Mega Pet Shop On The Way

Aquarius

Apparently (it was on QI), the average pet dog has a carbon footprint equivalent to two Land Cruisers. If the Manx Govt were serious about being environmentally friendly they'd ban pet shops, ban pets, and let me set fire to every dog.

Edited by Mr. Sausages

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apparently (it was on QI), the average pet dog has a carbon footprint equivalent to two Land Cruisers. If the Manx Govt were serious about being environmentally friendly they'd ban pet shops, ban pets, and let me set fire to every dog.

That would be a terrible waste of perfectly good food.

I think you'd get more heat off two 4x4's...

What did the Government do that prompted them to leave?

They basically needed land to build a car dealership but were repeatedly pushed back to a well known firm of builders who had a grip on commercial land. These people wanted 5.5m to build a similar building to that which the company had built in Warrington for 2.5m. When the government were approached they offered no assistance at all. In fact the local company who previously owned the business had run into the same problems and were forced to sell up as they could not meet their manufacturers standards in the rented building they were in and being charged a crazy rent for!

There was a lot more to it, such as the compulsory local directors feeding at the trough at great expense for zero input, but the business just became unviable and the local workforce were dumped!

So they wanted Isle of Man business development land at Warrington prices? When you say they wanted assistance from Government do you mean money? I am sure the existing car dealers over here would have loved that... How have they dumped 40 jobs if they had not even establised the dealership over here? Did they try securing alternative land? Did they go to any other developers?

Wake up sunshine and smell the coffee. This is the IoM, not some failed town in the North West.

No, they took over an existing business which employed 40 people. They were forced to leave the island after 18 months due to being unable to relocate cost effectively, the same problem as the original local owners had!

Both the original owners and the purchasers explored every available avenue, the company involved was not a small organisation with limited funds, they have major international interests outside the motor industry which would, if there had been some co-operation, have benefitted the IoM immensely!

You may think of Warrington as a failed town in the NW, but they certainly sell more cars per year in one car dealership than are sold on the IoM in total! So it makes the costs here look a little out of proportion. I was using that as an example, they are one of the biggest motor dealer groups in Europe so any town could be involved!

The coffee smells good and the sun is shining!

Edited by Max Power

Ther didn't seem to be a lack of car dealerships hear last time I looked though. Sounds like they were using as an excuse because they weren't able to make money out of the place.

Due to high rental and being unable to meet manufacturers standards as regards premises. They were actually profitable to a point but they were under instruction to move premises by the manufacturers.

There are a few gaps in representation here but most are on a wing and a prayer! Premium brand manufacturers are becoming less willing to accept the type of premises which some dealers are operating from and they lose part of their margin on cars as a result.

There are a few brands which will not return here as the investment required does not justify the effort. Realistically there are too many dealers here for the number of cars sold.

Edited by Max Power

There are a few brands which will not return here as the investment required does not justify the effort. Realistically there are too many dealers here for the number of cars sold.

Only when dealers start to pack up will i agree there is 2 many dealers here, then thats a sign theres to many, at the moment noboodys going bust so must be doing ok

Only when dealers start to pack up will i agree there is 2 many dealers here, then thats a sign theres to many, at the moment noboodys going bust so must be doing ok

Yes Gazza, I agree, but most are surviving due to the goodwill of their manufacturer who turns a blind eye to some of their standards requirements in recognition of the low volumes they are selling.

There are manufacturers who won't seek representation here as they will not compromise on those requirements.

I'd say the retail outfits shouldn't be there in the first place, it's an industrial estate. Retail belongs in town centres.

As the owner of a retail business which has just moved “out of town” I would agree that retail should be in the town centres.

Unfortunately, a combination of factors makes this more and more difficult, and ultimately led to our decision to relocate.

The changing nature of my business meant that the shop on Bucks Road, which had been our home for 7 years, was no longer suitable for our needs. Ultimately we needed a bigger store with more space to demonstrate TVs which are getting bigger and bigger (When the store opened in 2003 the biggest screen size we sold was 32”). Obviously, any new location we chose had to meet other criteria as well as just offering a more flexible space. There were considerations such as warehouse space, and the ability to get deliveries in and out which both make selecting a location in town very difficult.

By far the biggest driver in our decision to move was constant feedback from customers that they couldn’t get to us. I will happily walk to where I need to be, but modern life dictates that the majority of people want to park outside, walk in, and spend as long as they need browsing, consulting, and making a decision. Elderly customers in particular found getting to us a real issue.

None of us want to see the town centres die, but retail is changing. The major way that a local business can differentiate themselves from on-line is by offering advice and expertise which unfortunately doesn’t sit very well with people only being able to park their cars for a fixed period.

Every business is different and has different needs, and a solution that works for one won’t work for another. For us parking was a major reason for moving out of town, and in our particular case I would happily have paid for a set number of permits or scratch cards which I could have put in customers cars to allow them to stay with us for as long as required, rather than being pressured to get back before they get a ticket.

I’m not sure what the solutions are, but at the moment I can’t see many reasons for the sort of retail business that is going to compete in the internet age wanting to be in any of our town centres with the associated high rents, and unfortunately I can’t see much evidence of anybody doing anything to change it.

Yes Gazza, I agree, but most are surviving due to the goodwill of their manufacturer who turns a blind eye to some of their standards requirements in recognition of the low volumes they are selling.

There are manufacturers who won't seek representation here as they will not compromise on those requirements.

And that is wrong in my view, they should know the diffrence between the middle of london and the isle of man,

i think the manafatures that do not do this are to be honest not worth working for or being a dealer, as it shows they are only intrsted in one thing the bottem line,

All depends on the company i guess,

i do remember a phone call i had with a company away about being there dealer,

all was going great intill they said, right we want you to buy 1 of each model to hold in stock :rolleyes:

They got bloody told what they could do with that idea,

but to be fair to them they understood it in the end, and we had free use of any demo units they had free in the uk if we so wished so only the shipping costs to pay

sales may be crap, but when you take your car in for a service it suddenly needs new discs ( after 16 thousand miles ) and pads, and this bush and that suspension component, new wipers, you have a tyre that isn't quite right, and they use all manufacturer named parts on air and fuel filters at 3 times the price of an identical part supplied by the same manufacturer of said part that supplies their factory in where ever. when you question some of the info they are telling you down the phone the BS spews with profusion. i had a vehicle need new discs and pads allround despite having NEW discs fitted to the rear at the previous service 16 thousand miles earlier. the original discs managed to last till the 48 thousand miles service and i wondered why the new ones lasted 1/3rd that time?? all of a suudden there had been some crossed lines and it was only the fronts that needed doing ( and i knew that before it went in ). they did actually fit all the new parts ( some places charge you for bits and don't even fit them !! that was the missus's car ) but they obviously make on them so although unnecesary it still earns for them.

the missus's car went into a garage for a service and needed 2 suspension arms and some joints that attach to them etc, joint here and there etc and the service ended up at around 400 quid. next time we needed it serviced it went to a mate who had recently set up on his own. when it was up on the lift i got the call and he said come have a look at these extras that really need doing . low and behold the joints that attach to the suspension arms were totally shot and certainly not replaced at the previous service as we was charged for, and the actual new suspension arms?? was ONE new arm only, the finish was like new on that one and the other was a totally different finish with rust all over the place. i would suggest that lots of garages charge for unnecessary work they actually do, and at times for parts they don't even fit. from now on EVERY thing that comes off any of our vehicles that isn't a fluid i get back to see for myself and will preferably go see it in situ before it gets swapped for a new item.

Sorry, I'm turning this into a motoring thread!

WTF, if what you are saying is correct, you've been the victim of fraud. I would have taken this up with trading standards!

You are right that there are repairers out there who take advantage and I have been a victim of slick talk by a vehicle workshop myself. Luckily on company vehicles, and I have been in the motor trade all my life!

You are correct to ask for all displaced parts to be returned to you!