Dog Breeders

lazybones

we were looking for the same breed as we had just lost a few months before, and again had to go away to get what we wanted, the last ones came from Somerset and these last two from North Wales as there were no pups locally at the time (we think two have more fun together, but you never know which to blame !)

post-1026-0-18349200-1338463496_thumb.jpg

We got a pet duck last year. He was really funny, got up to all kinds of tricks hiding around the house, and the local kids loved it when my missus took him for walks on a simple lead on the grass patch near where we live. He'd even jump in the bath with us occasionally.

But as much as he liked walking in the rain - we didn't - so we ate him last christmas.

• Like 3

We recently got a border collie pup off Manx.net

There were some spainials on there when we were looking, in a similar situation we didnt really know what we wanted and this collie popped up and went for it!

She's perfect for us

We also went to the MSPCA - All except two of them were not allowed to be rehomed with children or other animals

Two that were left was a border collie that couldnt be rehomed in Douglas & a huski which i dont fancy having around young kids as i wouldnt trust it cos i didnt know whats happened to her in the past

If you are thinking about buying a bich poo on the island or from anywhere for that matter ask the breeder if they have had any trouble with the pups hip joints, more specifically the ball part that goes into the socket in the hip.

I know of a few locally that have a hereditary disease that shows when the pups are only a few months old and starts with a bit of a limp. What is actually happening is the ball part is sort of dissolving/breaking up and although it is operatable on it is a huge operation with the resultant big Vets bills. (around 1.5K)

The vet actually just cuts the ball off and because the dogs are so light the hip works and the muscles grow around the area to support the joint. The long term outlook is good but the dogs, if out off the lead can run too much and hurt themselves so you have to be careful with them.

Cracking little dogs that do not shed any hair and have a lovely nature but as I said ask the breeder for some form of guarantee or walk away or failing that make sure you are very well insured.

There's a chap that every now and then advertises in the Courier - he's in Foxdale - but nothing to do with the named breeder!! He just advertises litters every now and again - Spaniel/Bichons - I got a puppy from him - she is the happiest little dog. The puppies are home reared - living in his front room not a concrete run, they are handled and treated like family pets and appeared to be well cared for, the mother was there to see - fantastic nature ...I can only judge by the puppy I have and I have to say she is a cracking little dog. In contrast I got a Westie from a breeder in Foxdale. Presented well at first viewing and all documentation, injections in order however upon collection she was cowering at the back of a cage - she has proved to be a 'difficult' dog with allergies etc - love her to bits aswell but would go with home produced puppy over any larger named breeder anyday.

Edited by daisy
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Have you considered a Bolognese? http://www.bolognese.org/18-2/

There is a top breeder on Island

http://www.champdogs...k/breeder/11468

Thanks for the info! We would most certainly consider a Bolognese! The Havanese, Bichon Frise, Maltese, Bolognese all seem very similar and would be right up our street! That said, we are not too concerned with pedigree - just a happy, healthy dog suitable for a family. Have been to MSPCA today to pop our name down for a small dog. Would love to take a rescue dog but am a little concerned about getting an older dog which might have social problems (We have a 3 year old daughter so the pet needs to be OK with small children).

biggrin.png Thanks for the link to the breeder.

Think there are a few cocker spaniel breeders on the island - and I think there is more than one breeder based in Foxdale. We got our Cocker Spaniel 7 years ago from Mrs Dillion in Foxdale, I would highly recommend Mrs Dillon. Brilliant!