Queen's Pier - £1.8M Spend

Mutley

Do you agree with the £1.8m spend on Queen's Pier  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe if they pulled the unecessary competing bus services and instead fed the railway line using the buses it might pay......

So they should take away the bus service that takes people from where they live to where they work; and insist people use a steam-powered train that does neither?

What I've suggested is a bus service to feed to and from the railway (rather than mirror it) to take people pretty much from their door to their destination.

As for the motive power, what's the issue with using locomotives designed to haul faster passenger trains by people who actually knew how to design something to do a job properly and make it last for years doing the same job? The times for the trains for the Ramsey and Peel Lines could certainly compete with modern buses and that was at a time when the railways were running on a shoestring fighting to survive. In terms of a service record none of the island's buses still in the government fleet have a service record anywhere near approaching that of the second youngest steam locomotive of the IMR. So which is really more cost effective given the initial outlay upon it....my vote's with the steam locomotive.

Anyway China was still largely using steam locomotive traction (and still does to an extent) for its Mainline railways. Last thing I heard they're becoming a major threat to the Western Economies and haven't experienced anywhere near the financial issues that Europe has.....

Thats odd because the last time I was in China I didn't see any smoke or steam coming out of any of the trains I travelled on.

In fact the one from Shanghai airport didn't even have wheels,and it was running at 290mph.

I'll show them some photos of the Manx Stem Railway next time I'm there,you never know they might award us a contract to construct some steam engines for the Beijing to Shanghai line.

The official end of steam traction in China was in 2002, there was still lines running with steam traction in 2005 (http://www.markusworldwide.ch/Railways/Steam/China/JiTong/JiTongMain.htm) and many industrial systems still employ steam locomotives. You obviously didn't look hard enough. But then that's a problem I've noticed you have when you read peoples posts in general.....

Wonder what its scrap value is? Maybe it's cheaper to keep it rather than dismantle and sell for scrap.

All the while, it sits there, a sullen reminder of what once was.

Would the people of Ramsey feel insulted if government decided to abandon it?

We already sponsor a load of planks. And they're the reason the pier is falling into the sea.

Are you therefore suggesting that the public pay for this by either knocking it down or renovating it or would you agree that the idea of sponsorship might be the better option?

No, as was fairly evident, I was making a cheap joke.

Wonder what its scrap value is? Maybe it's cheaper to keep it rather than dismantle and sell for scrap.

All the while, it sits there, a sullen reminder of what once was.

Would the people of Ramsey feel insulted if government decided to abandon it?

The Government have abandoned everything else in Ramsey,I can't imagine the people feeling any more insulted than they already do.

• Like 1

Could it not be handed over to some charity that could raise money and do it up over time? It had a railway on it, so why not get some of the vintage railway fans involved, look what they have done at Laxey Mines and Groudle, just a thought.

Its too big, and the job too expensive, for that. We're talking millions rather than tens of thousands.

• 1 month later...
Could it not be handed over to some charity that could raise money and do it up over time? It had a railway on it, so why not get some of the vintage railway fans involved, look what they have done at Laxey Mines and Groudle, just a thought.

Its too big, and the job too expensive, for that. We're talking millions rather than tens of thousands.

Weeeeeeelllllllll, you know, maybe not. Say for example the trust it was given to applied for grants from heritage, lottery, etc, etc, got good buyers on board (not ones open to 'heres a bag of crisps, buy my metal'). I'm no expert but I imagine you could get a whole crew of engineers trained up working on a scheme like that. Yeah, if you had 5 well good welders & engineers, they'd be able to take on half a dozen trainees and oversee all the work, cheap and purposeful. Run a competition for structural engineers through universities, they'd love a project like that and then have a super engineer chose the winner, chuck em £5000 and jobs a good un. Yeah, that would work. I'm sure there would be loads of people who would love to train, work or just be involved in restoring something which is 'alright'. Maybe there are professionals who would want to donate their expertise for the general good of the island? I like how Laxey have sorted out their own stuff, the Sneafell mine water wheel, theWorking mans institute, maybe there are loads of pier enthusiasts?

• Like 1

Weeeeeeelllllllll, you know, maybe not. Say for example the trust it was given to applied for grants from heritage, lottery, etc, etc, got good buyers on board (not ones open to 'heres a bag of crisps, buy my metal'). I'm no expert but I imagine you could get a whole crew of engineers trained up working on a scheme like that. Yeah, if you had 5 well good welders & engineers, they'd be able to take on half a dozen trainees and oversee all the work, cheap and purposeful. Run a competition for structural engineers through universities, they'd love a project like that and then have a super engineer chose the winner, chuck em £5000 and jobs a good un. Yeah, that would work. I'm sure there would be loads of people who would love to train, work or just be involved in restoring something which is 'alright'. Maybe there are professionals who would want to donate their expertise for the general good of the island? I like how Laxey have sorted out their own stuff, the Sneafell mine water wheel, theWorking mans institute, maybe there are loads of pier enthusiasts?

I doubt the Government would go for that Mrs Bee, as there's no scope for brown letter consultants.

Nice idea though and attach that idea to my original suggestion some time back and goodness knows what thread, but the simple idea of having people sponsor replacement wood, railings, nuts and bolts etc, would assist budgeting of the place.

The lottery and heritage grants are just government money with different names. What makes you think that there is enough (or any) money there. All budgets are under strain, cuts, quite severe and then inflation, means Arts Council is now at 50% of what it was, Sports Council not much better. If all the money went on the pier what would happen to them and MNH and MHF, and the assets they manage and conserve and the services they provide?.

Nice though the idea is, preserving, renewing and opening Ramsey pier, my fear is that it won't happen, ever and that money spent "mothballing" is a waste and the economic reality is that it should be taken down.

Even if there was the capital for the restoration is there money to operate and maintain. Remember it got into the state it is in because of lack of income and thus lack of repair and maintenance in the first place. Expensive things, Victorian cast iron structures, to paint and upkeep. and never ending.

Funny how there's always money in the coffers for waste of time projects that seem never ending, there's work going on all over the place just to keep some in a job

Mothballing is money down the drain, they'd be better spending that money on starting actual renovation of the pier head

• 2 months later...

South Parade Pier in Southsea to be sold at auction

A Victorian pier is to be sold at auction for a guide price of about £200,000.

South Parade Pier in Southsea, Portsmouth, goes under the hammer on 12 December at the Ageas Bowl, Southampton.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-20394781