Mega Pet Shop On The Way

Aquarius

I have recently discovered the wonder that is the Country Store but was dismayed to hear that permission has been given for a Pet shop " superstore " chain from across, to open directly next door! This pet supermarket has been given permission to extend therefore completely overshadowing and essentially obliterating the Country Store. They feel they now have to search for alternative premises in order to survive. I find this lack of loyalty from whoever gives permission for these applications, staggering! What happened to supporting local island businesses? Even as a comeover, my trade will follow Country Store and I will not be setting foot inside the new store ........ Not even for a skeet!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have recently discovered the wonder that is the Country Store but was dismayed to hear that permission has been given for a Pet shop " superstore " chain from across, to open directly next door! This pet supermarket has been given permission to extend therefore completely overshadowing and essentially obliterating the Country Store. They feel they now have to search for alternative premises in order to survive. I find this lack of loyalty from whoever gives permission for these applications, staggering! What happened to supporting local island businesses? Even as a comeover, my trade will follow Country Store and I will not be setting foot inside the new store ........ Not even for a skeet!

The government's primary interest is, and always has been in keeping unemployment low at virtually any cost, even at a loss in the case of the MEA shops. It's far less interested in local businesses.

So if a large corporation expresses even the slightest interest, they will welcome it with open arms and bend over backwards to accomodate it, especially if doing so involves a temporary boost to the construction industry. It doesn't matter if it forces local businesses under, accelerates the decline of smaller communities into ghost towns, if the 'job creation' actually just shifts the labour around and replaces retail jobs that involved skill and/or knowledge with low paid till work, or even if a large amount of the money we spend in those big stores ultimately leaves the Island for good: a short term rise in employment will nearly always win the backing of government over more long term or qualitative concerns.

A mixture of provincial insecurity in Government that demands we play 'keeping up with the joneses' with the UK, a near pathological fear of history repeating itself in the form of migration and winter work schemes, and a slavish obsession with the construction idustry will ensure that local and small businesses always get screwed over on the Island.

Edited by VinnieK

And presumably the situation is the same in the Channel Islands, from what I have heard. Local businesses being put under pressure because of the increasing number of larger corporations setting up on the Island.

Though I suppose this is the trend across much of the world.

Why would they feel they have to move? If their customer base is loyal and their prices are fair, then the big shop next door might actually bring in new customers. lots of comments on the forums request compertition from UK chains to arrive on the island, Currys, Dixons etc. Well here's one, see how it goes.

Anyhoo, already a thread on the subject here.

What's the difference between this and when country warehouse set up putting pressure on smaller pet shops in town? I'm not a fan of large out of town retail, seems like country warehouse is getting a taste of it's own medicine?

Planning can't dictate what kind of store opens can it? If it's zoned retail and I wanted to set up a telly shop next to Waltons, I could.

You know what? the people who own that estate do not live on the island, the directors of the company whom run the lettings are however, residents (none to shoddy houses either). Vote with yer feet, you do not have to shop there. Is it really worth that 50p saving? Our government are renting at least 3 units up there (our taxes going off island as rent....cool) and now they are leasing to people who will inevitably put the small local petshops out of business, sucky. I'll not shop there.

What's the difference between this and when country warehouse set up putting pressure on smaller pet shops in town? I'm not a fan of large out of town retail, seems like country warehouse is getting a taste of it's own medicine?

Planning can't dictate what kind of store opens can it? If it's zoned retail and I wanted to set up a telly shop next to Waltons, I could.

tesco weren't allowed to expand their store to open new lines which would compete with what passes as the high street shops.

[Planning can't dictate what kind of store opens can it? If it's zoned retail and I wanted to set up a telly shop next to Waltons, I could.

Planning permission can and does distinguish between different types of retail store, at least in the UK. Concerns like the impact on existing retailers, community and so on can all form the basis of a rejection of planning approval for retail development, as they did in St Albans and Sheringham with Tesco.

A problem that often arises is if the store in question really wants something, they can use their resources to mount repeated appeals, or even just threaten to do so, and claim costs until the local council simply can't afford to refuse them.

I'm really not sure that the government do bend over backwards for major UK companies?

The company I worked for left the island in disgust at the way they were treated here, leaving 40 people redundant. It backfired when the CM was giving a talk to UK businesses in London about the virtues of the Island and 'freedom to flourish' when this was publically pointed out by one of their chief executives!

Why would they feel they have to move? If their customer base is loyal and their prices are fair, then the big shop next door might actually bring in new customers. lots of comments on the forums request compertition from UK chains to arrive on the island, Currys, Dixons etc. Well here's one, see how it goes.

Anyhoo, already a thread on the subject here.

I well there prices might have to be fair from now on, most of the stuff in there is well over priced and you can get most stuff cheaper on the island eles where anyways,

And the owner is far from short ;)