Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Fossils

Cadburys' Conundrum

Still got the book somewhere, remember my dad zooming round the island us all in tow. Recall on spot was the arboritum at St Johns.

Does anyone have memories of this?

http://www.treasurec...drum/index.html

Yes I remember it although I was too young to freally know what it was about. Do you have any memories of it?

I was off-Island at the time but narrowly missed out on getting the one buried at Stainmore on the A66.

I believe that the one with the Laxey Wheel picture clue was located in Maughold churchyard.

I still have the book.

It was totally addictive at the time.

I remember a friend ringing up at 03.30 in the morning shouting that he'd solved it and was off up the mountain to dig at 'the' spot. He'd pick us up in ten minutes! :blink:

There was something about the goose's bottom though. If you set the picture over the OS map and imagined an egg dropping, it landed somewhere near Ballaugh if I recall correctly! lol

The Maughold 'Moregold' clue seemed too obvious, but we chased to the churchyard there to be told by the vicar(?) that there was nothing there and move along!

Good clean fun though. They should do another.

Edited by Addie

Wasn't there a major national concern in the UK over ancient monuments being dug up by over-enthusiastic egg hunters, that led to the competition being shut down early?

I remember it. Was about 12 at the time. It was the talk of the Island for weeks, with people heading off every evening and weekend with spades, digging all over the place for the "Golden Egg". It was great fun. Everyone knew it was in Maughold but couldn't find the damn thing. The Queenie Festival had something similar the other year which had a similar kind of excitement. Time for another one!

Oh Yes I remember it well, didn't some of it get called off, as people were traipsing round fields scaring the sheep that were lambing?