information from PDF files!

Its not really my specific area of expertise nor interest really.

But still a worthwhile site, definilty!

The police overall do a good job, however there are times when they threaten people if they belive it appropriate to do so when there not in possesion of ALL the TRUE facts!

This sort of thing should NOT happen!!!!!! :angry:

Edited by midnight

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/education/puppet_policeman_to_spread_message_1_3139812

This is the sort of stuff that makes your crawl - trying to foster positive relationships by getting at people when they are young and very impressionably.

I have no problem in schemes to educate on how to contact the police and what to do if you are a victim crime. Or even aspects of this schemes, as they involve the consequences of crimes.

It's quite another thing to try and impress upon children that interaction with the police should be considered normal and most certainly ought not to be part of everyday life. And then the concomitant result of this policy, which may lead people to actually consider the intrusion or involvement of police with wariness and the suspicion that attends their authority.

If people view the police as the enemy when they get to adulthood, then why has that come about?

And why is it right to change perceptions by taking advantage of the gullibility of very young people?

And it's curious also why (supposedly) children have a positive image of the police, even think they are heroes (!), yet come to see them as enemies.

But why? Is it experience?

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/education/puppet_policeman_to_spread_message_1_3139812

This is the sort of stuff that makes your crawl - trying to foster positive relationships by getting at people when they are young and very impressionably.

I totally and completely disagree with you. Fostering good relationships between the police and the children of today/teenagers of tomorrow is absolutely essential. These children will have more chance of growing up to view the police as a force for good, a force useful to the community and not "The enemy" as you would like them to think.

God forbid that you should ever be a parent, it's people like you with outdated/idiotic views of authority that bring children up to automatically hate the police, children who are far more likely to end up as criminals spending their lives rebelling against authority and becoming a drain on society as a whole.

Do you ever actually think about the drivel you post? If anything makes my skin crawl it's the possibility that there are enough people in society who share your views to actually bring some of your ridiculous and fantastical ideas to fruition.

I totally and completely disagree with you. Fostering good relationships between the police and the children of today/teenagers of tomorrow is absolutely essential. These children will have more chance of growing up to view the police as a force for good, a force useful to the community and not "The enemy" as you would like them to think.

God forbid that you should ever be a parent, it's people like you with outdated/idiotic views of authority that bring children up to automatically hate the police, children who are far more likely to end up as criminals spending their lives rebelling against authority and becoming a drain on society as a whole.

Do you ever actually think about the drivel you post? If anything makes my skin crawl it's the possibility that there are enough people in society who share your views to actually bring some of your ridiculous and fantastical ideas to fruition.

And why are you interested that children have this understanding, i.e. an understanding that they are useful to the community and not the 'enemy', etc.?

Should such a view not be apparent, considering that you truly think that they are useful and not the enemy.

Where do you think this awful misunderstanding originates? If it's not strong, why tell fibs to kids?

Don't blame people like me though, there's not enough libertarian minded people!

You seem to think the alternative is to make them 'hate' the police, if I had my way. But why not just let them make their minds up themselves. Ostensibly, the conclusion seems to be that individuals are ambiguous about how the feel about the police.

At the very least, I get suspicious when anyone feels they have to improve their image.

My views are hardly outdated considering the ever growing distrust of the State and increasing education of the public in particular aspects of the State's behaviour.

As for the comment about 'more likely to be criminals and a drain to society' and your thinking that criminals are rebelling against authority, you could have done without that. Although the latter is true to a small extent and I understand the rest of your post from your outlook, you're just talking rubbish.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

And why are you interested that children have this understanding, i.e. an understanding that they are useful

Because the police are not only useful but an essential element of any civilized society whether you like it or not.

My views are hardly outdated considering the ever growing distrust of the State and increasing education of the public in particular aspects of the State's behaviour.

The police are not the state. The police are tools of the state, there to interpret and enforce the laws enacted by the state. It is not up to the police to make the laws.

If you do not agree with the laws blame the government for making them, we live in a democratic (A dirty word to you, I know) society where we vote for the politicians who make them.

Every society gets the government it deserves.

As for the comment about 'more likely to be criminals and a drain to society' and your thinking that criminals are rebelling against authority, you could have done without that. Although the latter is true to a small extent and I understand the rest of your post from your outlook, you're just talking rubbish.

I stand by that statement. Children of parents who have no respect for the police are more likely to end up as criminals. I understand that sometimes people have to commit crimes in order to survive but this is the fault of society as a whole in putting them in this position and ultimately the state, but not the police.

Those who distrust/hate the police are generally those who have a good reason to avoid contact with them, ie. criminals.

And I accept that my use of the word "Outdated" may be open to interpretation but definitely not wrong.