Queen's Pier - £1.8M Spend

Mutley

Do you agree with the £1.8m spend on Queen's Pier  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not particularly a Pier Supporter, but if this pier had run out to sea from Harris or Loch Proms, MILLIONS would have been thrown at it to maintain it.

There was a pier in Douglas nr Broadway. It was uneconomic and was dismantled and sold off many years ago.

They've certainly spent a fortune on the upkeep of the road on Douglas Prom, and the rebuild of the Summerland site, haven't they. Yes, I see Non-Believer's logic.

One of the few good things about the financial crisis is that money won't be wasted on this (it will be wasted on sweetheart film deals instead)

Beaumaris pier refurbished (£5.6M) and re-opened

Llandudno having a new landing stage installed (£330k)

but they've got oodles of dosh waiting to be spent, and millions of visitors to use them sad.png

Also the pier at Bangor was refurbished in 1982, presently they need 1 million for repairs. Anglesey / Menai Straits is very nice part of North Wales.

Has anyone thought of people sponsoring the pier?

For instance, the pier can be broken down into individual parts and therefore each part has a cost value.

People who want the pier to be restored, could sponsor each individual part and this could be done by people all over the world, maybe by people who have a Manx connection, or those who would like to see the past restored or even for those who want to have their names linked and engraved to an important landscape feature, or even as a memorial plaque in memory of their loved ones.

What I'm saying is that this does not have to be looked at from a single viewpoint and paid via the public purse, as this option allows those who wish to be part of the restoration, to not only show their willingness but also to be remembered for their efforts in doing something that is worthwhile or memorable to them.

To make this work, It would need for someone to work out costings for each item, right down to the last nut, bolt and screw. Obviously there's loads of other bits and pieces to think about in the meantime, but eventually, people would pay up front for the item and the item is restored, replaced and engraved as soon as possible, to avoid increasing costs. The storage and identification of each piece would be challenging, but I see it as just a large jigsaw and providing you have all the pieces, then it's only a matter of time before it's finished.

Thoughts on this please

Good idea Manxy. Worth a try - has it not been tried before by the supporters though?

Abysmal fail when they tried the similar to save the Manxman though (similar costs also)...and she ended up scrapped with bits and bobs on e-bay recently. These days, with mass social media, Manx connections all around the world, a share scheme might well be worth a try. Whether it could pull together £7M, personally I doubt it. And what happens if it get's to £2M only say - do they refurb slowly out wards in stages?

Good idea Manxy. Worth a try - has it not been tried before by the supporters though?

Abysmal fail when they tried the similar to save the Manxman though (similar costs also)...and she ended up scrapped with bits and bobs on e-bay recently. These days, with mass social media, Manx connections all around the world, a share scheme might well be worth a try. Whether it could pull together £7M, personally I doubt it. And what happens if it get's to £2M only say - do they refurb slowly out wards in stages?

There's likely many headaches with this, but if there's anyone seriously considering restoring/renewing the pier, then having an item inventory has to be one of the key requirements. Until this is done, it indicates to me that there's no serious commitment from anyone apart from the huffing and blowing between those who would like it and those who are unwilling to pay for it.

Can the necessary Government department, please provide a complete inventory list, so that people can see the full scope and largeness of the project, which would allow people to explore this further? Thanks

Southport pier had a 'sponsor a plank' scheme, so it's been done before and must work, I remember seeing lots of plaques on it a few years ago.

There's only about two days a year that Southport pier actually gets to be above any water. Most of the year it's just a walkway above the sand, a mile from the water's edge!

We already sponsor a load of planks. And they're the reason the pier is falling into the sea.

Are you therefore suggesting that the public pay for this by either knocking it down or renovating it or would you agree that the idea of sponsorship might be the better option?

Maybe if they pulled the unecessary competing bus services and instead fed the railway line using the buses it might pay......

So they should take away the bus service that takes people from where they live to where they work; and insist people use a steam-powered train that does neither?

What I've suggested is a bus service to feed to and from the railway (rather than mirror it) to take people pretty much from their door to their destination.

As for the motive power, what's the issue with using locomotives designed to haul faster passenger trains by people who actually knew how to design something to do a job properly and make it last for years doing the same job? The times for the trains for the Ramsey and Peel Lines could certainly compete with modern buses and that was at a time when the railways were running on a shoestring fighting to survive. In terms of a service record none of the island's buses still in the government fleet have a service record anywhere near approaching that of the second youngest steam locomotive of the IMR. So which is really more cost effective given the initial outlay upon it....my vote's with the steam locomotive.

Anyway China was still largely using steam locomotive traction (and still does to an extent) for its Mainline railways. Last thing I heard they're becoming a major threat to the Western Economies and haven't experienced anywhere near the financial issues that Europe has.....

Edited by StuartT

Maybe if they pulled the unecessary competing bus services and instead fed the railway line using the buses it might pay......

So they should take away the bus service that takes people from where they live to where they work; and insist people use a steam-powered train that does neither?

What I've suggested is a bus service to feed to and from the railway (rather than mirror it) to take people pretty much from their door to their destination.

As for the motive power, what's the issue with using locomotives designed to haul faster passenger trains by people who actually knew how to design something to do a job properly and make it last for years doing the same job? The times for the trains for the Ramsey and Peel Lines could certainly compete with modern buses and that was at a time when the railways were running on a shoestring fighting to survive. In terms of a service record none of the island's buses still in the government fleet have a service record anywhere near approaching that of the second youngest steam locomotive of the IMR. So which is really more cost effective given the initial outlay upon it....my vote's with the steam locomotive.

Anyway China was still largely using steam locomotive traction (and still does to an extent) for its Mainline railways. Last thing I heard they're becoming a major threat to the Western Economies and haven't experienced anywhere near the financial issues that Europe has.....

Thats odd because the last time I was in China I didn't see any smoke or steam coming out of any of the trains I travelled on.

In fact the one from Shanghai airport didn't even have wheels,and it was running at 290mph.

I'll show them some photos of the Manx Steam Railway next time I'm there,you never know they might award us a contract to construct some steam engines for the Beijing to Shanghai line.

Edited by Lisenchuk