Nesting Jackdaws

I think it is illegal to disturb any nesting birds.

Are they actually nesting yet - or just claiming their territory for the coming months? ...like lots of birds around us seem to be doing at the moment by pairing up and guarding good nesting sites.

I suggest you email IOM Birding and you might get some good advice.

Its an offence under UK law, probably Manx laws are similar ... even if the nest isnt complete yet. Fraid you'll have to wait them out until they leave. Personally, I'd be delighted to have some birds nesting that close :)

any suggestions on who to get out to remove them?

A 22 rifle?

And someone stupid enough to risk their firearms/regulated license, their money and possibly their freedom?

A 22 rifle?

And someone stupid enough to risk their firearms/regulated license, their money and possibly their freedom?

Yeah - 2.2 rifle is a silly idea. A rocket propelled grenade would be far more effective.

Incidentally, I also heard down the pub that there are also a young pair of Jackdaws nesting in Tony Brown's whiskers this year.

A 22 rifle?

Yeah - 2.2 rifle is a silly idea. A rocket propelled grenade would be far more effective.

Incidentally, I also heard down the pub that there are also a young pair of Jackdaws nesting in Tony Brown's whiskers this year.

They probably consider it a thicket

A 22 rifle?

get a catapult and some ball bearings from country warehouse, they work well on cats shitting in your garden too i believe... ;)

Get yourself a hawk, thats what football clubs use to clear birds from stadiums ,they need to get one down parliament street to sort out the thousands of starlings and pidgeons that gather there at dusk. :o Just don't tel that muppet that wants to stop bikes going up the tracks,he threw a wobbler last time they had a pidgeon cull in the same area !! <_<

Edited by DRIVER

A 22 rifle?

shot gun is better :lol:

in the days gone past when you were allowed to cull them at nesting time, a few shells in the nest used to cure the off spring quite well :cool:

Get yourself a hawk, thats what football clubs use to clear birds from stadiums ,they need to get one down parliament street to sort out the thousands of starlings and pidgeons that gather there at dusk. :o Just don't tel that muppet that wants to stop bikes going up the tracks,he threw a wobbler last time they had a pidgeon cull in the same area !! <_<

The company hired a pest control lot who turned up with a Harris Hawk. So we all stood in the windows to watch it do it's stuff. Maybe that confused it because on release it promptly went full tilt into a window and broke it's neck.

It was difficult not to laugh but the handler was distraught!

DEFA got back to me today and told me I can't do anything whilst they are nesting, and I'll have to wait 8 weeks or so. They will send someone out to confirm the nest is empty before I remove it.

*drums fingers*

Edited by integer