The Police

Ben Varrey

I totally and completely disagree with you. Fostering good relationships between the police and the children of today/teenagers of tomorrow is absolutely essential. These children will have more chance of growing up to view the police as a force for good, a force useful to the community and not "The enemy" as you would like them to think.

God forbid that you should ever be a parent, it's people like you with outdated/idiotic views of authority that bring children up to automatically hate the police, children who are far more likely to end up as criminals spending their lives rebelling against authority and becoming a drain on society as a whole.

Do you ever actually think about the drivel you post? If anything makes my skin crawl it's the possibility that there are enough people in society who share your views to actually bring some of your ridiculous and fantastical ideas to fruition.

And why are you interested that children have this understanding, i.e. an understanding that they are useful

Because the police are not only useful but an essential element of any civilized society whether you like it or not.

My views are hardly outdated considering the ever growing distrust of the State and increasing education of the public in particular aspects of the State's behaviour.

The police are not the state. The police are tools of the state, there to interpret and enforce the laws enacted by the state. It is not up to the police to make the laws.

If you do not agree with the laws blame the government for making them, we live in a democratic (A dirty word to you, I know) society where we vote for the politicians who make them.

Every society gets the government it deserves.

As for the comment about 'more likely to be criminals and a drain to society' and your thinking that criminals are rebelling against authority, you could have done without that. Although the latter is true to a small extent and I understand the rest of your post from your outlook, you're just talking rubbish.

I stand by that statement. Children of parents who have no respect for the police are more likely to end up as criminals. I understand that sometimes people have to commit crimes in order to survive but this is the fault of society as a whole in putting them in this position and ultimately the state, but not the police.

Those who distrust/hate the police are generally those who have a good reason to avoid contact with them, ie. criminals.

And I accept that my use of the word "Outdated" may be open to interpretation but definitely not wrong.

Should the police have the authority to interpret the law, enforce without prejudice yes, but to interpret does this mean that they can decide under what circumstances and to whom the laws should apply?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the police are not only useful but an essential element of any civilized society whether you like it or not.
Do you have any proof that this is the case? Can you comment on any civilised society? In my outlook, the stronger and more prevalent the role of the police is in society, the less civlised it is likely to be.
The police are not the state. The police are tools of the state, there to interpret and enforce the laws enacted by the state.
Yes, they are a tool of the state. They are an arm of the State. They form part of the State.
It is not up to the police to make the laws.If you do not agree with the laws blame the government for making them
Oh no, it's the same argument used for people in the armed forces. Rather to treat people in the forces or in the police as human beings with the ability to make decisions over their career choice and day-by-day actions you treat them almost as unthinking drones. Unthinking drones, but of course performing an overall role that you think is admirable, that greater purpose.

Ultimately, the role of the police in countries such as ourts is to clean up the mess caused by government and particular economic problems. They are the human dustbin men. But the problem is that they exist to maintain a status quo, continually dealing the problems just so society can tick on as before by brushing under the carpet those who manage least well in it.

we live in a democratic (A dirty word to you, I know) society where we vote for the politicians who make them.
No, it is not a dirty word. You just don't understand it. A society that is democratic is not simply one where people vote. That is a small democratic process, that's all.
Every society gets the government it deserves.
And thus the criminals it deserves. Absolutely agree.

I stand by that statement. Children of parents who have no respect for the police are more likely to end up as criminals.
Evidence of this? How does a low opinion of the police relate to a greater likelihood of breaking the law. The children still understand the law and understand the consequences if caught, as with adults.
I understand that sometimes people have to commit crimes in order to survive but this is the fault of society as a whole in putting them in this position and ultimately the state, but not the police.
Or even not to survive. Some people commit awful crimes against their peers just because they want to own something someone else has. But that situation is created by the State and the police were created to suppress that response.
Those who distrust/hate the police are generally those who have a good reason to avoid contact with them, ie. criminals.
Distrust and hate are of course very different things. It is quite natural to wish for no contact with the police unless you need their help. As with any State or outside intrusion, it is unwarranted in your life unless you require it or unless they are very good reasons for it.
And I accept that my use of the word "Outdated" may be open to interpretation but definitely not wrong
Go on...why is it outdated? Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

Do you have any proof that this is the case?

So I take it you dont regard the police office who comforts the parants of a child murdered by one of you misguided members of society, or goes out of their way to help a pension mugged or goes to tall a parent their child has just been run over not an essential part and not useful. Get a grip.

By all means include it in your assessment, as ancllary as it is. Include the fact that many police officers are very heroic. Many police officers are actually are or seem very nice people. And I certainly don't think there are malevolent forces at work in this scheme. But the matter for me is always brought back to the fact that the ultimate role is police is not in the interests of the community for the reasons I have mentioned. And I think it is awful sweet-talking to kids so they have a different impression, when at that age they don't know any better.

Let them make their mind up themselves. If the people are unsure about the police, work out why first.

But the matter for me is always brought back to the fact that the ultimate role is police is not in the interests of the community for the reasons I have mentioned.

Really? So maintaining law and order is not in the interests of the wider community? Its encouraging that the minute that you are robbed, assaulted, hospitalised, or potentially bummed to death by a mad axe murderer that you don't expect the police to have the powers to stop it. That's quite refreshing really. What will be will be, and instruments of the State should just sit back and let chaos and random events happen.

I understand that a certain member of the police force sometimes visits this forum (which in itself is rather worrying). So, I would like to ask him a question:

Have the police become too impotent to be effective within and for the community?

As one of the potential comeovers I have a question.

Do the Police force not have a liaison officer? Communication is everything.

In such a small community as yours it would seem to be an important role and one which would no doubt benefit all.

In our tiny village in England a good friend of mine was the "local Bobby" and he always said his best resource were the villagers themselves - it worked for him and us.

There is obviously a great deal of controversy regarding the role of the Police and their task wherever you live but I would imagine nobody would wish to be without them - criminals aside of course.

As far as we are aware the Island has an extremely low crime rate which is something to be proud of and one can only assume this is great part due to the efforts of the Police?

Not taking sides here by the way but as an "outsider" - at least for the moment - it seems a shame that everybody can't work together.

Perception is everything even when it's not true.

We look forward to the Islands low crime rate and feeling safe in our community.

Each to their own.

Marc

...and one can only assume this is great part due to the efforts of the Police?
Why that assumption? It could be a possibility, But maybe there is less motivation for people to commit crimes, possibly as a result of there being very very little to no poverty and higher living standards.

In any case, the police don't and can't do much to prevent crime.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

I understand that a certain member of the police force sometimes visits this forum (which in itself is rather worrying). So, I would like to ask him a question:

Have the police become too impotent to be effective within and for the community?

As one of the potential comeovers I have a question.

Do the Police force not have a liaison officer? Communication is everything.

In such a small community as yours it would seem to be an important role and one which would no doubt benefit all.

In our tiny village in England a good friend of mine was the "local Bobby" and he always said his best resource were the villagers themselves - it worked for him and us.

There is obviously a great deal of controversy regarding the role of the Police and their task wherever you live but I would imagine nobody would wish to be without them - criminals aside of course.

As far as we are aware the Island has an extremely low crime rate which is something to be proud of and one can only assume this is great part due to the efforts of the Police?

Not taking sides here by the way but as an "outsider" - at least for the moment - it seems a shame that everybody can't work together.

Perception is everything even when it's not true.

We look forward to the Islands low crime rate and feeling safe in our community.

Each to their own.

Marc

Please ignore the comments tin the post that followed yours. They were made by LDV, a failed student who has rarely visited the real world and then only by accident.

The local police, for the most part, do an excellent job of preventing/solving crimes.

Having said that, the majority of crime on the island is of a minor nature and local knowledge will often direct them to the perpetrators without the need to send for Sherlock Holmes! There are, of course, local bobbies in each area who are known and liked by their communities.

Response times to incidents are, in my experience, first rate. They're willing to offer free advice about home security should you feel it necessary and the vast majority of them are friendly and approachable.

Please ignore the comments tin the post that followed yours. They were made by LDV, a failed student who has rarely visited the real world and then only by accident.

Failed student? And I happen to live in the real world, can hardly help doing otherwise. I just have what I believe to be a less simplistic and more realistic understanding of certain matters.

The local police, for the most part, do an excellent job of preventing/solving crimes.

Evidence

Why that assumption? It could be a possibility, But maybe there is less motivation for people to commit crimes, possibly as a result of there being very very little to no poverty and higher living standards.

I think that's a very encouraging response - less motivation for people to commit crime is proactive rather than reactive so can't be a bad thing.

I guess that not being able to anonymously get off the Island after a blag or two might help as well but whatever works....

I can only say that your reply is encouraging and you all still have somewhere to be proud of.

Regards

Marc

For the love of God (Allah, Buddha, Superman and the orphans), why do you people still try to argue some sense into LDV about anything to do with the State (police, crime, Armed Forces, the greater good of humanity...)

You'd have more success bring the Titanic up from the ocean floor with good intentions and pixie dust.