Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Addie

Crafting

I need a few crafting bits and bobs but I'm having trouble sourcing them on island and I'd really prefer to spend on island if possible.

At the moment I'm trying to find the latest Cuttlebug and a few other items.

Thanks

Have you tried Joans Wools and Crafts in the Onchan precinct as they have quite a lot of craft stuff in there.

I am an avid crafter and struggle to get supplies locally. The craft shop in Ramsey has a few bits and bobs, but they are primarily a sizzix supplier not cuttlebug (actually there might have been one in there - can't quite remember), they are handy to get little bits like foam tape, glitter glue etc. The office supplies shop that is near marksies has a few nice bits to, like paper, flowers, card etc. I found nowhere on the Island to get any "decent" stuff, being a card maker, making cards with stamps, promarkers and decorative papers etc, I have found ebay to be the best source (I got a nice second hand bigshot for £25.00. I find that some of the online shops really rip you off on postage to the Isle of Man - so be careful, I use Handy Hippo and Sir Stampalot the most, but ebay is pretty good especially for second hand dies etc

Thanks Minxie

I was on Joan's in Onchan Precinct yesterday, but not a lot there card/scrap booking wise to be honest, paint-wise OK though. What on earth has happened to the Precinct? It looks really sad.

I felt sure that there had to be place in Douglas somewhere though.

Thanks too, We Like The Moon.

I go into the Ramsey shop quite a lot but nice as she is, it's a little bit hit and miss with certain things. Nice shop though.

I'll remember the ebay thought on 2nd hand dies though, good idea that once I get the machine. Sadly it looks like it will be UK. I envy you the bigshot bargain!

I've had a couple of quotes and they're excellent postage-wise for the Cuttlebug. They seem pretty good contacts.

£6.00 - www.craftathome.co.uk

Free - www.cuttingedgecrafts.co.uk

Free - www.craftsuperstore.co.uk

Edited by Addie

My other half asked me to get her some needles and I went into a crafty / sewing type shop in St Pauls square. I never knew there are so many different types of needles! I'm no expert but it might be worth a look.

Hi

I know its hard to find those craft items on the island.

I am a stampin up demostrator based on the island if anyone is interested in ordering a catalogue, seeing some products or placing an order. Stampin up sells everything from rubber stamps, card, inks, punches, brads, ribbons, scrapbook papers and cardstock, craft tools and much more. New mini catalogue is due out in April. You can contact me for more information on 492340.

Thanks

Hayley

Edited by Hayley

Do you do the craft shows in UK, Hayley?

I can't understand why crafting seems such a neglected hobby over here. In other places it's absolutely huge!

I personally dont have a stand at the shows. I know Stampin up have a stand, I am just a demostrator on the island. I have been to a few shows and they are so popular. I know what you mean about crafting on the island.

Hi

I am a stampin up demostrator based on the island if anyone is interested in ordering a catalogue, seeing some products or placing an order. Stampin up sells everything from rubber stamps, card, inks, punches, brads, ribbons, scrapbook papers and cardstock, craft tools and much more. New mini catalogue is due out in April. You can contact me for more information on 492340.

Thanks

Hayley

Hi Hayley

I am on the mailing list for the "castletown crop" after expressing an interest with one of your members ages ago (which I think you might be part of???)....but I've never had the courage to go yet...I would like to make the effort to attend (my husband works shifts so it couldn't guarentee coming every time). The reason why I haven't come, is I'm not sure whether it would be suitable for me as I am not a scrapbooker but an avid card maker.....would it still be worth me coming????? (if indeed you are the hayley I think you are and not someone else with nothing to do with Castletown crop!!)

Does anyone know of any other craft groups especially in the North of the Island?????

Edited by We Like The Moon

Hi

Thanks

Hayley

Hi Hayley

I am on the mailing list for the "castletown crop" after expressing an interest with one of your members ages ago (which I think you might be part of???)....but I've never had the courage to go yet...I would like to make the effort to attend (my husband works shifts so it couldn't guarentee coming every time). The reason why I haven't come, is I'm not sure whether it would be suitable for me as I am not a scrapbooker but an avid card maker.....would it still be worth me coming????? (if indeed you are the hayley I think you are and not someone else with nothing to do with Castletown crop!!)

Does anyone know of any other craft groups especially in the North of the Island?????

Yes it is me. You are more than welcome to join in and you don't have to come every month. Some ladies don't do scrapbooking and just cards and lots of ladies do both. I started with cards then scrapbooking and now do both, I love rubber stamping.

Sorry don't know of any groups in the north of Island.

Edited by Hayley

I too am an avid card maker. Not quite got into scrapbooking yet.

I'm in the north too. Wouldn't a group up here be great? Not too formal though as I couldn't make it too often.

Maybe have a word in the Ramsey Craft shop and put a poster up?

BTW The Misses Gawnes shop near the Coop have a sale of useful bits and bobs.

I found a great craft shop in Preston last week, I know its no use to you, but if you know of anyone in the area maybe they could get stuff for you

I think they have a website

Its called Inspirations.......... me and my daughter went to get some Can Can wool to make one of the scarfs that seems to be all the rage, what I liked about this shop was that the assistants are all craft minded people and nothing is too much trouble....... they even demonstrated hints and tips......

Some of the other stores like Hobbycraft employ people who dont have a clue about craft, I will almost certainly be going back to Inspirations

Hi there I Like the Moon and Addie

Just to let you know that a friend and myself run quite a few craft workshops and events in the North. These are usually advertised by poster around the town and in Ramsey Craft Centre. Every second month we hold a Saturday afternoon cardmaking workshop, the cost of which includes all your materials, refreshments, lucky ticket draw, card competition etc. In the intervening month we hold a Wednesday evening workshop where we would explore a technique and make a project. These are both by booking only and we have a mailing list which where we notify everyone what is on and when and they can just book for whatever appeals to them. In addition to this, we hold a regular scrapbooking workshop/class on the last Saturday in each month at St Paul's church hall, 2 to approx. 4pm. Currently you don't have to book for it but if you are able to let us know ahead if you are able to come, it helps with the number of kits etc to produce. I also demonstrate on the third Tuesday afternoon of each month at a group called Ballaugh Crafty Crafters out at Ballaugh Church Hall. Again 2 - 4pm'ish where we do mostly cardmaking projects for which a kit is available, you just bring your basic crafting tools. If anyone would like to go on our mailing list or would like to know any more about crafting - it is my full time job! then feel free to phone me on 814776 or email me at craftyangel@wimanx.net and I would be happy to help.

Cheers

Craftyangel

Hi There

Welcome to the forums.

This sounds excellent for us oop north! How much are the workshops btw?

You have mail... :)

Hi there I Like the Moon and Addie

Just to let you know that a friend and myself run quite a few craft workshops and events in the North. These are usually advertised by poster around the town and in Ramsey Craft Centre. Every second month we hold a Saturday afternoon cardmaking workshop, the cost of which includes all your materials, refreshments, lucky ticket draw, card competition etc. In the intervening month we hold a Wednesday evening workshop where we would explore a technique and make a project. These are both by booking only and we have a mailing list which where we notify everyone what is on and when and they can just book for whatever appeals to them. In addition to this, we hold a regular scrapbooking workshop/class on the last Saturday in each month at St Paul's church hall, 2 to approx. 4pm. Currently you don't have to book for it but if you are able to let us know ahead if you are able to come, it helps with the number of kits etc to produce. I also demonstrate on the third Tuesday afternoon of each month at a group called Ballaugh Crafty Crafters out at Ballaugh Church Hall. Again 2 - 4pm'ish where we do mostly cardmaking projects for which a kit is available, you just bring your basic crafting tools. If anyone would like to go on our mailing list or would like to know any more about crafting - it is my full time job! then feel free to phone me on 814776 or email me at craftyangel@wimanx.net and I would be happy to help.

Cheers

Craftyangel