Mega Pet Shop On The Way

Aquarius

What did the Government do that prompted them to leave?

They basically needed land to build a car dealership but were repeatedly pushed back to a well known firm of builders who had a grip on commercial land. These people wanted 5.5m to build a similar building to that which the company had built in Warrington for 2.5m. When the government were approached they offered no assistance at all. In fact the local company who previously owned the business had run into the same problems and were forced to sell up as they could not meet their manufacturers standards in the rented building they were in and being charged a crazy rent for!

There was a lot more to it, such as the compulsory local directors feeding at the trough at great expense for zero input, but the business just became unviable and the local workforce were dumped!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have recently discovered the wonder that is the Country Store but was dismayed to hear that permission has been given for a Pet shop " superstore " chain from across, to open directly next door! This pet supermarket has been given permission to extend therefore completely overshadowing and essentially obliterating the Country Store. They feel they now have to search for alternarnative

premises in order to survive. I find this lack of loyalty from whoever gives permission for these applications, staggering! What happened to supporting local island businesses? Even as a comeover, my trade will follow Country Store and I will not be setting foot inside the new store ........ Not even for a skeet!

they feel they have to move because the store is literally next to them and has planning permission to be wider and facing the main roa. So Country Warehouse will be behind them. Fair play to them they are not folding but seeking alternative premises. I support the smaller pet shops but this place literally is the only place I could find what I wanted. Think it's unfair is all. They could of been given a site elsewhere.

Why would they feel they have to move? If their customer base is loyal and their prices are fair, then the big shop next door might actually bring in new customers. lots of comments on the forums request compertition from UK chains to arrive on the island, Currys, Dixons etc. Well here's one, see how it goes.

Anyhoo, already a thread on the subject here.

[Planning can't dictate what kind of store opens can it? If it's zoned retail and I wanted to set up a telly shop next to Waltons, I could.

Planning permission can and does distinguish between different types of retail store, at least in the UK. Concerns like the impact on existing retailers, community and so on can all form the basis of a rejection of planning approval for retail development, as they did in St Albans and Sheringham with Tesco.

A problem that often arises is if the store in question really wants something, they can use their resources to mount repeated appeals, or even just threaten to do so, and claim costs until the local council simply can't afford to refuse them.

They'll be back.

What did the Government do that prompted them to leave?

They basically needed land to build a car dealership but were repeatedly pushed back to a well known firm of builders who had a grip on commercial land. These people wanted 5.5m to build a similar building to that which the company had built in Warrington for 2.5m. When the government were approached they offered no assistance at all. In fact the local company who previously owned the business had run into the same problems and were forced to sell up as they could not meet their manufacturers standards in the rented building they were in and being charged a crazy rent for!

There was a lot more to it, such as the compulsory local directors feeding at the trough at great expense for zero input, but the business just became unviable and the local workforce were dumped!

So they wanted Isle of Man business development land at Warrington prices? When you say they wanted assistance from Government do you mean money? I am sure the existing car dealers over here would have loved that... How have they dumped 40 jobs if they had not even establised the dealership over here? Did they try securing alternative land? Did they go to any other developers?

Wake up sunshine and smell the coffee. This is the IoM, not some failed town in the North West.

tesco weren't allowed to expand their store to open new lines which would compete with what passes as the high street shops.

But the planning application doesn't concern the new lines, it's the physical aspects as I understood it? They wanted to raise the roof, extend the lower floor and make changes to the car parking.

This sounds like someone wants to open something similar on the pet shops doorstep. That's always a commercial risk, and doesn't seem to me to be a planning issue.

I'd say the retail outfits shouldn't be there in the first place, it's an industrial estate. Retail belongs in town centres.

But the planning application doesn't concern the new lines, it's the physical aspects as I understood it? They wanted to raise the roof, extend the lower floor and make changes to the car parking.

I believe the official reason was that the increased number of customers would be detrimental to traffic flow in that area.

I have my own theories as to the real reason.