Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
ThankU

Tt/mgp Fatalities

I dont know how many times Ive heard that the TT is the most dangerous activity on the Planet,

None for me. This thread is about as useful as comparing the TT to cancer.

Couldn't agree more. For what could have sufficed as 'Yes, it's damn dangerous!', you have pages of mental masturbation as people compare the dangers of the TT and seek to justify it or whimper on about how outrageous it is that people die in it and (somehow) therefore it should be banned, again and again and again. Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

Many years ago almost ALL racing was on circuits such as the TT course. However many drivers/riders were getting killed and the universal attitude was enough is enough. Since then (lates 60s/early 70s) all the road racing circuits have either gone or improved dramatically toan extent where fatalities are now almost nil

Except the Isle of Man which seems to be stuck in the dark ages ....

One day we (or our children) will look back on these days and think why did we let this madness happen for so long when the world moved on many decades earlier

That is just not true. I notice you haven't named a circuit from the late 60's/early 70's or before that is comparable to the TT course. That is because there aren't any.

the nurburgring i think would qualify?? ironically i think racing stopped on it because it was deemed too dangerous? more ironically it is now used for the public to whiz round after paying a few quid for the privilage even though it is still dangerous??

the nurburgring i think would qualify?? ironically i think racing stopped on it because it was deemed too dangerous? more ironically it is now used for the public to whiz round after paying a few quid for the privilage even though it is still dangerous??

At least the Nurburgring locals dont have risk their lives using the "ring" to get to work!

Many years ago almost ALL racing was on circuits such as the TT course. However many drivers/riders were getting killed and the universal attitude was enough is enough. Since then (lates 60s/early 70s) all the road racing circuits have either gone or improved dramatically toan extent where fatalities are now almost nil

One day we (or our children) will look back on these days and think why did we let this madness happen for so long when the world moved on many decades earlier

That is just not true. I notice you haven't named a circuit from the late 60's/early 70's or before that is comparable to the TT course. That is because there aren't any.

No it wouldn't, it is a purpose built race track, not a public road. Racing was stopped on the original nurburgring because F1 drivers at the time considered it too dangerous in a similar way in which world championship motorcycle racing was stopped on the TT course because of the thoughts of some competitors.

You are correct that the original nurburgring is now used for the public to whizz round & in this form is still to this day responsible for several deaths per year as a result.

Perhaps Germany are still in the dark ages too then?

No it wouldn't, it is a purpose built race track, not a public road. Racing was stopped on the original nurburgring because F1 drivers at the time considered it too dangerous in a similar way in which world championship motorcycle racing was stopped on the TT course because of the thoughts of some competitors.

You are correct that the original nurburgring is now used for the public to whizz round & in this form is still to this day responsible for several deaths per year as a result.

Perhaps Germany are still in the dark ages too then?

hockenheim was what i was thinking of, does that qualify??

Edited by WTF

They will want to ban the Grand National next after two Horses being killed yesterday

There's no reason to do that. They knew the risks...

That's where you're wrong, the Nurburgring is still classed as a public road and the law of the road still applies there. Drivers/riders can still get penalised by the local traffic police who regularly use a police helicopter to monitor the road.

Also the popularity of road racing is increasing not decreasing with new events, new riders and teams and continued and increased interest from major manufacturers.

It is very easy to accuse the IOM of being stuck in the dark ages, I have heard the same argument used at our allowing of greenlaning. The simple fact is though it is not true.

I can ..............Clermont Ferrand, Montjuich, Eifelrennen, Clady, Assen, Le Mans, Nurburgring, Spa, Geneva, Sachsenring, Albi, Charade ...how many more would you like me to name. All used at World championship level at some point and either altered to be made safer or no longer exist due to fatalities.

As for increased interest from major manufacturers can you name some please? Where is the interest from the MAJOR advertisers/sponsors ....none because they don't want to be associated with death in sport

Sorry Monkey Boy but on this you're talking through your backside

Also the popularity of road racing is increasing not decreasing with new events, new riders and teams and continued and increased interest from major manufacturers.

It is very easy to accuse the IOM of being stuck in the dark ages, I have heard the same argument used at our allowing of greenlaning. The simple fact is though it is not true.

I can ..............Clermont Ferrand, Montjuich, Eifelrennen, Clady, Assen, Le Mans, Nurburgring, Spa, Geneva, Sachsenring, Albi, Charade ...how many more would you like me to name. All used at World championship level at some point and either altered to be made safer or no longer exist due to fatalities.

As for increased interest from major manufacturers can you name some please? Where is the interest from the MAJOR advertisers/sponsors ....none because they don't want to be associated with death in sport

Sorry Monkey Boy but on this you're talking through your backside

Yes there were many road circuits at one time as most racing was based on public roads. That is how the TT came to be held on the island in the first place, as the UK government would not allow it.

There are major sponsors such as Monster Energy, a major international energy drinks manufacturer. The TT is just one of the events which suits their business model. The worlds top manufacturers of helmets and leathers, Arai and Dainese both have committed to be TT partners and produce special edition products for the event. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Ducati have all had promotions based on their 50 year associations with the TT and continue to support the racing through their importers. Other manufacturers also have an official pressence at the event. You won't see the actual MotoGP or WSBK teams of the same manufacturers represented as these sports have diversified away from road racing.

There is more international interest in the TT than there has been since the 60's and it is screened throughout the world.

The TT is not an event to promote Dolce & Gabbana, Cartier, Tesco and such like, but associated products fit in well and the TT attracts top names in that respect.

This of course is not an attempt to justify the death toll, that is a matter for the individual rider. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this of course, but public opinion is rarely taken into account when decisions are made about these things. To change something you need to express more than an opinion, you need to be in a position of authority with an expert opinion!

People have been complaining for years about horses being forced into the Grand National, it hasn't prevented the animal death toll there!

Edited by Max Power

They will want to ban the Grand National next after two Horses being killed yesterday

Actually, it is three dead horses and a jockey in hospital in a coma - Very dangerous sport. Probably more dangerous than the TT

Actually, it is three dead horses and a jockey in hospital in a coma - Very dangerous sport. Probably more dangerous than the TT

Now if they ran the National through the streets it would make a more apt comaprison.

As for the Grand National, changes can be made and probably will i.e. smaller fences etc

The TT is not the same as changes can't/won't be made so no comparison between the two

As for the Grand National, changes can be made and probably will i.e. smaller fences etc

The TT is not the same as changes can't/won't be made so no comparison between the two

Despite the huge protestations every year, simple and inexpensive changes have not been made to the Aintree course which may have prevented the 38 deaths there since 1999? Many safety changes have been made to the TT course as discussed earlier in this thread.

Edited by Max Power

Despite the huge protestations every year, simple and inexpensive changes have not been made to the Aintree course which may have prevented the 38 deaths there since 1999? Many safety changes have been made to the TT course as discussed earlier in this thread.

Yes changes may have been made to the TT circuit but people are still dying. You can't make the TT any safer than it already is but with the National they can. As I said they can reduce the height of the jumps ensuring ensuring NO fatalities. And it will happen. That's a huge television event watched by millions in the UK. Which the TT is not and therefore comes under gretaer scrutiny.

As for major investors at the TT, okay Monster but they are throwing money at anything that moves at present, including a lot of well less known events and it will be interesting to see if they stay. You can't get bigger than Dainese really and I think a lot of that has been to do with Guy Martin more than anything else. They were responsible for bring Rossi etc to the TT, don't let anyone else fool you otherwise by insisting they were responsible. However it's to the TT's credit that Dainese have stayed. Arai have been involved for years but they are one of many helmet manufacturers as Dainese are when it comes to clothing. Where are all the rest, why aren't they fighting one another to get involved with this 'unique' sporting occasion. If the TT is really an important player in the world of motorsport then it would be awash with all the big names.

As for the manufacturers what have they really done of late to support the TT. A tent at the Grandstand?

They're certainly not backing the race teams.

Yes changes may have been made to the TT circuit but people are still dying. You can't make the TT any safer than it already is but with the National they can. As I said they can reduce the height of the jumps ensuring ensuring NO fatalities. And it will happen. That's a huge television event watched by millions in the UK. Which the TT is not and therefore comes under gretaer scrutiny.

They were talking about this on TV this morning. As they make the fences lower and easier, the race becomes faster and the animals are still dying, but for different reasons. One broke it's neck, one its back, not by falling. Three dead horses and one jockey in a coma all in under 15 minutes.